Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: RWO Game Day Thread - Finals Week 3 & Divisional Grand Finals - September 9-10

Warming the Bench
    [QUOTE=bomber.;739686]No-one bought in at North Shore champ. At least 3 players gave up cash to play at Gore Hill for nothing. I don't know that the club is opposed to the idea, just didn't need to do it

Right okay haha

Dyl Addison has returned to his footballing roots, and should be acknowledged as a role model for every Sydney player who achieves higher honors. He is playing for the love of the game and the club, and the opportunity to play with his brother, and the Sydney AFL is better for it - to his credit, for the whole season, he has worked around his employment commitments and played for whom ever he has been asked to play - GWS NEAFL, and St George in whatever grade he could play (again around work commitments), and provided 100% commitment to every coach he has served. Like every St George player, he pays his own registration fees, or doesn't get a game. He has earned the right to play in whatever game he has the opportunity to play in. Once again, he IS a proud Dragons junior ... that's on more junior than the opposition will field come GF day in the Div 1, and one more junior than UTS will field in any game ... just sayin'

Our Division One side actually has a number of players from our designated junior clubs who have since played in our 19s, but don't let facts get in the way of a good story I suppose. Spare us the fluff about the romanticism of Addison giving back to his junior club and working around employment commitments - if you think it is a noble gesture of him to parachute in for a GF when he clearly hasn't qualified other than via a loophole then good luck to you. That said, as dubious as it is, it's in the rules so fair play. Just tell it how it is, you're trying to win a flag by any means possible. It's just funny that Saints, pure as the driven snow, would be so cynical in their approach. I guess they're no better than anyone else - next you'll be telling me Santa Claus isn't real!

Quote Originally Posted by unconfuseme View Post
    Dyl Addison has returned to his footballing roots, and should be acknowledged as a role model for every Sydney player who achieves higher honors. He is playing for the love of the game and the club, and the opportunity to play with his brother, and the Sydney AFL is better for it - to his credit, for the whole season, he has worked around his employment commitments and played for whom ever he has been asked to play - GWS NEAFL, and St George in whatever grade he could play (again around work commitments), and provided 100% commitment to every coach he has served. Like every St George player, he pays his own registration fees, or doesn't get a game. He has earned the right to play in whatever game he has the opportunity to play in. Once again, he IS a proud Dragons junior ... that's on more junior than the opposition will field come GF day in the Div 1, and one more junior than UTS will field in any game ... just sayin'
    Last edited by The Student; 13th September 2017 at 08:55 AM.

Ironic the fuss around one player, who has played Div 4, Div 1 and Prems for his original junior club during the season, and is fully qualified to play in the games he is chosen for ... hmmm.

So how many will SU be playing from their NEAFL List in a Premier division GF this week? ... and how many of them are juniors?

Deflect all you like, people will see what SU have done for what it is and make up their own minds about it ... certainly no "romanticism" about it, hypocrisy does come to mind though ... and we wont even touch on the flow on effect that this has to every lower grade, when the NEAFL listed players push "players who have played Prems all season" out of the side ... but fair play if that is what the AFL is prepared to allow.

Good Luck Penno, should be a cracking game, lets hope the best team wins!

He has played one Div 1 game. Answer me this - if he wasn't such a martyr and had to fulfil employment commitments (imagine that, a job interfering with footy, you should build a statue of him) would he have played those 8 NEAFL games in PD or Div 1? I think we know the answer to that. He has qualified via a loophole which will undoubtedly be closed in 2018. This is not even in dispute.

One player will come back from the NEAFL side from the Lions game, and guess what - he will replace another NE listed player who isn't eligible. What makes someone like Luke Vella a NEAFL player if he hasn't played a game? Because he trains with them? I assume you know that players from all clubs are able to trial in the pre-season and can go on the list, although maybe you don't because Saints have never sent anyone. The NE listed players on Saturday will have a total of about 20 NE games between them this year which is slightly more than double what the Saints Div 1 side will have. Cue outrage!

If you want to talk about lower grades, what effect do you reckon putting half a dozen of your obviously very good 19s into a Div 1 GF side will do when the players who are omitted go down to Div 4? Not much can be done about the three division drop given that your club only has three sides but must be nice for the guys who are new to the game to be turfed out of Div 4 for the GF. Reckon they'll be back next year?

Your juniors argument is a good one - I could ask how many Saints players study at your football club which makes about as much sense. Your club oversees a huge suburban area and we are based in the CBD, in an educational institution where people start at 17 or 18. We have a few affiliated junior clubs that cover a radius of about 3km from campus. The demographics of the inner city are significantly different to those of the suburbs, and so on. You are comparing apples and oranges but I suspect you know this. Or maybe you just are that stupid.

Truth be told nobody at SU cares what people like you think. You're uninformed and so ridiculously biased that your opinion is worthless. I mean really, you think that Dylan Addison - with one Div 1 game to his name - has legitimately qualified for a GF. Your credibility (or what little you had) just went out the window. Hope you stick around to enjoy the show on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by unconfuseme View Post
    Ironic the fuss around one player, who has played Div 4, Div 1 and Prems for his original junior club during the season, and is fully qualified to play in the games he is chosen for ... hmmm.

So how many will SU be playing from their NEAFL List in a Premier division GF this week? ... and how many of them are juniors?

Deflect all you like, people will see what SU have done for what it is and make up their own minds about it ... certainly no "romanticism" about it, hypocrisy does come to mind though ... and we wont even touch on the flow on effect that this has to every lower grade, when the NEAFL listed players push "players who have played Prems all season" out of the side ... but fair play if that is what the AFL is prepared to allow.

Good Luck Penno, should be a cracking game, lets hope the best team wins!

Only half a dozen 19s? Last i heard it was close to the full dozen.

You'll have some decisions to make at the selection table tonight then won't you!

Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    Only half a dozen 19s? Last i heard it was close to the full dozen.

D Addison - played 1 game Div 1. Prems & GWS had byes What,s the rule dropping back to Div1 after playing NEAFL the week before.

No drama with that.

I notice that the Saints Div 1 side have 20 NEAFL games between them. That's as many as our Prem Div side that we have been copping grief over. Interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Clubman View Post
    D Addison - played 1 game Div 1. Prems & GWS had byes What,s the rule dropping back to Div1 after playing NEAFL the week before.

Yeh, no one at all has mentioned us playing guys with neafl experience in div 1.

"The Student doth protest too much, methinks"

TEN (10 NEAFL Listed Players) was the answer we were after ... a lot of North Shore juniors too (?).

We can't blame them for yearning for an education, can we ....

Great day of AFL at BIS today, and congratulations to the "powerhouse" clubs, North Shore (Div 2), St George (Div 1), and Pennant Hills (Premier Division) who thrilled their faithful throng of supporters, by collecting Premiership Flags. Bad luck for Sydney Uni, who add nothing to the trophy cabinet this year, and Wests who were also well supported today.

Should be another cracking day tomorrow, with Wests getting a chance to atone for today's disappointment against UTS in Div 5.

The high flying St George Dragons will have huge support again, as they look to prise the Div 4 Flag from defending champs, UTS's grasp, and add an unprecedented third (3rd) Flag for the club in season 2017.

Magic and W'gong Saints will be duking it out in Womens Div 1.

A great year for Sydney Club AFL, regardless of how those clashes are decided, and at least a chance for some compensatory silverware for a University team!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234