Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Day 2nd ELIMINATION FINAL Sydney v Essendon

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    Rohan did alright - stats are deceiving - you can rack up 30 and 20 of them could be rubbish (ie One TMitchell springs to mind) Rohan applies pressure - and when he gets the ball he's spot on. Never under estimate the role he plays. He's certainly got us over the line a couple of times this year. Towers (who I've been known to lose my @@@@ over) finally "gets it" and Sinclair he's improved out of sight. We need to keep a lid on things and not get caught up in the hype - let's see what the next week brings.
    Yes, I think the idea that circulates that 'Rohan drifts in and out of games' is very unfair. He plays a structure, sagging off to the fat side and pulling a man with him, opening up space. His closing speed means that he can, when necessary, quickly close down space and pressure ball carriers. Ditto for Towers, and Papley too, who spends a lot of time well off the ball in a pocket but is able to quickly cover ground to get to the drop or to a contest.

And Papley looked stuffed in the third quarter: he is so hard when he goes that he just gets battered, and he was standing blokes twice his size. We started calling him Tyrion Lannister as he hobbled, grimacing, from contest to contest, looking like every particle of his body was screaming. Had an ice pack as big as his head on his knee after the game. He's like a less angry Ben McGlynn.

I have to admit that I got my pre-game analysis all wrong. The 2 players I called nervous nellies stepped up big time early when the game was hot.

We actually did play only one ruckman with Sinclair playing as a full time forward and playing the game of his life. I didn't think he had it in him. Congratulations Sinkers. Keep up the good work.

Our coaching staff got things spot on and the players executed the game play to perfection. Towers also played a career best game, given the pressure of a final and his previous inability to perform in similar situations. His ruck work was superb.

If Towers and Sinclair can consistently play with that level of confidence my evaluation of our of team strength jumps to another level.

A special mention to Lloyd, Jones and Hewett, who all had excellent games. If you took any of them with a top 10 draft pick you'd be thinking you got your money's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    Yes, I think the idea that circulates that 'Rohan drifts in and out of games' is very unfair. He plays a structure, sagging off to the fat side and pulling a man with him, opening up space. His closing speed means that he can, when necessary, quickly close down space and pressure ball carriers. Ditto for Towers, and Papley too, who spends a lot of time well off the ball in a pocket but is able to quickly cover ground to get to the drop or to a contest.
    I agree he applied good pressure. 5 tackles I think. But pressure should be a given for a finals player.
    He just need to get more of the ball.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Not faultless. I think you have forgotten that dreadful pass to Newman that was picked off.
    Wasn't that Heeney

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Wasn't that Heeney
    Pretty sure it was Heeney and we dodged a bullet when they didn't capitalise. He can be a bit careless at times.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Wasn't that Heeney
    Yes, if referring to that one-step kick intercepted in goal square early in match.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Callum Mills: was that a faultless game by him or what.

Except for one kick meant for Newman that didn't get close. The rest of his game was purrfect

Quote Originally Posted by Billericay View Post
    Didn't see that but did see Paps' flick, turn and handball to Towering in the 4th that was off the charts.
    Yes, and the goal against Adelaide a couple of weeks ago, that's been dubbed "shoulder of god", was damn impressive too. The YouTube footage showed it possibly had a bit more luck than I originally thought, but hey, he didn't hang around to contemplate his luck.

Except for one kick meant for Newman that didn't get close. The rest of his game was purrfect
    Bugger got it wrong.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    And Papley looked stuffed in the third quarter: he is so hard when he goes that he just gets battered, and he was standing blokes twice his size. We started calling him Tyrion Lannister as he hobbled, grimacing, from contest to contest, looking like every particle of his body was screaming. Had an ice pack as big as his head on his knee after the game. He's like a less angry Ben McGlynn.
    On ABC radio they said Papley limped off with about 5 minutes left. Said it was the same knee he injured previously. lets hope he comes up. Thought both he and Hanners were short of a run in the first half, but they both stepped up in the last quarter, when Parker and Kennedy moved forward.

Veterans List
    Bugger got it wrong.
    Heeney; saw it this morning. It was a poorly weighted kick to Newman who was running to space, but Heeney kicked when Newman had his back turned.

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast