Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 37 to 48 of 56

Thread: RWO Game Day Thread - Finals Week 2 - September 2-3

  1. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by mrns View Post
    Nothing wrong with the older guys throwing in the towel and spending a full season playing the lower grade, but the moment you have any player making appearances in premier division games and div 5 games in the same season, you begin to question the whole teams reputation as a "division 5" football side

    e.g.

    Player statistics for Jordan Etto - SportsTG

    6 games of premier division this season (with 13 games last season). Currently playing D5 not D2???
    ha mrns your well informed opinion, supported by evidence, does not belong on this site. Surely you know that all opinions should be one eyed and based only on self-interest or current / historical emotion.

  2. #38
    Pushing for Selection
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wills View Post
    ha mrns your well informed opinion, supported by evidence, does not belong on this site. Surely you know that all opinions should be one eyed and based only on self-interest or current / historical emotion.
    Attachment 2057

  3. #39
    Regular in the Side
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Bateau Bay
    Posts
    508
    I agree that's pretty poor form. If he's not in Prem div why isn't he at least playing in 2nd division? I hope it's an isolated case. The by laws should prevent such shenanigans. I don't know the situation, but what's the team to do if a player says he doesn't want to or can't train and just wants a run in a lower div? Say no you can't? A 6 division drop is a bit ridiculous by any imagination. The by laws need an over haul.

  4. #40
    Aidan Braithwaite 15 div 2 games 1 div 5 semi
    Says it all
    Last edited by Ducboy; 5th September 2017 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Mistake

  5. #41
    Regular in the Side
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Bateau Bay
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducboy View Post
    Aidan Braithwaite 15 div 2 games 1 div 5 semi
    Says it all
    If he doesn't make the div 2 team he's allowed to play in the clubs next division down if it's on the same weekend. Nothing wrong there.

  6. #42
    Pushing for Selection
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Boy View Post
    If he doesn't make the div 2 team he's allowed to play in the clubs next division down if it's on the same weekend. Nothing wrong there.
    This is true the by-laws say mean this player if D2 are playing on the same weekend as D5 in finals can be dropped. If D2 was not playing he may apply for dispensation but would no longer return to play D2 in the finals regardless of the results of any division.

    Though you'd be bloody stiff to play 15 games during the season in your division to not be good enough come finals. Realistically you've probably played a handful of D5 games through the season in that players situation due to going up and down divisions. But to play 15 games and play your first D5 game in the finals?

  7. #43
    Regular in the Side
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Bateau Bay
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by mrns View Post
    This is true the by-laws say mean this player if D2 are playing on the same weekend as D5 in finals can be dropped. If D2 was not playing he may apply for dispensation but would no longer return to play D2 in the finals regardless of the results of any division.

    Though you'd be bloody stiff to play 15 games during the season in your division to not be good enough come finals. Realistically you've probably played a handful of D5 games through the season in that players situation due to going up and down divisions. But to play 15 games and play your first D5 game in the finals?
    I remember hearing there was an injury cloud with Branthwaite. Somehow that counted him out of Div2 but ok for Div5. Being a ruckman with limited versatility to play in other positions, it's not unrealistic to slip a grade. I think he'll be back in Div2 this week. Obviously he's only eligible for div5 whilst Div2 survive so it won't be on his radar.

  8. #44
    Without trying to reveal too much information, most of those mentioned as questionable inclusions in the lower grades have been playing with or have recovered from injuries that have limited their time on the park, Etto missed most of the back half of home and away season with injury, and as he had played a few lower grade games earlier in the season, was managed through back end of season in lower grade games, within the rules i would have thought.
    As Coastal boy stated, Hudson, Lemme, Eurell have work commitments which prevent them from training or have niggles etc which require rehab from game to game, and Div 5 is a standard which allows them to get through a game and also contribute to the less experienced newer players and help develop them as footballers, i would not think outside of the spirit of the game either.

  9. #45
    Warming the Bench
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Turramurra, NSW
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by Steamboat View Post
    Without trying to reveal too much information, most of those mentioned as questionable inclusions in the lower grades have been playing with or have recovered from injuries that have limited their time on the park, Etto missed most of the back half of home and away season with injury, and as he had played a few lower grade games earlier in the season, was managed through back end of season in lower grade games, within the rules i would have thought.
    As Coastal boy stated, Hudson, Lemme, Eurell have work commitments which prevent them from training or have niggles etc which require rehab from game to game, and Div 5 is a standard which allows them to get through a game and also contribute to the less experienced newer players and help develop them as footballers, i would not think outside of the spirit of the game either.


    For god sake people it would be much better to see wests win a flag let the boys play who cares .......

    In other news whose going to win North or Penno?

  10. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Footy Barista View Post
    For god sake people it would be much better to see wests win a flag let the boys play who cares .......

    In other news whose going to win North or Penno?
    Bombers of course - hopefully!!

  11. #47
    Really don't see the difference between SU playing their listed NEAFL players in Prems, compared to stacking by any other club in any division ... Wests are at least playing Wests "juniors" ... pretty sure UTS and SU are not ... but, so long as it's within the rules, good luck to all those who are still there!

  12. #48
    So according to you someone like Monty Krochmal who has played at SU forever shouldn't be allowed to play PD because he was named on a list of 47 players and played one NEAFL game. Fair enough. What about the players like Fyffe and Taylor from North Shore who are on the list? Ban them too?

    I think there's a bit more of a drop in class from PD to Div 5 than there is from NE to PD - to be honest I couldn't care less who wins a comp if Uni aren't in it, so good luck to Wests who are playing within the rules - but your analogy isn't the best.

    Quote Originally Posted by unconfuseme View Post
    Really don't see the difference between SU playing their listed NEAFL players in Prems, compared to stacking by any other club in any division ... Wests are at least playing Wests "juniors" ... pretty sure UTS and SU are not ... but, so long as it's within the rules, good luck to all those who are still there!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO