Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: RWO Game Day Thread - Finals Week 2 - September 2-3

The Student
    SU NEAFL Squad - I think the 47 list you have for NEAFL is too high. NEAFL AFL clubs play their listed and use top-up�s from other Sydney clubs.
    So my question is - with a squad list smaller and SU use top ups from their Prems or U/19s

No reason why you can't give (Our Taxes) $10,000 Scholarship + $$$$ a game to the Prem's player

It's coming down in 2018 anyway - if it was 40 this year we would still have the same PD team. The bulk of the players eligible have played no NEAFL at all, and a couple have played a game or two. Kane Murphy has played six. Of the 47 man squad about 20 are aligned with other PD clubs. The main change for us this year was being allowed to play blokes from interstate rather than having to send them away or have them play Div 1. We had the ludicrous scenario last year of having our Ops guy work for us during the week but then have to go and play at North Shore because he wanted to play PD. He came to us from Victoria - no links to other clubs - had a job with us, yet he had to leave. We don't want to recruit PD players from other clubs. It's never been about that. If they're a student at the university and they want to play for us, great, but that's it.

We don't pay PD players - not allowed to. There are players on SU scholarships at other clubs. It just stands to reason that most of them want to play at the Uni because they study there. Not sure how many taxpayer dollars go into a $1500 scholarship and gym membership!

Quote Originally Posted by Clubman View Post
    The Student
    SU NEAFL Squad - I think the 47 list you have for NEAFL is too high. NEAFL AFL clubs play their listed and use top-up�s from other Sydney clubs.
    So my question is - with a squad list smaller and SU use top ups from their Prems or U/19s

No reason why you can't give (Our Taxes) $10,000 Scholarship + $$$$ a game to the Prem's player
    Last edited by The Student; 7th September 2017 at 11:50 AM.

The Student
    I do understand that what you recruit that misses out on a NEAFL game has to play somewhere. But it is to unfair to other Sydney clubs the list number you have in NEAFL and what players can go back to play Prems.
    Looked at Swans NEAFL players on last weekend game they had 15 listed, 1 Academy & 7 Top ups.
    Maybe NEAFL needs to look at your LIST and $ Salary Cap to what has happened to the Sydney Comp this year.

Good luck next week - Can't see you not winning.

I get what you are trying to say but all of the NEAFL listed players that played last weekend bar Irving are either current or past students - some of them have never even played a NEAFL game so how could they be considered anything but PD players?

We had Luke Vella, Matt Vicic, Monty Krochmal etc playing PD last season as well. Our NE side has gotten stronger which pushes players down obviously but next year when the list is 40 and the fringe guys come off, what are people going to complain about then? The young players that have developed such as Nick Bertino, Harry Morrison and Will Stratford are one of the key reasons for our improvement, along with a major change to our training structure. I mean, our ruckman - who is finishing his medical degree - was playing Div 5 two years ago. These stories are being overlooked because we have 22 combined NEAFL games in our likely GF side. If Manteit plays for NS he will have 10 of his own. It's not fair on the playing and coaching group in my opinion but I understand the frustrations of the other clubs. If we rolled out Xavier Richards and Zac O'Brien next week I'd be inclined to agree with them.

With regard to the Swans, you're talking about full time footballers. They can play 15 listed and beat us most times. Brisbane did last week. That's just how it is. It's also their reserves side - to use your analogy we have 9 listed and 13 top ups. Of course they're not top ups but you get the point.

Either NS or Penno will be a very good opponent. It looked like Penno probably would've touched us up at Uni a few weeks back before the injury, so they're a worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Clubman View Post
    The Student
    I do understand that what you recruit that misses out on a NEAFL game has to play somewhere. But it is to unfair to other Sydney clubs the list number you have in NEAFL and what players can go back to play Prems.
    Looked at Swans NEAFL players on last weekend game they had 15 listed, 1 Academy & 7 Top ups.
    Maybe NEAFL needs to look at your LIST and $ Salary Cap to what has happened to the Sydney Comp this year.

Good luck next week - Can't see you not winning.
    Last edited by The Student; 7th September 2017 at 05:06 PM.

Regular in the Side
    The Swans dump their reserves in the NEAFL.
    SU dump their reserves in the SydneyAFL.
    Is there a better option? Probably not.
    But it disrespects each competition. The SydneyAFL should be a competition to find the best local Sydney footy team (outside of AFL) and all on an even keel.
    If clubs like SU and ECE and Campbelltown before them want to push on to a competition with a higher standard of footy that's great but take the whole club and go. The NEAFL should have own reserve grade.

Quote Originally Posted by bomber. View Post
    Bombers of course - hopefully!!
    What happened? Didn't see the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    I wouldn't have thought many people care or will remember how many of your teams made finals in 2017. I know I won't remember!! What People remember is who has won the important grades (PD, Div 1) in the past few years.. I don't remember St George winning either of those comps
    Suck @@@@. You have to remember that game now.

What a game. Most of the competition would have enjoyed seeing that result.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345