Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 147

Thread: Changes for elimination final v Essendon, Saturday 9 September

  1. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Not a good match up. Tipungwuti would be far too strong for him.

    Heard on SEN this morning that Hurley, Fantasia and Hooker are no certainties to play and didn't train much last week.
    Don't get your hopes up re: the above. Ducks and Drakes maybe?

  2. #26
    Senior Player ernie koala's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    northern beaches
    Posts
    3,171
    In a final....When pressure and intensity is ramped up

    Please ...Newman ahead of Towers....Surely.

    When the intensity is up, Towers goes missing. When the pressure is up, Towers stuffs up.

    As for which is the best ruck combo...Naismith/ Sinclair, Naismith/ Tippett, Sinclair Tippett....It's as clear as mud...Unfortunately there is no stand out combination.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

  3. #27
    Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Posts
    2,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Not a good match up. Tipungwuti would be far too strong for [Cunningham].
    Mills played well on him in the last few minutes of the round 14 win.

    The AFL website has the following to say: Each finalist's best 22
    SYDNEY

    B: Nick Smith, Heath Grundy, Lewis Melican
    HB: Jake Lloyd, Dane Rampe, Jarrad McVeigh
    C: Dan Hannebery, Josh Kennedy, Zak Jones
    HF: Kieren Jack, Sam Reid, Tom Papley
    F: Will Hayward, Lance Franklin, Gary Rohan
    Foll: Kurt Tippett, Luke Parker, Isaac Heeney
    INT: Callum Mills, Nic Newman, Callum Sinclair, George Hewett

    UNAVAILABLE: Nil

    The only real selection issues for the Swans will be the ruck combination, and Kurt Tippett and Callum Sinclair have done enough over the past month to keep Sam Naismith in the NEAFL. The pair gives the side more flexibility given they both have the ability to be dangerous tall forward options alongside Lance Franklin and Sam Reid. Nic Newman gets a spot ahead of Dean Towers in a tight call, with his foot skills and decision-making superior to his more experienced teammate. - Adam Curley

    This would imply the following team changes:
    In: Dan Hannebery, Tom Papley
    Out: Dean Towers, Harry Cunningham
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

  4. #28
    Senior Player Swansongster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    St Kilda West
    Posts
    1,225
    Towers, Hanners and Paps are certainties for mine. Naismith to miss. Not sure who makes way for R22's restees but Newman will also play IMHO.

    Bit worried about Bombers but wouldn't be coming to Sydney if I didn't think we'll win. Easily.

  5. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    Mills played well on him in the last few minutes of the round 14 win.

    The AFL website has the following to say: Each finalist's best 22
    SYDNEY

    B: Nick Smith, Heath Grundy, Lewis Melican
    HB: Jake Lloyd, Dane Rampe, Jarrad McVeigh
    C: Dan Hannebery, Josh Kennedy, Zak Jones
    HF: Kieren Jack, Sam Reid, Tom Papley
    F: Will Hayward, Lance Franklin, Gary Rohan
    Foll: Kurt Tippett, Luke Parker, Isaac Heeney
    INT: Callum Mills, Nic Newman, Callum Sinclair, George Hewett

    UNAVAILABLE: Nil

    The only real selection issues for the Swans will be the ruck combination, and Kurt Tippett and Callum Sinclair have done enough over the past month to keep Sam Naismith in the NEAFL. The pair gives the side more flexibility given they both have the ability to be dangerous tall forward options alongside Lance Franklin and Sam Reid. Nic Newman gets a spot ahead of Dean Towers in a tight call, with his foot skills and decision-making superior to his more experienced teammate. - Adam Curley

    This would imply the following team changes:
    In: Dan Hannebery, Tom Papley
    Out: Dean Towers, Harry Cunningham
    Naismith has to play - gets hand on ball more often and is more athletic than Tippett as well as stronger than Sinclair. Sam and Callum to be the two ruckmen. Tippett has broken down too many times.

  6. #30
    Nainsmith is our best ruckman. He's a lock I would say.

    I think tippet is probably the better forward at the SCG.

    Sorry sinkers. I think sinkers would be better at the MCG though.

  7. #31
    First, here is a link to Gazza talking about the 'mares he's had in the 2014 and 2016 GFs: AFL, Sydney forward Gary Rohan opens up on his disappointing grand final performances in 2014 and 2016 | Fox Sports. The positive is that he seems to have gone some way to identifying why he underperformed on those occasions and although he doesn't give great confidence that he's figured out the solution there is still time and being aware of the problem should help to overcome it.

    Second, if only one of Towers, Hayward and Harry C can play this week, I'm beginning to lean towards Towers because he has greater experience, a harder body and more versatility than Hayward and more talent and better form than Harry C. I am very reluctant to drop will Hayward because he is real quality but somebody has to make way and it makes sense for it to be the teenager.

    I still don't know which is the best ruck combo. Although Naismith played well in the reserves it also seemed that he was still managing an injury. I think it really comes down to how the three train this week and how their respective injuries are coming along. The combination this week will not necessarily be the same for any further finals, especially if Naismith is given another run in the reserves and does well he could come in for a later game. Indeed if Naismith isn't selected there remains a definite chance that one of the other two will need replacing due to injury at some stage also.

  8. #32
    Not sure why Gazza would admit to nerves on the big days .
    Every one has them, he's got to use them to his advantage..

  9. #33
    RWOs Black Sheep AnnieH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    At Goodesy's Place
    Posts
    10,819
    OUT: Sweet Caroline
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

  10. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Not sure why Gazza would admit to nerves on the big days .
    Every one has them, he's got to use them to his advantage..
    It's a little surprising that he has this issue considering that he has performed well in other big matches with large opposition crowds. Maybe a visit to a Sports Psychologist might help him. I suppose being open about it might help him get over this issue. I would hope that the club is onto this; not just for him, but for any other players who have lost confidence due to these significant defeats.

  11. #35
    RWOs Black Sheep AnnieH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    At Goodesy's Place
    Posts
    10,819
    Are we there yet?
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

  12. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Not sure why Gazza would admit to nerves on the big days .
    Every one has them, he's got to use them to his advantage..
    He should have a chat to Mitch Morton. He was notorious for pre match nerves. Part of the reason he gave it away.
    If he does the same as Mitch in the grand final, that will be enough.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO