Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Media and the Swans (merged / renamed thread)

Media and the Swans (merged / renamed thread)

Everyone outside of Melbourne regularly complains about the Melbourne media bias but is it any surprise when you predominantly have media personalities that support Victorian based clubs. Here is a link from bf that shows how much of the media support Victorian based clubs

Who do they barrack for? | BigFooty AFL Forum

The worst part is that they can't leave their club allegiances at the door when commentating/writing.

Of the people listed, ZERO supporters of Lions, Gold Coast, Swans, GWS or Adelaide.

I assume the posters know their Melbourne based media (of whom I have not heard of many), and in turn they do not know of the interstate media.

Senior Player
    Sometimes I think the AFL's benchmark for success is that the code has to be travelling along better than the other codes (RL, Rugby
    Union, soccer). Achieving that of course isn't hard. Look at league and union these days, a complete shambles. The AFL pat themselves
    on the back for meeting that KPI and that justifies all the inequities, inconsistencies & immoral behaviour like the uneven draw, Melbourne
    bias, unprofessional umpiring, never ending tampering with the rules, addiction to gambling money, conflicts of interest etc being pushed
    under the carpet.
    The footy media is mostly a bunch of fawning groupies towing the company line, and for a lot of them it's probably never crossed their
    tiny brains that there might be a bigger picture and it would be helped if they at least pretended to be objective. Even OTC, which is meant
    to be more at the high brow end of footy discussion, Healy & co are never more than about five minutes away from forming a little cheer
    squad and chanting "isn't football just great this season". It's just so lame.

Veterans List
    To be fair a majority of the media down here spoke about how we were shafted by the umpires. Ok so it's only one thing but it's better than nothing ????.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Of the people listed, ZERO supporters of Lions, Gold Coast, Swans, GWS or Adelaide.

I assume the posters know their Melbourne based media (of whom I have not heard of many), and in turn they do not know of the interstate media.
    Gerard Healy not Swans?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    To be fair a majority of the media down here spoke about how we were shafted by the umpires. Ok so it's only one thing but it's better than nothing ????.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
    Over the last few weeks they've been dragged kicking n screaming to talk about us. mind you it's only been a small amount. Nothing compared to the weekly circle jerk all year over one of St Kilda, Richmond, Melbourne or Essendon. This week it's Richmonds turn.

Gerard Healy not Swans?

He wasn't listed on the relevant page

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    Everyone outside of Melbourne regularly complains about the Melbourne media bias but is it any surprise when you predominantly have media personalities that support Victorian based clubs. Here is a link from bf that shows how much of the media support Victorian based clubs

Who do they barrack for? | BigFooty AFL Forum

The worst part is that they can't leave their club allegiances at the door when commentating/writing.
    It's a good point you make Boddo. Just about everybody born in Victoria will end up with a favourite team. Media no different - don't want to start thinking about umpires!

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    It's a good point you make Boddo. Just about everybody born in Victoria will end up with a favourite team. Media no different - don't want to start thinking about umpires!
    It's not that they have a team they follow it's that they let their bias shine throw n the perfect example was Mark Robinson "reporting" on the Essendon drugs saga n non reporting of things outside of Victoria. Adelaide n GWS have sat 1st n 2nd predominantly for most of the season n like I said all I keep hearing is a weekly circle jerk on St Kilda, Richmond, Melbourne or Essendon. I fully accept it on Melbourne radio or in a Melbourne newspaper selling their product locally but not on NATIONAL afl show like OTC, AFL 360, Talking footy etc that's why a lot of Victorian club supporters are so illiterate when it comes to anything outside Melbourne. It's why they have no understanding how Sydney have built a great list, no it's given to them by academies n the afl let them have more money. It'll be the same with Brisbane as they build their list over the next few years n it becomes a very good side, the Victorian public will say the same thing N the usual suspects will jump up n down like spoilt kids throwing their toys out the cot. The clubs are national, the competition is national but the media are still stuck in the old vfl days.

Neil Cordy?

Veterans List
    It's not that they have a team they follow it's that they let their bias shine throw n the perfect example was Mark Robinson "reporting" on the Essendon drugs saga n non reporting of things outside of Victoria. Adelaide n GWS have sat 1st n 2nd predominantly for most of the season n like I said all I keep hearing is a weekly circle jerk on St Kilda, Richmond, Melbourne or Essendon. I fully accept it on Melbourne radio or in a Melbourne newspaper selling their product locally but not on NATIONAL afl show like OTC, AFL 360, Talking footy etc that's why a lot of Victorian club supporters are so illiterate when it comes to anything outside Melbourne. It's why they have no understanding how Sydney have built a great list, no it's given to them by academies n the afl let them have more money. It'll be the same with Brisbane as they build their list over the next few years n it becomes a very good side, the Victorian public will say the same thing N the usual suspects will jump up n down like spoilt kids throwing their toys out the cot. The clubs are national, the competition is national but the media are still stuck in the old vfl days.
    +1 ....Well said.

I think it's similar in a lot of places. I had a Crows supporter say to me yesterday something along the lines of "I was really worried about the Swans but after last weekend I'm not" (insert: more scoring shots, only lost because of inaccuracies, Eddie Betts decision on Mills robbed the Crows etc etc). I tried to be respectful & diplomatic. Same Crows supporter was reading the Adelaide paper and proudly declared that the umpires declared that the made a mistake and it was the wrong decision - and he followed that up with the umpires rarely admit they're wrong.

Trying to be diplomatic I suggested that instead of getting his news from a biased Adelaide paper, he should read the AFL app news where contentious decisions are are discussed weekly - including the lopsided free kick count in the very same game.

Was not well received.

But the local media will report whatever crap appeases the local readers (although I think it's probably worse in SA as they think the universe is against them).

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast