Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 107

Thread: Grand Final: Sydney Swans Reserves v Brisbane Lions Reserves @ SCG

  1. #1
    Clubman
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Sydney's eastside
    Posts
    1,294

    Grand Final: Sydney Swans Reserves v Brisbane Lions Reserves @ SCG

    I'm always impatient for the Reserves thread to start and so I'm going to get it going this time.

    First things first: the match has been confirmed as the curtain closer for the elimination final against Essendon: SCG double header locked in - sydneyswans.com.au. The match is scheduled to start at 7.45 pm. Free entry to the SCG from 7.15 pm. I presume this means that we can sit wherever we like? I might try moving to some of the premium seats that are normally out of my price range for the Reserves. Brewongle? O'Reilly?

    The second thing to observe is that these have been the top 2 teams all year. The Lions are the only team to have beaten us all year. And, like Hawthorn at AFL level, they have done it not once, but twice! However, sadly for them, the Lions are standing in the way of DESTINY! We have been cruelled by the footy gods the past 3 years and now it is OUR TIME!

    Changes to the team? Could there be a swap of ruckmen? Will Naismith get promoted at the expense of Tippo or Sinkers? And, if he is, will they play NEAFL? Papley and Hannebery return to the seniors. Harry C is likely to be relegated (he played NEAFL over the weekend just gone) but who else? My tip: Hayward will miss. Seniors loss is the Reserves gain. Decent consolation for him too if we win our inaugural NEAFL flag.

    Unfortunately for the Lions, Schache is going to miss the game: Home time for Schache as he misses NEAFL GF - AFL.com.au. Then again he is out of sorts and they won last weekend without him so perhaps it is for the best all round. Sad for Schache though that he is feeling bad enough not to be motivated to play in the Grand Final when the opportunity is there, even if it is NEAFL. On the other hand it didn't stop Buddy coming back as good as ever in 2016 after missing 2015 finals for similar reasons. The Lions had a good victory over Sydney Uni in their prelim, who were tougher opposition than the Suns: MATCH REPORT: Brisbane out-muscles Sydney University to book Grand Final spot – NEAFL. Hopefully that won't harm our chances any and we'll make the most of our home ground advantage and a decent crowd in support.

    Onwards to VIC-TORY!

  2. #2
    Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chucked into the ruck
    Posts
    14,053
    Some team stats to whet the appetite. The Lions look to have an advantage on us in the talls department, taking the most contested marks of any side in the NEAFL this season. Our league-best defence was made to look ordinary by their forwards, who took plenty of marks inside 50 during our last meeting

    StatSwansLions
    Kicks219.3225.5
    Handballs178.7150.6
    Disposals398.0376.1
    Marks95.3110.8
    Contested Marks9.711.7
    Uncontested Marks85.599.1
    Tackles62.261.1
    Goals19.217.7
    Behinds13.510.0
    GK Accuracy(%)58.7%64.1%
    Hitouts34.946.8
    Inside 50s62.754.7
    Rebound 50s31.132.4
    Clearances36.238.7
    Frees For10.713.7
    Frees Against17.014.7
    Last edited by ugg; 5th September 2017 at 02:35 AM.

  3. #3
    RWOs Black Sheep AnnieH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    At Goodesy's Place
    Posts
    10,447
    I'm excited.
    I'll be hanging around for it.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

  4. #4
    Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chucked into the ruck
    Posts
    14,053
    Random thoughts:

    1. Not that we need any more reasons to win the Essendon final, but I can't imagine how the NEAFL players (and coaches) would get themselves up for this game were the seniors to do the unthinkable.

    2. The other time we've played the NEAFL game as a curtain closer was last year against Sydney Uni after that dreadful Bulldogs loss when it was raining cats and dogs and I think the crowd would have been fewer than the usual curtain raiser number save for a group of hardcore Uni fans sitting behind the goals at the Paddington end.

    3. Fox listed as 1 week on the injury list last Tuesday, and possibly spotted in the background of that training photo. If he does play, we would most likely have 23 listed players, which I'm sure through all my years of NEAFL and AFL Canberra watching has never happened before.

  5. #5
    Clubman
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Sydney's eastside
    Posts
    1,294
    Not just the players will having trouble getting themselves up for the NEAFL granny if we lose beforehand. I don't know if I would have the stomach for it either. Have to wait and see.

    Our injury list is spectacularly good at the moment - if you're right about Fox that would leave only Cameron out, right? Ronke the Phantom has been back for ages; even AJ after 5 years give or take. Pretty spesh! I tell you, it's our time!

  6. #6
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Crowland :-(
    Posts
    2,974
    Last years GF was significant, Newman BOG and Melican played the best game of his career. Fast forward to this season and both now serious senior players. A lot for guys to play for other than the flag.

    A full team of listed players, wow.
    Last edited by 707; 4th September 2017 at 06:49 PM.

  7. #7
    Great for the Swanees! Sucks for the toppies!

  8. #8
    Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    733
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Last years GF was significant, Newman BOG and Melican played the best game of his career. Fast forward to this season and both now serious senior players. A lot for guys to play for other than the flag.

    A full team of listed players, wow.
    For the record. Watched the Preliminary final and Dawson looks all class. Has to be a shoe in next year. I think Rose is starting to show promise. Cannot believe how hard people on this forum are on Aliir Aliir. Two turnovers, one was not his fault and they condemn him? I think he tries to break the lines and makes something happen, that's why some times things go wrong. Quite happy to see him in the seniors very soon.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    For the record. Watched the Preliminary final and Dawson looks all class. Has to be a shoe in next year. I think Rose is starting to show promise. Cannot believe how hard people on this forum are on Aliir Aliir. Two turnovers, one was not his fault and they condemn him? I think he tries to break the lines and makes something happen, that's why some times things go wrong. Quite happy to see him in the seniors very soon.
    He does seem to get the ball and then try to break the lines. He often gets caught when he should have dished off the ball. It is almost like he struggles with peripheral vision and knowing where his players are. This issue sometimes happens with players who did not grow up playing the game. They struggle to have good spatial awareness.

  10. #10
    Veterans List Ludwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chiang Rai
    Posts
    5,399
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    He does seem to get the ball and then try to break the lines. He often gets caught when he should have dished off the ball. It is almost like he struggles with peripheral vision and knowing where his players are. This issue sometimes happens with players who did not grow up playing the game. They struggle to have good spatial awareness.
    My feeling is that the coaches have been encouraging Aliir to take the game on and try to become a line breaker. This makes a lot of sense as we already have plenty of stodgy (and I use the term respectfully) defenders, with Maibaum being the next in that mould. We only really have Zak Jones and Buddy who take on tacklers with the aim of breaking tackles and moving the ball out of tight situations in that fashion, so it would be nice if we could develop another. Aliir is uncannily successful at breaking tackles, but like Jones and Franklin, does get caught at times. I said in another post that I thought he was instructed to play this way. Let's face it. The runner could have always come out and tell him to cut out all that play on at all cost attitude and play a more conservative game, but apparently that didn't happen.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    My feeling is that the coaches have been encouraging Aliir to take the game on and try to become a line breaker. This makes a lot of sense as we already have plenty of stodgy (and I use the term respectfully) defenders, with Maibaum being the next in that mould. We only really have Zak Jones and Buddy who take on tacklers with the aim of breaking tackles and moving the ball out of tight situations in that fashion, so it would be nice if we could develop another. Aliir is uncannily successful at breaking tackles, but like Jones and Franklin, does get caught at times. I said in another post that I thought he was instructed to play this way. Let's face it. The runner could have always come out and tell him to cut out all that play on at all cost attitude and play a more conservative game, but apparently that didn't happen.
    That makes sense Ludwig. I agree they must be supporting that approach. I am just not sure that Aliir has the agility or awareness to pull it of at the moment. When he played his best football with the seniors he was breaking lines, but it is all feeling a bit one dimensional now.

  12. #12
    Clubman
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Sydney's eastside
    Posts
    1,294
    What is frustrating is that Aliir was successfully breaking the tackles and then turning the ball over with poor disposal - which is not his hallmark, he has been a safe disposer of the ball in the past.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO