Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Match Day Thread Rnd 23. Sydney

Buddy's performance pretty much off the charts as far as Champion Data are concerned. More than twice as good as his 2-year average, which is already pretty impressive.

Screen Shot 2017-08-27 at 7.43.02 am.jpg

Glad to see Horse give recognition to the players in his presser - they deserve it and he blames them in the same measure when they fail. He's not a huge tactician, rather he coaches a simple, effective style and then works to get the most out of his whole playing group. The Swans' approach puts a lot of responsibility on to the players and happily the culture and the leadership is strong enough to sustain this. While the game plan relies on us doing the fundamentals well, it's not without sophistication and we adapt well - playing tempo footy when we need to, sometimes playing more direct other times switching back and forth, looking for an opening more patiently.

The Age/realfooty has published Daisy Pearce's AA side: Daisy Pearce's 2017 All-Australian AFL team . I think it's a pretty good side. Interestingly she selected Horse as the coach. The other point of interest are her comments about playing one or two ruckmen (which I think will be music to Ludwig's ears as he has been saying the same all year):

I've picked my team based on the premise that if it did, it would need to be equipped for the game's current trends. I'll use the ruck conundrum as an example. There have been a number of outstanding ruckmen in season 2017, making it difficult to pick one. The temptation is there to select two and have one rotate forward or off the bench but the high-intensity modern game just doesn't allow it. Coaches with multiple ruck options at their disposal have seemingly agonised over it all year.

Not at all likely but, given the rucks injury travails last night, any hope yet for Naismith/Aliir rucking combo? I think we'll continue to play two rucks although it continues to be difficult to pick which.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    Buddy's performance pretty much off the charts as far as Champion Data are concerned. More than twice as good as his 2-year average, which is already pretty impressive.
    According to that same graph, Mills had his career best game.

PS. the final result would have been no surprise to Champion data who had daylight between the two clubs - the worst 22 we have selected this year was significantly better than their best 22.

Screen Shot 2017-08-27 at 8.05.48 am.png

(Black is the range of teams we have selected this year, green is the sides selected this week, yellow is the sides last week).

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Loved seeing Hewett trying to hand off to Buddy late in the game to try (unsuccessfully) & give him another one

But one thing I don't understand ... Buddy is allowed to run across George's wasn't he? Just not the Carlton player? If that's true, why couldn't George handball to Buddy (ie play on)? I know that Buddy usually runs around the back (away from the man on the mark) but the Blues would have been looking for that. Or have the rules changed since I played (which was a long time ago, I must admit).
    Pretty sure no one can run between the player and the mark. That is why players always run around the back to take a handball.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisi View Post
    ?..Wonderful game by Franklin and seriously one of the best individual performances I have ever seen. ( member for over 20 years now.)
    Terrific performance from Lance. But for spine chilling, OMG moments, you can't beat those Tony Lockett vignettes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Pretty sure no one can run between the player and the mark. That is why players always run around the back to take a handball.
    I always thought the team with the free kick could run through, but I just checked the rules and here's what it says:

16.1.2 Protected Area
    The Protected Area is a corridor which extends from 10 metres either
    side of The Mark to 10 metres either side of, and 5-metre arc behind,
    the Player with the football, as illustrated in Diagram 2. No Player shall
    enter and remain in the Protected Area unless the field Umpire calls
    �Play On� or the Player from the opposing Team is accompanying or
    following within 2 metres of their opponent. Any Player caught in
    the Protected Area must make every endeavour to clear the
    Protected Area immediately.

Key words here would be "no player". I think that rule is generally applied fairly leniently in allowing players on the same team as the kicker to cross to the other side of the mark, but in the case of Buddy it was a bit too blatant.

Which one was Buddy's best goal:

His roving off the pack with Sam and Will to get the ball on his boot in one movement and he still gets the left to right signature curl to nail it was mine.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Not at all likely but, given the rucks injury travails last night, any hope yet for Naismith/Aliir rucking combo? I think we'll continue to play two rucks although it continues to be difficult to pick which.
    I did have a wry smile last night when, after this forum spent much of the week pouring scorn on the idea of worrying about in-game injuries to ruckmen, that both our ruckmen should go down injured and blues should come back into it as a consequence.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post

His roving off the pack with Sam and Will to get the ball on his boot in one movement and he still gets the left to right signature curl to nail it was mine.
    Easily the back-heel for me. Best goal since Jude Bolton's kick did a 90-degree bounce in front of the behind posts and went through for a goal and Roos threw the empty jelly-snakes packet away in disbelief and disgust that someone else had finished them.

It just goes to show that some days you are hot and when you are, everything goes your way.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    Easily the back-heel for me. Best goal since Jude Bolton's kick did a 90-degree bounce in front of the behind posts and went through for a goal and Roos threw the empty jelly-snakes packet away in disbelief and disgust that someone else had finished them.

It just goes to show that some days you are hot and when you are, everything goes your way.
    Jude's was amazing Jude Bolton | Footy Bounces at Right Angle | AFL 2010 Sydney v Western Bulldogs Round 21 - YouTube

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post

Easily his best goal. Ball landed many rows back in the crowd. Off one step, split the middle and travelled over 50 metres. Unreal!