Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RWO Game Day Thread - Finals Week 3 & Divisional Grand Finals - September 9-10

Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    Does that suggest that the proposed structure changes are right?
    I think so. Seemingly more than ever, but prems clubs have been dominating all grades.

Camden has been doing alright, but sides in 1/3/5 will probably be found out next year in a firsts/reserves/19s structure when playing the likes of north shore/penno/st george/syd uni.

Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    Does that suggest that the proposed structure changes are right?

Any word on changes to the Women's comp? There are 3 very distinct classes of teams.
    1. Some very serious and impressive elite sides (Top 5-6 in Prems)
    2. Some improving and growing sides (bottom couple of Prems and the top 3-4 in Div 1)
    3. Social but rapidly growing sides (the rest)

Would be a shame to not see this managed properly. Sending any Div 1 side to Prems is not going to go well. And keeping these newer sides in Div 1 against established sides like Manly, Magic and Saints is not going to help new entrants with cricket scores being kicked.

Surely it's 3 grades next year?

The most important thing for 2018 is the Premier Division points cap. This has to be introduced immediately and set no higher than 45 (based on the current proposal), with the only concessions being years of service and incentives for having/developing Youth Girls, otherwise the competition will suffer, which will have long term negative affects on the AFLW side.

There are soft proposals around stratifying the cap based on ladder position, which may be worth considering in future years, but reality is most players are going to choose as side based on three things, 1) Financial incentives... (light years)... 2) Premiership credentials and 3) Quality of the football programme.
    The competition already is imbalanced and there are no incentives for developing juniors, only to see them whisked away to the top side that can offer incentives. Manly with a local junior that's currently playing for USyd is a potential Premier Division side. North Shore with local juniors currently on scholarships to USyd is a potential Premier Division Side. USyd, that don't have juniors at all, drift down the ladder a spot or two without these three players.

I think when you consider some of the ramifications of the points cap, (i.e. high quality players being left out of the PD side some weeks due to the cap not form or ability) the Premier Division sides with reserves have to be in the same division. I think it's fair that it's the lowest division and the sides that are in this one to make up the numbers should probably be given some opportunity to preference being in the stand alone division or the division that contains all the PD reserve grade sides.

4 PD sides currently have reserves and I reckon UTS will follow in 2018.

The other thing in the mid-term is the need to bridge the gap between U18s YGs and senior women's. U18s YGs should be age increased to U19.5s and become the domain of the senior clubs. Alternatively starting with an U25s comp that is age reduced over a few years to U19.5s may work and allow U18s YGs to continue as is.

Not sure what clubs are paying players at the Women's level but there might be some. A big attraction will be the ability to play alongside GWS players like Nic Barr, Amanda Farrugia or Maddy Collier so SU, UNSW and Mac Uni have a leg up there already. The other aspect, and I don't know if there is a diplomatic way of saying this, is that the inner city clubs will always have a bigger player base because of the demographics of the area. Have a points cap all you like but that's not going to encourage people living in the inner west or wherever to go and play for Penrith.

What would the percentage of Women's PD players that have played at a junior level? It would have to be infinitesimally small surely. Sure that will change in the coming years as AFLW grows but for now it's just women who have played other sports and start the game as an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by CKunde View Post
    The most important thing for 2018 is the Premier Division points cap. This has to be introduced immediately and set no higher than 45 (based on the current proposal), with the only concessions being years of service and incentives for having/developing Youth Girls, otherwise the competition will suffer, which will have long term negative affects on the AFLW side.

There are soft proposals around stratifying the cap based on ladder position, which may be worth considering in future years, but reality is most players are going to choose as side based on three things, 1) Financial incentives... (light years)... 2) Premiership credentials and 3) Quality of the football programme.
    The competition already is imbalanced and there are no incentives for developing juniors, only to see them whisked away to the top side that can offer incentives. Manly with a local junior that's currently playing for USyd is a potential Premier Division side. North Shore with local juniors currently on scholarships to USyd is a potential Premier Division Side. USyd, that don't have juniors at all, drift down the ladder a spot or two without these three players.

I think when you consider some of the ramifications of the points cap, (i.e. high quality players being left out of the PD side some weeks due to the cap not form or ability) the Premier Division sides with reserves have to be in the same division. I think it's fair that it's the lowest division and the sides that are in this one to make up the numbers should probably be given some opportunity to preference being in the stand alone division or the division that contains all the PD reserve grade sides.

4 PD sides currently have reserves and I reckon UTS will follow in 2018.

The other thing in the mid-term is the need to bridge the gap between U18s YGs and senior women's. U18s YGs should be age increased to U19.5s and become the domain of the senior clubs. Alternatively starting with an U25s comp that is age reduced over a few years to U19.5s may work and allow U18s YGs to continue as is.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    I know. It's pretty bad but I guess you just play by the rules.
    Pot - Kettle - Black. You are the first to jump on and get stuck into UTS but when the balls in your court you state it's all ok because it's under the rules. Well UTS play under the rules as well. Personally I don't mind if Dyl Addison wants to play Div 1. Good on him for giving back

Yeh, and others got stuck into us for it... and i can understand why. Or should I make sure my club doesnt play by the rules and go by some moral code of red and white online?

A few of the guys dyl addo grew up playing with and his best mates are in that div 1 side. Not justifying the rule but its different picking him as a local junior whos gone off and played at the highest level and now wants to help his club and mates win a flag compared to guys like shippers and browny who we could also select in div 1.

How does the bloke who has played all season and gotten dropped for him feel about it?

Anyway should be a good game, irrespective of who is selected!

Yeh, and others got stuck into us for it... and i can understand why. Or should I make sure my club doesnt play by the rules and go by some moral code of red and white online?

A few of the guys dyl addo grew up playing with and his best mates are in that div 1 side. Not justifying the rule but its different picking him as a local junior whos gone off and played at the highest level and now wants to help his club and mates win a flag compared to guys like shippers and browny who we could also select in div 1.

Hopefully he takes his frustrations out on UTS!

Who from the bombers will confirm that you are in talks with Trent Stubbs? And Camden are in talks with Baker and Drinkwater?

Quote Originally Posted by The Student View Post
    A big attraction will be the ability to play alongside GWS players like Nic Barr, Amanda Farrugia or Maddy Collier so SU, UNSW and Mac Uni have a leg up there already. The other aspect, and I don't know if there is a diplomatic way of saying this, is that the inner city clubs will always have a bigger player base because of the demographics of the area. Have a points cap all you like but that's not going to encourage people living in the inner west or wherever to go and play for Penrith.

What would the percentage of Women's PD players that have played at a junior level? It would have to be infinitesimally small surely. Sure that will change in the coming years as AFLW grows but for now it's just women who have played other sports and start the game as an adult.
    Most of the better players have played juniors. At Sydney uni currently there's Nic Barr, Steph Walker, Erin McKinnon, Pippy Clegg, Isabella Rudolph. I don't know all the sides well enough, but I'm willing to go out on a limb and say average PD sides would have 5/22 of their best that were juniors. Minority, yes. Unremarkable, hardly.

Basically every PD side has an AFLW player - UTS the only exception. We have Renee Tomkins, the only NSW/ACT player selected in the State of Origin. Playing with AFLW players is likely a draw, I agree, but every team offers this.

Hence the priorities likely being the 3 I named above.

Points system for Sydney Women's PD will be the best thing for women's football AFL NSW/ACT could do.

Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being trialled for men's too. Introducing it would certainly remove a lot of the complaints levelled at USyd mens around the NEAFL players (whether those complaints are legitimate or not).

Warming the Bench
    Hopefully he takes his frustrations out on UTS!

Who from the bombers will confirm that you are in talks with Trent Stubbs? And Camden are in talks with Baker and Drinkwater?
    Haven't north shore learnt from this year buying players doesn't have a great return rate ?

Ha Ha - you now have started on ECE again. You sould worry about your own job Mini Bus
    Earl Shaw - To Coach Parramatta Dyl Addison - To Coach St George Prems
    Have not heard about you as yet. Maybe clubs can't wait 5+ years

Quote Originally Posted by Footy Barista View Post
    Haven't north shore learnt from this year buying players doesn't have a great return rate ?
    No-one bought in at North Shore champ. At least 3 players gave up cash to play at Gore Hill for nothing. I don't know that the club is opposed to the idea, just didn't need to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by bomber. View Post
    No-one bought in at North Shore champ. At least 3 players gave up cash to play at Gore Hill for nothing. I don't know that the club is opposed to the idea, just didn't need to do it.
    Amazing what a PowerPoint presentation can do...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast