Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for elimination final v Essendon, Saturday 9 September

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    He should have a chat to Mitch Morton. He was notorious for pre match nerves. Part of the reason he gave it away.
    If he does the same as Mitch in the grand final, that will be enough.
    If Gaz wasn't playing for us this year we wouldn't be playing next week. Couple of questions;
    1. If we make the GF would you pick Gaz in the 22?
    2. And what sort of numbers would he have to achieve in the GF for you to lay off him.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    2. And what sort of numbers would he have to achieve in the GF for you to lay off him.
    Probably fewer numbers than McVeigh would have needed for you to lay off him

Im getting butterflies already. I'm going to me a nervous wreck on Saturday. I'm so desperate to win the premiership this year given the AFL stole it off us last year. We deserve this.

IN: Naismith, Hanners and Paps.
    OUT: Tippett. I have feeling the outs will be Cunningham and Hayward.

If it was up to me I'd leave Haywood in and take Towers out of the team. To me Towers doesn't seem to do much and makes too many mistakes, especially when the pressure's on, which won't be good for the finals matches. However, clearly he's doing what the coaches are asking him to do. Newman has to remain in the team, he's to good.

On the ruck question, I'm in the Tippett camp. Naismith may be our best tap ruckman, but doesn't do enough around the ground to force out Tippett or Sinclair.

I think they will opt for Towers over Hayward, particularly if it is wet on Saturday, which it is forecast to be. I love Hayward, but I think this is the right decision.

I think Cunningham will have to make way for Papley. He was in very good form before his injury, and we could use his pace but he has run out of time to play himself back into the team at the expense of another player (Newman?), and for finals we have to go with who is playing well now.

I would drop one of the ruckmen, probably Sinclair, and also leave out Hayward. We only need one ruckman as Essendon only play one ruckman. Then we can leave in both Cunningham and Towers to help neutralise their outside speed, which troubled us the last time we played. This way we have their strengths covered and take away the only weapons they have to beat us.

If Gaz wasn't playing for us this year we wouldn't be playing next week. Couple of questions;
    1. If we make the GF would you pick Gaz in the 22?
    I'd pick him of his form warranted it, but with a strict warning that if he f's up again, it's over. We won't tolerate losing grand finals, and 3 in a row is a trend.

Depends where he plays but I'd say 12-15 possessions would be bare minimum. 20 possies and a couple of goals would make up some ground on what he's done previously.

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Probably fewer numbers than McVeigh would have needed for you to lay off him
    Huh?? Got me confused with someone else buddy. I've never had an issue with McVeigh

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post

I think they will opt for Towers over Hayward, particularly if it is wet on Saturday, which it is forecast to be.
    The forecast for Sydney is dry...All week through to Monday.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I'd pick him of his form warranted it, but with a strict warning that if he f's up again, it's over. We won't tolerate losing grand finals, and 3 in a row is a trend.

Depends where he plays but I'd say 12-15 possessions would be bare minimum. 20 possies and a couple of goals would make up some ground on what he's done previously.
    I think you have to judge Gaz on his impact not his possession count. I've got a feeling this year is his year.

Huh?? Got me confused with someone else buddy. I've never had an issue with McVeigh
    Oops sorry. [shuffles backwards head bowed with embarrassment]

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    On the ruck question, I'm in the Tippett camp. Naismith may be our best tap ruckman, but doesn't do enough around the ground to force out Tippett or Sinclair.

I think they will opt for Towers over Hayward, particularly if it is wet on Saturday, which it is forecast to be. I love Hayward, but I think this is the right decision.

I think Cunningham will have to make way for Papley. He was in very good form before his injury, and we could use his pace but he has run out of time to play himself back into the team at the expense of another player (Newman?), and for finals we have to go with who is playing well now.
    I think this is the right selection

We all like to kick Towers a bit. But defensively, he's a terrific player! Some of his second, third and forth efforts have been significantly underrated.
    Will Hayward has some ways to go & although a very efficient player, he's very similar to Jetta where he won't go and get his own ball and defensively can become quite a liability in games.

Tower's may have some issues with his decision making, but he's getting ALOT better.

Pressure and contested ball wins finals & I think Towers edges Hayward in that regard.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast