Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Grand Final: Sydney Swans Reserves v Brisbane Lions Reserves @ SCG

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    The match is scheduled to start at 7.45 pm. Free entry to the SCG from 7.15 pm. I presume this means that we can sit wherever we like?
    It turns out no we can't sit anywhere. Everyone has to go to Members Reserve. From the Swans website today:

If attending the elimination final and staying to watch the match, please make your way to the SCG Members Reserve after the final siren of the senior�s match.

It is important that patrons do not exit the venue when moving into the Members Area. Please use one of the cross over points noted below:
    �Behind Bay 33 on the Brewongle Concourse
    �Near Gate G � following the Bill O�Reilly Concourse to the end, walking towards the Bradman Stand

For those only attending the NEAFL match, free access will be permitted via SCG Gate A on Driver Avenue from 7:15pm only.

Food and drink will be available to purchase in the MA Noble Stand Level 1 food court.

SCG dress regulations will not apply.

Veteran Site Admin
    I wonder why it's important not to leave the ground when moving to the Members' area, given that people can enter the ground from 7.15pm if they're just attending the NEAFL game. Are they going to quiz people entering after 7.15pm to find out whether they were at the EF?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    SCG dress regulations will not apply.
    All right! I can finally fulfill my long held ambition of wearing a singlet, torn jeans and ugg boots to an AFL match sitting in the Members!

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I wonder why it's important not to leave the ground when moving to the Members' area, given that people can enter the ground from 7.15pm if they're just attending the NEAFL game. Are they going to quiz people entering after 7.15pm to find out whether they were at the EF?
    I think it means if you leave the ground after the EF you won't be able to get back in until 7.15pm through Gate A. If you want to stay in the ground (for example, to eat) then follow the instructions re cross-over points.

I wonder what happens if there is extra time required for the AFL final.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    I wonder what happens if there is extra time required for the AFL final.
    RWOers have collective heart failure!

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I think it means if you leave the ground after the EF you won't be able to get back in until 7.15pm through Gate A. If you want to stay in the ground (for example, to eat) then follow the instructions re cross-over points.
    Which makes sense - they don't want people trying to get in Gate A while thousands of others are pouring out.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    All right! I can finally fulfill my long held ambition of wearing a singlet, torn jeans and ugg boots to an AFL match sitting in the Members!
    Just make sure that the singlet has a Collingwood logo somewhere on it. Maybe blackout a tooth or two?

2017 NEAFL GRAND FINAL
    Saturday, September 9, 2017

Sydney Swans v Brisbane Lions at the SCG, 7.45pm
    *This match will be streamed live on NEAFL TV (youtube.com/northeastafl)
    *Live Champion Data statistics available on the Official NEAFL App
    SYDNEY
    B: 46. Sam Murray 21. Jack Maibaum 2. Alex Johnson
    HB: 38. Colin O�Riordan 11. Jeremy Laidler 31. Harrison Marsh
    C: 45. Sam Fisher 33. Brandon Jack 13. Oliver Florent
    HF: 30. Tyrone Leonardis 19. Shaun Edwards 25. Ben Ronke
    F: 1. James Rose 47. Toby Pink 9. Will Hayward
    Foll: 8. Kurt Tippett 6. Jordan Foote 34. Jordan Dawson
    Inter: 36. Aliir Aliir 7. Harry Cunningham 32. Michael Talia 27. Daniel Robinson 55. Jarrod Osborne
    Emer: 48. Sam Wicks 53. Sam Barkley 52. Harry Carr
    In: 9. Will Hayward 8. Kurt Tippett
    Out: 35. Sam Naismith 48. Sam Wicks

BRISBANE

B: 42. Mitch Hinge 41. Matt Eagles 59. Jack Payne
    HB: 47. Reuben William 20. Cedric Cox 24. Liam Dawson
    C: 19. Josh Clayton 16. Jarrad Jansen 8. Rohan Bewick
    HF: 34. Jono Freeman 60. Connor Ballenden 37. Jacob Allison
    F: 40. Matthew Hammelmann 33. Michael Close 39. Corey Lyons
    Foll: 44. Archie Smith 1. Ben Keays 17. Claye Beams
    Inter: 46. Oscar McInerney 54. Luke O�Sullivan 53. Campbell Walker 48. Blake Grewar 11. Cian Hanley
    Emer: 52. Jack Clayton 55. Ben Sloan 50. Ryan Dadds
    In: 48. Blake Grewar 11. Cian Hanley 37. Jacob Allison 60. Connor Ballenden
    Out: 52. Jack Clayton 55. Ben Sloan 50. Ryan Dadds
    2017 NEAFL Grand Final Teams – NEAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    My feeling is that the coaches have been encouraging Aliir to take the game on and try to become a line breaker. This makes a lot of sense as we already have plenty of stodgy (and I use the term respectfully) defenders, with Maibaum being the next in that mould. We only really have Zak Jones and Buddy who take on tacklers with the aim of breaking tackles and moving the ball out of tight situations in that fashion, so it would be nice if we could develop another. Aliir is uncannily successful at breaking tackles, but like Jones and Franklin, does get caught at times. I said in another post that I thought he was instructed to play this way. Let's face it. The runner could have always come out and tell him to cut out all that play on at all cost attitude and play a more conservative game, but apparently that didn't happen.
    Reflecting on this, I think Aliir is being instructed to play like he is. I think it is for a reason and it relates to the senior side. My prediction is that he goes into the seniors this week to provide line breaking run off the half back! He is listed as first emergency.

Tippet is a handy "in".

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Reflecting on this, I think Aliir is being instructed to play like he is. I think it is for a reason and it relates to the senior side. My prediction is that he goes into the seniors this week to provide line breaking run off the half back! He is listed as first emergency.
    Are the emergencies not just listed in alphabetical order? I don't think you can read anything into who is most likely to come into the team, if needed. In any case, it would have to depend on who goes out. If something were to happen to one of our taller defenders, sure, Aliir would be the most likely, but he's not going to replace a Hanners or Parker.

In any case, there's no reason to think any of the named players are going to miss.

I do think that Aliir's NEAFL games reflect the way he's being coached to play. He commented last year, when he was talk of the AFL for a couple of months, that one of the things he'd had to learn was to be more aggressive in his rebound, rather than focussing entirely on stopping his opponent. His performances have been patchy in the NEAFL - some super, some less so - but I'm sure he's learned a lot and I see no reason why he can't force his way into the side next year.

As far as COR is concerned, if he wants to stick it out for another year my expectation is that the club will give him that opportunity. It's not uncommon for players with his background to have fantastic first seasons coming to grips with a new sport because their development is judged on such a low starting point. The second year is often a year of consolidation and may be judged more harshly because a player can't keep up the same rate of improvement. It's often not that they've regressed, just that their rate of improvement has slowed down. It's not just limited to players new to the sport. I think you can attribute the oft-observed "second year blues" of young players at senior AFL level to the fact that people expect them to keep improving at a dramatic rate and it is usually not possible. Also, players in their second year (whether at NEAFL level or senior AFL level) are being asked to do more, be more accountable for an opponent, or learn different roles within a team, rather than just be allowed to settle in and keep things simple.

In COR's case, injuries have also hampered him this year but I think he's shown enough to suggest he does have senior AFL attributes. He just needs to stick at it.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast