Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Media and the Swans (merged / renamed thread)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Other than being too Melbourne based I think the Melbourne media are too far in the pocket of the AFL. For instance any discussion about the AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan and his attitude to Sydney Swans, the rules, the umpiring, the media, his taking an overseas holiday in the middle of an AFL season has been very diluted. The fact is the majority of the media in Melbourne are so in the AFL pocket they are mates with 'Gil The Glib". This bloke promised us cheaper food, drinks etc at the footy. The fact is all of that has risen about 10% in the last year. He said Sydney deserved the trading ban with logic only he and the AFL commission run by Mike Firzpatrick, the man who voted on Sydney playing games at ANZ Stadium without consulting Sydney Swans because he had a pecuniary interest in ANZ, could follow. The Melbourne based media were cold on this issue. they said sweet @@@@ all. That is because 'Gil The Glib' has the media in his pocket. I'd love him to do the Robert Hare psychopathic test to see just how many markers he makes. I'd make a guess at about between 20 & 30 out of 40. But we will never know because I think he will be too afraid to take the test.
    Infuriating to watch as a Swans fan. Don't watch any AFL shows now except the games. Feel better because of it. Fans down here on planet Melbourne- consciousness stays within borders.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    I think he's in their pocket just as much as their in his pocket. It's a cosy little relationship. They go pretty easy on him n his cronies when you think long n hard about it. N he feeds them stuff they want to let out. It's sickening watching this pantomime on tv on a weekly basis. First the Essendon drug scandal - the majority of media personalities went pretty light on an organisation that tried to cover up a systematic doping regime at a club, 2nd the Sydney trading ban - hardly awimper from the Melbourne media, perfect example was Robinson on 360 saying it was unfair all the while whately, king n co sat there with stunned silence giving Robinson the stair that said "we're not supposed to say that" it's when I knew the scam was on, thirdly several inappropriate relationships was happening in the organisation n it was pretty quiet from the media considering what they should have asked, fourthly conflict of interest in regard to stadium contracts with commissioners making very good money out of it- hardly has this ever been raised in the media. I could go on n fill a novel. It's the old boys club mentality of I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine. I will give Robinson credit where it's due, he comes across like the uncle at the party that's had a few to many annoying the teenagers but he does occasionally ask a question that no1 has the guts to like last night saying he doesn't believe footy is as good as it's made out to be. N we're all expected to sit there like peasants lapping it up. It's why they hate social media n bag it at every opportunity cause it exposes their dirty little sham.
    Incestuous set up re the media. A couple of weeks ago, Caroline Wilson wrote a puff piece on Buckley. Knew then he'd be reappointed despite Eddie's huffing and puffing. They all use each other with leaks etc. Big game that sucks in the masses. Never take articles on face value any more. Agree Robbo is probably the only one who causes discomfort to the status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Incestuous set up re the media. A couple of weeks ago, Caroline Wilson wrote a puff piece on Buckley. Knew then he'd be reappointed despite Eddie's huffing and puffing. They all use each other with leaks etc. Big game that sucks in the masses. Never take articles on face value any more. Agree Robbo is probably the only one who causes discomfort to the status quo.
    The journalists/commentators might be gaining a bit short term but their killing their industry long term. Within 5 years social media will easily surpass MSN when in comes to obtaining your footy news. I can understand someone like Mike Sheahan being like this as his career is vertually over but long term journalists with 30-40 years left in the industry are cutting themselves off at the legs. The AFL can see this n they like it as they feel they will gain a lot more control over what gets let out in public but long term the fans will also turn their back on them n look to forums like this for more accurate information with honest healthy discussion.

Senior Player
    Because the game is only played in Australia (let's face it barely anyone OS has even heard of it, let alone cares one iota)
    there is always going to be an in built insularity around footy. It's big fish in a small pond stuff. The money in it is miniscule
    compared to international sports (the winner of the US Open next week will receive $4.8M for playing seven tennis matches)
    and even other sports that are just played in one or two other countries. So growth in the sport is always going to be fairly
    limited, but even that will be stymied while the administration, the bulk of the professional teams and the footy media is
    based in a location that only has 15% of the countries population. It's a pity, it's such a great sport, but it's not really going
    anywhere. But maybe that's what people ultimately want.

I highly recommend watching "fair game" on SBS on-demand. It's about Hertier Lumumba but explores many narratives including Eddie, Robbo and Nick Maxwell.

Maxwell comes across very well and is a real asset to the giants. Worth a look if we need to top up assistant s / footy people.

Senior Player
    I think the Lumumba doco is on free-to-air this Sunday night. Nick Maxwell is a smart and interesting character, though I do think
    he is going to get busted for on field coaching at some stage. Barry is right, we should hire him.

If we make it to the granny, I predict that we will all of a sudden become the darling of the southern media.
    We'll get the kind of attention that the doggies got last year.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    If we make it to the granny, I predict that we will all of a sudden become the darling of the southern media.
    We'll get the kind of attention that the doggies got last year.
    Not if we were to play the Tigers!

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    The journalists/commentators might be gaining a bit short term but their killing their industry long term. Within 5 years social media will easily surpass MSN when in comes to obtaining your footy news. I can understand someone like Mike Sheahan being like this as his career is vertually over but long term journalists with 30-40 years left in the industry are cutting themselves off at the legs. The AFL can see this n they like it as they feel they will gain a lot more control over what gets let out in public but long term the fans will also turn their back on them n look to forums like this for more accurate information with honest healthy discussion.
    Yep, social media will be the way to go, can see it now. Two kids in Croatia dreaming up a story that Isaac Heeney is being traded to West Coast, contracted for 10 years on $3m a year.

Way to go, more fake news.
    sprite

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Not if we were to play the Tigers!
    Yep. The Fairy Cubs are the latest fad down south. They even get gifted a home final they don't deserve. What a story should they win......make it happen Umps!

Quote Originally Posted by sprite View Post
    Yep, social media will be the way to go, can see it now. Two kids in Croatia dreaming up a story that Isaac Heeney is being traded to West Coast, contracted for 10 years on $3m a year.

Way to go, more fake news.
    I said forums like this. I didn't say bigfooty. And if you spend any amount of time on it you soon work who talks @@@@@ n who doesn't. Also how is your hypothetical any different from the garbage that gets pumped out by msm now? Sam Clueless McClure on talking footy "a significant moment in the history of the Nth Melbourne football club. As we go to air tonight..." oh ffs it's a contract extension for Brad Scott not Carey jumping into bed with the vice captains mrs or Norf grabbing a plethora of stars under the ten year rule and going on to win their first premiership N if you want fake news he then goes on to talk about Scott possibly going to Gold Coast n getting an offer even though GC haven't even formed a committee to look at new coaches. He also goes on to talk about weighing up of GC offers vs Norf offers. That's fake news at its best. Lastly a lot of the stories on msm come from forums, look at the recent breaking news of a possible move of Martin to Sydney. It started on bf to take the p!$$ n kept its legs from months ago all the while everyone knew it was a p!$$take n then you get the drop kicks from msm who ran with it. MSM is dieing in front of our eyes n blindly a lot of them put their head in the sand pretending their not the reason it's dieing. Sadly we'll lose good journalists like Jake Niall.

And to add on it was Ludwig who broke the news to us that Reid n Jones would definitely re-sign with four year contracts not msm.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Because the game is only played in Australia (let's face it barely anyone OS has even heard of it, let alone cares one iota)
    there is always going to be an in built insularity around footy. It's big fish in a small pond stuff. The money in it is miniscule
    compared to international sports (the winner of the US Open next week will receive $4.8M for playing seven tennis matches)
    and even other sports that are just played in one or two other countries. So growth in the sport is always going to be fairly
    limited, but even that will be stymied while the administration, the bulk of the professional teams and the footy media is
    based in a location that only has 15% of the countries population. It's a pity, it's such a great sport, but it's not really going
    anywhere. But maybe that's what people ultimately want.
    Look at it this way though. If it was an American game run professionally how the NFL is run this great game would have been marketed to the world n more than likely spread to other countries. Instead it's run by the hillbillies who appear to be from a bygone era. I've watched NFL a bit n their presentation n professionalism is first class. We have a Ferrari getting driven by a person who shouldn't even be allowed on a bike. but is anyone surprised? Do you seriously think the boys club could or want to compete on an international stage? You only have to look what happened when WADA rode into town n put the yokels in their place.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast