Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will Hayward Round 23 Rising Star nominee

Senior Player
    If he produced that effort every week - 3 possessions and 3 goals - he's earned his spot already. Across the duration of a season, that's Coleman Medal form.

I suspect also in Wil's favour his TOG statistics are lower than most of our regulars.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    If he produced that effort every week - 3 possessions and 3 goals - he's earned his spot already. Across the duration of a season, that's Coleman Medal form.

I suspect also in Wil's favour his TOG statistics are lower than most of our regulars.
    Of the Swans players who have played more than 1 game, Will averages the 5th lowest TOG.

Kurt Tippett 64.11% TOG (9 games)
    Dan Robinson 69.00% TOG (5)
    Sam Naismith 72.62% TOG (13)
    Gary Rohan 72.86% TOG (14)
    Will Hayward 74.71% TOG (17)
    Callum Sinclair 75.24% TOG (17)
    Oliver Florent 75.44% TOG (9)
    Nic Newman 76.39% TOG (18)
    George Hewett 76.59% TOG (22)
    Kieren Jack 77.24% TOG (17)

Maybe Will has that 'star' factor. He doesn't need too many touches to get results. His defence will get better once he puts on some weight and muscle.

I was going to say ONCE HE PUTS ON SOME SUBSTANCE, but thought better of it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    13 pressure acts is not actually very high. If that's your main role, you should be hitting 20+ weekly.
    A blogger on onballer.com recently posted a stat he refers to as Around the Ground Work. It finds a medium between loose ball wins st contests and uncontested marks, giving an indication on work rate. The top 5 are guys like Duncan, TMitch, Yeo, Rocky etc.
    The bottom 5 are predominately talls - Vardy, Hipwood, Longer, N Brown, and in dead last.. Hayward..
    He's had a good start but has a long long way to go with work rate and use under pressure.
    Sounds like a bit of an odd measure - uncontested marks are not necessarily a result of good work rate - think of how many uncontested marks defenders get in many side when the ball is just chipped side to side. Hayward is playing primarily as a small/medium forward, who is very rarely going to get opportunities for uncontested marks. Without seeing the analysis, it isn't an entirely surprising outcome.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Of the Swans players who have played more than 1 game, Will averages the 5th lowest TOG.

Kurt Tippett 64.11% TOG (9 games)
    Dan Robinson 69.00% TOG (5)
    Sam Naismith 72.62% TOG (13)
    Gary Rohan 72.86% TOG (14)
    Will Hayward 74.71% TOG (17)
    Callum Sinclair 75.24% TOG (17)
    Oliver Florent 75.44% TOG (9)
    Nic Newman 76.39% TOG (18)
    George Hewett 76.59% TOG (22)
    Kieren Jack 77.24% TOG (17)
    On this, and a slight aside, I was intrigued by the Crows' TOG against us. Their major ball winners were predominantly at the bottom of TOG, which makes me think why don't we do that, and keep our best players fresh(er)?
    C'mon Chels!

Quote Originally Posted by penga View Post
    On this, and a slight aside, I was intrigued by the Crows' TOG against us. Their major ball winners were predominantly at the bottom of TOG, which makes me think why don't we do that, and keep our best players fresh(er)?
    This is my main concern of playing two rucks. In the Adelaide game, Sinclair and Tippett had TOG percentages of 67% and 66% respectively. Sam Jacobs was 84%. This means that we chew up a lot of rest time by having one of our rucks off the ground. Throw in Hayward with 66% TOG, it means that there is significantly less rest time for our midfielders and runners. We were lucky in this game that we found a way to win at the end because our mids should've been cooked.

BTW, I realise that my last reply was off the OP topic so let me also say that it is great that Will has finally been recognised. He is a superstar in the making. I'm also glad that he's learning his craft off Buddy too.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    Maybe Will has that 'star' factor. He doesn't need too many touches to get results. His defence will get better once he puts on some weight and muscle.

I was going to say ONCE HE PUTS ON SOME SUBSTANCE, but thought better of it.
    Good thinking 99!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Draft Scout
    After a rising star nod, he is dropped :O
    C'mon there have to be better options (Cough...towers...cough)
    Staying ahead of the game...

Quote Originally Posted by Ajn View Post
    C'mon there have to be better options (Cough...towers...cough)
    It does take the shine off the nomination a bit (although, to be fair, it did just seem to be the week that fit - rather than the performance itself).

Veterans List
    Hayward not taking uncontested marks? I don't care, he has taken some blinder CONTESTED marks this year, absolute pearlers for an 18yo who weighs almost nothing!

In 2-3 years Hayward will be a star, has all the tools and that indefinable footy smarts.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Hayward not taking uncontested marks? I don't care, he has taken some blinder CONTESTED marks this year, absolute pearlers for an 18yo who weighs almost nothing!

In 2-3 years Hayward will be a star, has all the tools and that indefinable footy smarts.
    Yes, some astonishing marks.
    Did you get my Number again?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast