Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for elimination final v Essendon, Saturday 9 September

Changes for elimination final v Essendon, Saturday 9 September

Never started a thread before, so hope I haven't stuffed it up.

Its certain Hanners and Paps will come in. Really hard to decide who makes way?

Does Naismith return? I hope so.

IN: Hanners, Paps, Naismith
    OUT: Cunningham, Hayward, Tippett

It's perfect champ ...
    The way Tippo talks about his ankle ( and they are hard to fix) ..... that it's been troublesome for a long time, he may not be risked.

Perfectly fine... just get the ball rolling. And we're away.

Ins are good. Outs are tougher. Cunningham yes. Others are harder to predict.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post

Agree with these changes although would be tempted to leave Hayward in because of X factor and efficiency. Over the year, Sinclair more worthy than Tippett- too much of a risk.

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Aliir in for Tippett the other Aliir for Haywood
    sprite

Veterans List
    Towers stays in because he is a role player. Just read the Paul Roos book Here It Is.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Towers stays in because he is a role player. Just read the Paul Roos book Here It Is.
    Dear God! Did he mention Towers? Longmire must have asked his old mate to legitimise his selection. He didn't actually mention what that role was did he?

Incidentally, who was he was actually referencing in the '05 team?

I don't really have a problem with Towers, but his kicking (or decision making) can be disastrous at times. If he plays I certainly hope he plays well and will be cheering him along during the game - no point slagging off a bloke who tries his best.

I would like to see Cunningham keep his spot also, but it is a tough decision after only one game back. I am not sure how Hayward will go either. His touches are usually gold, but he can disappear - and is still a young body, at the hard body end of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post

It's between Cunningham, Towers and Hayward for a single spot - tough call. I'd prefer Hayward. He does not need much of the ball to kick a few. Watching the replay of Buddy's 10, Hayward was an option on the lead in a bunch of them. I know he has been quiet, but I think he's ready to break out in a big game.

It's a toss-up between Sinclair and Tippett. Sinclair has probably earned the spot, but suspect they'll play Tippett on the basis of his greater goal-threat and hit in close.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    It's between Cunningham, Towers and Hayward for a single spot - tough call. I'd prefer Hayward. He does not need much of the ball to kick a few. Watching the replay of Buddy's 10, Hayward was an option on the lead in a bunch of them. I know he has been quiet, but I think he's ready to break out in a big game.

It's a toss-up between Sinclair and Tippett. Sinclair has probably earned the spot, but suspect they'll play Tippett on the basis of his greater goal-threat and hit in close.

Agree at his best Tippett is better than Sinclair but how many more times does he have to get injured during a game before we say enough. Pattern throughout his career at Crows and Swans. Too much of a risk.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post

My thoughts precisely. Although I keep wondering if there is a fourth player that might miss instead of either Towers or Hayward - but if there is, I haven't figured out who. If it does come down to Hayward v Towers I wouldn't be surprised if they go with Towers who is a little more prolific and, dare I say it, harder (bodied). But while I wish Towers well and enjoy his improved play I just don't trust him as much as I would Hayward. That kid is a natural!

After today's display, Aliir should not be recalled. (No apologies, Ludwig.) Whatever has gone awry for him, I hope it gets sorted over the off-season. He has a lot of upside. I did think it was interesting that they returned Aliir to playing defence in the 2s today after exposing him to various other roles in recent times. Could this have been to make it easier to tell if they are ready to recall him in a primarily defensive role?

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Towers stays in because he is a role player.
    I can imagine him sitting around a table on the weekend with five or six other people, as part of a party with two fighters, wizard, cleric and thief, searching dungeons looking for the Sword of McGuffin so they can beat up on the dragon and take home the treasure.

Ah, not that kind of role player...
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    My thoughts precisely. Although I keep wondering if there is a fourth player that might miss instead of either Towers or Hayward - but if there is, I haven't figured out who.
    Newman is the only other player whose spot could be doubt. That's not a comment on my preference or his ability. But I think that, in the coaches' minds, he's one of the last players picked. They'll weigh up what kind of forward line they want (ie is there a spot for Hayward if Papley returns), and then make a decision between the pace of Towers/Cunningham vs the smarts and penetrating kick of Newman (and their relative experience will probably factor in, too).

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast