Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Media and the Swans (merged / renamed thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    Look at it this way though. If it was an American game run professionally how the NFL is run this great game would have been marketed to the world n more than likely spread to other countries. Instead it's run by the hillbillies who appear to be from a bygone era. I've watched NFL a bit n their presentation n professionalism is first class. We have a Ferrari getting driven by a person who shouldn't even be allowed on a bike. but is anyone surprised? Do you seriously think the boys club could or want to compete on an international stage? You only have to look what happened when WADA rode into town n put the yokels in their place.
    I would suggest the similarities between the NFL and AFL (even in terms of media and administration) are more pronounced than their differences. The market is the key difference (which is the main reason they can thumb their nose at organisations like WADA).

The complaints, whining, ill-informed opinions and frustrations that frequently occupy AFL fan boards are also replicated on those with NFL allegiances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Look at it this way though. If it was an American game run professionally how the NFL is run this great game would have been marketed to the world n more than likely spread to other countries. Instead it's run by the hillbillies who appear to be from a bygone era. I've watched NFL a bit n their presentation n professionalism is first class. We have a Ferrari getting driven by a person who shouldn't even be allowed on a bike. but is anyone surprised? Do you seriously think the boys club could or want to compete on an international stage? You only have to look what happened when WADA rode into town n put the yokels in their place.
    Completely agree, re the NFL. The professionalism is staggering in comparison to our pathetic efforts. If you want to be blown away by a broadcaster (everyone else) record NFL RedZone in two weeks and watch Scott Hanson single-handedly host up to eight games at once for six/seven hours straight!! That guy is a machine!! Whatsmore, he is humble enough to go back and correct the names he says incorrectly, unlike the numerous names our presenters get wrong in every single broadcast.
    C'mon Chels!

Senior Player
    Professional sports in the US is a whole different universe to here I think. I've spent a considerable amount of time there over a long
    period because of my job, and I think besides the scale of the place, there is a long history of private ownership there, and so a
    long history of sports being a business. They've been doing it for a long time and they've gotten pretty good at it. As a punter, when
    you go to one of the new ballparks there, you think "Whoa, why can't we have this?". Well we can, but it will take private ownership
    to do it. Not quite sure that is in the Australian ethos right at the moment. But probably just need a couple clubs to go broke and
    some very wealthy people will decide they want a piece of it. And it probably won't be the end of the earth. When you meet a die hard
    Dodgers fan in LA, they don't care who owns the team, they are just people who love their team and the game and those @@@@ty Dodger
    Dogs and their kids little league team. They are just the same as footy fans here, probably spending too much time posting on one of
    the fan sites.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Professional sports in the US is a whole different universe to here I think. I've spent a considerable amount of time there over a long
    period because of my job, and I think besides the scale of the place, there is a long history of private ownership there, and so a
    long history of sports being a business. They've been doing it for a long time and they've gotten pretty good at it. As a punter, when
    you go to one of the new ballparks there, you think "Whoa, why can't we have this?". Well we can, but it will take private ownership
    to do it. Not quite sure that is in the Australian ethos right at the moment. But probably just need a couple clubs to go broke and
    some very wealthy people will decide they want a piece of it. And it probably won't be the end of the earth. When you meet a die hard
    Dodgers fan in LA, they don't care who owns the team, they are just people who love their team and the game and those @@@@ty Dodger
    Dogs and their kids little league team. They are just the same as footy fans here, probably spending too much time posting on one of
    the fan sites.
    If private ownership was the causal factor in broadcasting/journalistic professionalism, the English Premier League would have excellent standards. Not the case. If you want to see fake news, follow that, it is absolutely horrendous!! Makes Barrett and co look like level-headed, decent blokes. And every game has a narrative that must create the most headlines. Martin Tyler is the exception to the above criticism.
    C'mon Chels!

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Not if we were to play the Tigers!
    I'm certain the Tigers are this years dogs

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by sidswan View Post
    I'm certain the Tigers are this years dogs
    I'm very worried this is the case too. The 'vibe' is certainly building! I hope the 'fairycubs' go out in straight sets.....and we'll take care of the 'fairybombers' in week one.....

Quote Originally Posted by penga View Post
    Completely agree, re the NFL. The professionalism is staggering in comparison to our pathetic efforts. If you want to be blown away by a broadcaster (everyone else) record NFL RedZone in two weeks and watch Scott Hanson single-handedly host up to eight games at once for six/seven hours straight!! That guy is a machine!! Whatsmore, he is humble enough to go back and correct the names he says incorrectly, unlike the numerous names our presenters get wrong in every single broadcast.
    It's the media that does my head in the most when comparing the 2. Our media sound like a bunch of m8's at the local having a yarn over a pint or 2 all the time trying to take the p!$$. The occasional times I've sat to watch some NFL I'm blown away by how consise n clear n professional it all sounds. The cricket seen the writing on the wall with Warne n co talking about pizza toppings n the old back in my day crap n that's why for about 4 years I couldn't be bothered watching, it was amateurish at best. Thanx mcNamara????That's more what I'm getting at when I talk about professionalism. Just commentate the game n give some insights, their not the reason I turn on the tv. Our sport will never grow unless it gets out of pandering to the garden variety bogan.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    I think the Lumumba doco is on free-to-air this Sunday night. Nick Maxwell is a smart and interesting character, though I do think
    he is going to get busted for on field coaching at some stage. Barry is right, we should hire him.
    Rhys Shaw was runner for swans last week, maybe he is going to be swans version of Nick Maxwell

Just wondering if anyone saw Talking Hawthorn last night?

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Just wondering if anyone saw Talking Hawthorn last night?
    Yes, Clarko picked us for the flag.
    sprite

ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED - THIS IS IMPORTANT

The ABC's online AFL section has NO account of the Sydney Swans record-busting finals game.!!!!!
    Pathetic in the extreme.
    WTF do we have the ABC for ?

Does Australian Football in Sydney actually exist . FFS.

AFL - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Lodge a complaint here Contact the ABC

I've lost count of the number of times I've had to point out NRL stories on the the AFL page.
    The ABC are quick to respond usually only takes about a week.!!!
    give it to the game

Same thing when I listened to the ABC news this morning .... extensive reports of Tennis and Soccer , but AFL....nothing.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast