Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: All Australian

All Australian

Kennedy & Franklin named in the all-Australian squad of 40

Crows dominate 2017 All Australian squad - M.afl.com.au

TWO players?!

Veteran Site Admin
    Hardly surprising our representation is a long way down on last year but I'd been hoping Reg might finally get some recognition and sneak into the squad. He's not a defender that the media faps over much but he's been a rock all year (and last year too), has barely put a foot wrong, and has held together the best backline in the AFL (with a little help from Rampe, once he returned).

What have they got against Reg?

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Hardly surprising our representation is a long way down on last year but I'd been hoping Reg might finally get some recognition and sneak into the squad. He's not a defender that the media faps over much but he's been a rock all year (and last year too), has barely put a foot wrong, and has held together the best backline in the AFL (with a little help from Rampe, once he returned).
    Lloyd couldn't Force his way into the squad?

+1
    The Grundy non selection is rediculous. He's the exact type you build a defence around. That rock that never gives in and performs every week.

Hardly surprising because the melbourne media cant seem to see the swans in any more light than reflecting on our terrible start to the season but we have been the best performed club since round six .

On the flip side some of the names on their are surprising to me and the stats hardly support the nomination in many instances (Neville Jetta for instance - must have one hell of an impact for his average 14 touches a game and 3 goals and 38 rebound 50s for the whole season).

Veteran Site Admin
    Instead they've put someone like Lever in the squad. He's a great young talent and he'll probably become one of the better defenders in the league. But he's missed five games this year, he's a 3rd tall type, playing alongside Talia, Hartigan and the like. They can't possibly believe that his contribution is anything like on a par to Grundy's role in the Swans' defence.

There are some other baffling selections too, like the non-selection of Oliver and Duncan, yet Treloar squeezes in.

Most years there are outcries over players who miss out, but when you look at who you'd replace in the squad it becomes a challenge to squeeze them in. This year I reckon you could easily take out about a quarter of the named squad and hardly notice they're missing.

Instead they've put someone like Lever in the squad. He's a great young talent and he'll probably become one of the better defenders in the league. But he's missed five games this year, he's a 3rd tall type, playing alongside Talia, Hartigan and the like. They can't possibly believe that his contribution is anything like on a par to Grundy's role in the Swans' defence.

There are some other baffling selections too, like the non-selection of Oliver and Duncan, yet Treloar squeezes in.

Most years there are outcries over players who miss out, but when you look at who you'd replace in the squad it becomes a challenge to squeeze them in. This year I reckon you could easily take out about a quarter of the named squad and hardly notice they're missing.
    Looking at the selection committee says enough for me:

The All Australian selection panel is Gillon McLachlan (chairman), Kevin Bartlett, Luke Darcy, Andrew Dillon, Danny Frawley, Glen Jakovich, Chris Johnson, Cameron Ling, Matthew Richardson and Warren Tredrea.

Best defence in the competition, yet not one defender makes the squad... Grundy is criminally underrated.

Too many players get nominated based on reputation.. Bontempelli had an extremely average year, no better than Parker and makes the squad

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    Looking at the selection committee says enough for me:

The All Australian selection panel is Gillon McLachlan (chairman), Kevin Bartlett, Luke Darcy, Andrew Dillon, Danny Frawley, Glen Jakovich, Chris Johnson, Cameron Ling, Matthew Richardson and Warren Tredrea.
    Not surprised with the anti swans bias after unfortunately having to listen to these 3 on the 7 network.

Veterans List
    Why does Darcy get so much oxygen in the big scheme of things..... an average player, shocking commentator and week in, week out shows a complete lack of common sense and knowledge in his appraisal of games and players.......the guy is a bone fide tool!! Also, Grundy's non selection is an absolute joke!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast