Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Congratulations Buddy Franklin - Coleman Medalist!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    In terms of pure profile raising I think it is hard to go past the double act of Barrassi and Plugger.

And for all his nuttiness we forget just how huge Warwick Capper was in the 80s and also how good he was too.
    There is no doubt that Capper and Lockett dragged people through the gate (perhaps in very different ways). Buddy has an aura about him that is endearing and when 'on' he is brilliant to watch. Winning Coleman medals helps a bit too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veterans List

Buddy was sublime on Saturday. A flag in the red and white would be just reward.

Veterans List
    After the standing ovation with his 10th goal I floated out of the game and home on a cloud of contentment. Buddy really is inspiring to watch when he's on song. Was that the best $10M the Swans ever spent? I'm guessing the return so far has been at least five-fold.

Also, did anyone else enjoy watching Jets light up the last game at Subiaco with his clever goal? I hope he's happy back home - and finally the Weagles fans have to recognise his talents.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by swanwolf View Post
    Buddy was sublime on Saturday.
    He was, wasn't he.

I think my favourite moment in his performance was the goal he set up for Newman. He'd have been fully aware he was on nine goals at that point, so when he was the first to beeline the ball that spilled out the back of the pack, it wouldn't have been surprising to see him try to burst through the players between him and the goals, or even try to launch one from 60m off one step. But no, he settles himself and instead spots Newman running into space.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think my favourite moment in his performance was the goal he set up for Newman. He'd have been fully aware he was on nine goals at that point, so when he was the first to beeline the ball that spilled out the back of the pack, it wouldn't have been surprising to see him try to burst through the players between him and the goals, or even try to launch one from 60m off one step. But no, he settles himself and instead spots Newman running into space.
    Yes! The thing was, I think the thought briefly crossed Newman's mind to hold the ball up and get it back to Buddy!

There are games where we have been too Buddy-centric but I'm glad this was one of them.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Yes! The thing was, I think the thought briefly crossed Newman's mind to hold the ball up and get it back to Buddy!

There are games where we have been too Buddy-centric but I'm glad this was one of them.
    Nearly everyone were stunned that were we offering Buddy a million per year. Now he is looking like a great bargain! Congrats Buddy. Just to add to his brilliance, there was some great goals on Saturday, particularly the last one. But how
    was the 50 meter pass to Heeney just before half time? Who in turn kicked it to Hayward in the square. Awesome kick that gave the defender no chance.

I ALWAYS wished young Buddy played for us!!
    Well done, Buds.
    My favourite was the one that got in from a tap on the back of his boot!!
    I seen it, but I didn't believe it!!
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Regular in the Side
    Buddy was sublime on Saturday. A flag in the red and white would be just reward.
    Omens at least favour a good Finals campaign. The previous six occasions a Swan won the leading goal kicker/Coleman medal the Team made the Grand Final four times, 1934, 1935, 1996 and 2014; and they were otherwise placed third on the ladder for the other two times, 1942 and 1998.

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    But how was the 50 meter pass to Heeney just before half time? Who in turn kicked it to Hayward in the square. Awesome kick that gave the defender no chance.
    Time and again, Franklin's team mates have praised this aspect of his game and let's face it, field kicking was never our forte. So I say to them; stop flattering, start imitating!

Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    Omens at least favour a good Finals campaign. The previous six occasions a Swan won the leading goal kicker/Coleman medal the Team made the Grand Final four times, 1934, 1935, 1996 and 2014; and they were otherwise placed third on the ladder for the other two times, 1942 and 1998.
    Perhaps but I suspect how this elimination final unfolds will tell us what we're really up against this time.

Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    What doesn't bode well is that everytime we make a grand final with a leading goal kicker/Coleman medalist ... we've been runner up

I can't wait until 2024 when the Swans celebrate 150 years of existence and hopefully name their best side of 150 years ... imagine a forwardline boasting Bob Pratt, Plugger Lockett, Buddy and Laurie Nash. Even Capper might have to admit there's no room in there for him!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast