Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will Hayward Round 23 Rising Star nominee

For the record, this nomination is long overdue. Should have been nominated about three months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They did the same thing with Callum Mills last year. Gerard Whately (every week towards the end of the season) said he could not understand how he had not been nominated yet. I can't remember which round he did get the nod but it was late in the season. Not saying Will is going to win like Callum, but good for him to get the nomination.

Veterans List
    Well deserved. For a kid who is still just 18 and had a limited pre-season, he has done remarkably to play the bulk of the season in a Swans side that is notoriously difficult to break into.

Has so many attributes and real footy smarts, will be a special player for us despite his spot being in jeopardy next week. If he misses out I reckon he none the less relish playing NEAFL.

Good on him.
    I hope we win it again this year
    Just to show the AFL that you can ban us from trading, but you can't ban us from turning what we get into superstars.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    3 goals 100% kicking efficiency.
    Avoiding the Will Wayward moniker from training already, I see! Jolly good.

He may be young and slight but he's got the right attitude. Remember that and he'll always have a home here.

Senior Player
    Will's season was a great taste of the future. It is worthy to note that Jake "The Package" Stinger kicked 24 goals from 16 games, this season, to Will's 22 goals from 17 games. A handy contribution, to say the least.
    C'mon Chels!

Quote Originally Posted by penga View Post
    Will's season was a great taste of the future. It is worthy to note that Jake "The Package" Stinger kicked 24 goals from 16 games, this season, to Will's 22 goals from 17 games. A handy contribution, to say the least.
    If his development goes as well as planned and as this year suggests it will, Hayward will become a regular 30+ goal kicker for us, as he is already an excellent mark, despite having a body not yet really ready for the rigours of AFL footy.

Was fantastic to see him rewarded for an excellent debut regular season. Yes he has been a bit up and down, and recently the signs are there that a long season has been tiring him - but assuming he is picked (and I think he will be), I expect he will give it a red hot go in finals, and you just never know what could happen.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Personally I think he'll turn out a better player than stringer. They call stringer the package but he ain't the full package. His defensive pressure in the forward half is not great. Like I've said previously I rated Hayward higher than Florent last year n was hoping the club took him with their first pick n was very disappointed when we didn't but it all worked out in the end.

I think this nom is very well deserved! He is a classy player and too good to overlook even if it wasn't his best week (although 3 goals is nothing to be sneezed at). He plays his role well and that includes applying a lot of defensive pressure that doesn't get shown in the stats. Then he takes his chances in front of goal - which is what you really want from a forward. Someone said two of his goals were gimmes because he didn't win his own ball. That is narrow thinking and the shots weren't easy. He's quick, he marks well, he works hard and competes for the ball. I'm happy we've got him, I'm happy he got the nom and I'm happy if we keep selecting him. Go Will!

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I figure Rising Star nominations are often based on a cumulative assessment of performance, particularly over the latter end of the season. Hayward deserves it on that metric. His drop off over the last couple of weeks is a little puzzling. Not being at the ground, it's hard to form a view on why he only picked up 3 possessions. I did wonder whether his confidence may be down after the poor game against Adelaide, although he took his shots well. If it is a confidence thing, perhaps this is well timed. Notice he had 13 pressure acts (a stat he routinely finishes in the top third of Swans), suggesting his defensive pressure remained high.
    13 pressure acts is not actually very high. If that's your main role, you should be hitting 20+ weekly.
    A blogger on onballer.com recently posted a stat he refers to as Around the Ground Work. It finds a medium between loose ball wins st contests and uncontested marks, giving an indication on work rate. The top 5 are guys like Duncan, TMitch, Yeo, Rocky etc.
    The bottom 5 are predominately talls - Vardy, Hipwood, Longer, N Brown, and in dead last.. Hayward..
    He's had a good start but has a long long way to go with work rate and use under pressure.

Hayward has The Package covered.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast