Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for elimination final v Essendon, Saturday 9 September

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I would drop one of the ruckmen, probably Sinclair, and also leave out Hayward. We only need one ruckman as Essendon only play one ruckman. Then we can leave in both Cunningham and Towers to help neutralise their outside speed, which troubled us the last time we played. This way we have their strengths covered and take away the only weapons they have to beat us.
    Completely agree with this!

Hanners and Paps in for Hayward and Towers for me. Sinkers stays and the fittest of Tippo and Sammy fills the ruck spot.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Not confident Tippett will last the game. He's the best player, he's just not reliable enough injury wise.

Bulldogs game at the start of the year captures his whole career. Started well. Clunked a few marks. Gets injured and then the tide turns.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardLong View Post
    We all like to kick Towers a bit. But defensively, he's a terrific player! Some of his second, third and forth efforts have been significantly underrated.
    Will Hayward has some ways to go & although a very efficient player, he's very similar to Jetta where he won't go and get his own ball and defensively can become quite a liability in games.

Tower's may have some issues with his decision making, but he's getting ALOT better.

Pressure and contested ball wins finals & I think Towers edges Hayward in that regard.
    Second, third and fourth efforts are great, but not when you're trying to clean up your own mess. He makes poor decisions when he has all the time in the world. When he's under pressure and plays on instinct, he's alright, but find him in space or with a free and he's bound to turn it over and then be forced to scrap like hell to get it back

Veterans List
    On AFL360 last night in the practice footage I saw Naismith in red. A sign?

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Don't get me wrong I think he has had a fine first season and will be a very good player for us over many years but I just don't think he is quite ready for senior AFL finals footy. At that level you need as many contributors as possible and he struggles to find a way into the game when he is having a bad day, which is to be expected at his age and experience of course...
    I think there is a bit to him drifting in and out of games but also he is in a forward line with Buddy and Reid. If he is dragging a man away from those two then he is playing his role, and "role players" are important in finals. He also tends to make the most of his opportunities too.
    I don't mind if he stays but I prefer what Cunningham (at his best) offers: speed, tackling (forget his previous seasons, he was good earlier this year) and a pretty efficient kick.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Are we there yet?
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    Not confident Tippett will last the game. He's the best player, he's just not reliable enough injury wise.

Bulldogs game at the start of the year captures his whole career. Started well. Clunked a few marks. Gets injured and then the tide turns.
    Ditto. Sad but true. Pattern too established and too risky.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    I think there is a bit to him drifting in and out of games but also he is in a forward line with Buddy and Reid. If he is dragging a man away from those two then he is playing his role, and "role players" are important in finals. He also tends to make the most of his opportunities too.
    I don't mind if he stays but I prefer what Cunningham (at his best) offers: speed, tackling (forget his previous seasons, he was good earlier this year) and a pretty efficient kick.

Unfortunately I thought Harry was very underdone last match and he wasn't even best in the reserves huge win (they would have won by far more if they finished the game off). They were playing a Suns side, even though stacked with experience, that was not anywhere near our potential. This is an indictment on the Suns recruiting as they played 16 listed players. Robbo was the best in the reserves. But what I don't get is why have Cunningham in when Paps gives us far more and will definitely return. I think Newman not playing against Adelaide was a mistake as he is a really very good tackler and faster than he seems. He seems to be able to run players down and puit huge tackles on. His delivery is generally good too and you need that in a final. Harry was not too good on this front last time out and in the reserves he sprayed a few too.

My Ins;

Naismith, Hannas & Paps

Out;

Cunningham, Hayward (simply because of his inexperience but either he or Towers), either Tippett or Sinclair (Tippett got only 8 HO, Sinclair 22. Tippett kicked 1 goal, Sinclair 0. Need more from both of these guys).

Nainsmith is a certain selection.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Nainsmith is a certain selection.
    Once again I agree with Ludwig earlier that we can get away with only one ruck. Combining that with Bazza... How about:

In: Naismith, Hanners, Paps
    Out: Cunningham, Tippo, Sinkers

You need Towers to pinch hit in the ruck, where he shows promise. It's a quicker side too.

We can get away with one ruck, but we won't.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast