Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Grand Final: Sydney Swans Reserves v Brisbane Lions Reserves @ SCG

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    The players in the team have been very selfish all year. I can only think that the dominant focus for the team is supporting the seniors. The selfishness of the players and the poor team culture cost the grand final. One of the players told me after the game that the aggressive and unsupportive culture in the team made it hard to be creative and to lean on others. One of the trainers also said that Shaws comment to the players after the game was that their selfishness cost the grand final.
    I guess Barra that some play for themselves because they can't be dropped.

If Talia gets delisted we will have to take a serious look for the next big bodied defender to replace Reg. Reg may only have 1 more year in him.

It was a disappointing performance. Like others I noticed the great drop off from the seniors but that is not so surprising. However I also think there was less intensity compared to other games this year. Could this have been a by-product of vibe dying down both in the second half of the seniors (as the fireworks were over and the spark had gone out of the game), combined with the substantial delay until the Reserves began, and then the drop in temperatures and with those features the disappearance of >90% of the crowd from earlier? Just feel like, despite the occasion, maybe the 'vibe' flowed through to the game and the players too.

People criticising Hayward and Pink need to remember they have both been aged 18 years for most of this year. They are both wonderful prospects. Hayward will be back in Seniors next year. Although I don't expect the same of Pink I remain hopeful (not yet confident) that he can succeed at AFL level in the future. As I have said before, he has a great work ethic, good footy brain, powerful kick, fairly mobile for his size, can mark the ball. I really like him. Very pleased for him that the coaches recognised him in the bests. Hopefully that assures him of at least another year.

Painful to have lost yet another NEAFL granny.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    People criticising Hayward and Pink need to remember they have both been aged 18 years for most of this year. They are both wonderful prospects. Hayward will be back in Seniors next year. Although I don't expect the same of Pink I remain hopeful (not yet confident) that he can succeed at AFL level in the future. As I have said before, he has a great work ethic, good footy brain, powerful kick, fairly mobile for his size, can mark the ball. I really like him. Very pleased for him that the coaches recognised him in the bests. Hopefully that assures him of at least another year.
    I agree with your analysis on Toby Pink. I would also put Maibaum in this category. It's often hard to make a good assessment on KPPs until the 2nd year. But sometimes you can put a line through them, although I might have put a line through Aliir after his first year and he still came through. I'm glad that both have held up reasonably well through their first season. Also great that both have been quite resilient in playing in every game this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Laidler Foote Rose Marsh all under contract for next year
    If that is the case then it's a concern to me as these four are at best depth players who have been given plenty of chances and arguably are not up to top AFL level. Just my view and I would love for some of these to prove me wrong. Marsh is the only one of those that I rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    If that is the case then it's a concern to me as these four are at best depth players who have been given plenty of chances and arguably are not up to top AFL level. Just my view and I would love for some of these to prove me wrong. Marsh is the only one of those that I rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    L�ndler has played a number of solid defensive games for us. Marsh is worthy depth as you say.

Senior Player
    Almost by definition you are going to get guys pushing their own barrows in reserves teams. Let's face it, no one gets drafted to
    play NEAFL or VFL. But I think kicking 10.22 didn't help. I guess all the accurate shots on goal were used up in the earlier match.

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    The players in the team have been very selfish all year. I can only think that the dominant focus for the team is supporting the seniors. The selfishness of the players and the poor team culture cost the grand final. One of the players told me after the game that the aggressive and unsupportive culture in the team made it hard to be creative and to lean on others. One of the trainers also said that Shaws comment to the players after the game was that their selfishness cost the grand final.

Wonder why they didn't play this game in warm sunshine at like 11.30am

Then there could have been kick to kick after the EF.

The reasons many of us didn't stick around :
    Too long a wait.
    Getting cold.
    Wanted to go home and watch the other EF.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post

Too long a wait.
    Getting cold.
    For one, it allows all the senior emergencies to play in the Ressies GF.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post

Too long a wait.
    Getting cold.
    Would have been impossible to allow Brisbane NEAFL followers to come to the game, given that the senior game was a sell-out. Short of completely emptying the ground of everyone after the NEAFL game, how would you make sure people without tickets to the senior game didn't stay?

I would have preferred a Sunday game, even out at Blacktown, but they'd probably have got a lower crowd.

MATCH REPORT: Brisbane wins epic NEAFL Grand Final by three points over Sydney at the SCG – NEAFL

Young gun Keays caps off busy season with Andrew Ireland Medal in Grand Final triumph – NEAFL

WATCH: 2017 Grand Final Highlights – NEAFL

I meant to say, one thing that impressed me about Aliir in this game was how fast he was. It wasn't his best game but, despite his many explosive runs out of defence, I have never before noticed how fast he actually is. Really hope he can sort out his issues (whatever they are) over the off-season and pre-season. He has a lot of upside.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789