Thread: Retirements 2017

Senior Player

Retirements 2017

Feels like there are a lot of "significant" retirements this year. Of course I'd need to see the data to know if it's just a feeling

Any that you think are worth a special mention?

I'm going with Bob Murphy, not least because I tend to view opponents through the lens of "how they responded to the Goodes thing" and him running out in a 37 shirt was up there with the best. And as pointed out in this article, one of his last columns was on that topic. "Every time I've heard the boos of this mob, I've hung my head in despair."

For Western Bulldogs' Bob Murphy, the gig is up

Bob's definitely a terrific bloke, and the adulation is certainly justified.
    He will go out with all high octane fanfare, and he will flourish in the media.

Good on him. I even feel for him not playing in the Ganny.

It just makes me feel more shattered for Adam, an equally fine footballer and fine person who had to do it against higher obstacles, prejudice and adversity and gets none of the adulation, recognition and ongoing role in footy.

Here's to Bob and Adam.

I reckon Adam Goodes is the greatest champion footballer this century. He should hold his head very high. He matched his on-field heroics and longevity with equally great integrity, courage and compassion off the field. I am proud of the Swans contribution to that but also recognise how much the Swans have gained from our association with him. Not for nothing did he win two Brownlows and get named Australian of the Year.

neilfws, I too would feel most fondly towards Bob Murphy of this year's retirees. (Although, I note Sean Dempster is retiring too - is he the last of the Swans to have played in the '05 flag?) Certainly I don't feel the same level of respect and admiration for Riewoldt and Hodge although both are undoubtedly and justifiably considered champions of the game. Here's hoping that Bob Murphy resumes his column for The Age!