Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Day 2nd ELIMINATION FINAL Sydney v Essendon

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I have to admit that I got my pre-game analysis all wrong. The 2 players I called nervous nellies stepped up big time early when the game was hot.

We actually did play only one ruckman with Sinclair playing as a full time forward and playing the game of his life. I didn't think he had it in him. Congratulations Sinkers. Keep up the good work.

Our coaching staff got things spot on and the players executed the game play to perfection. Towers also played a career best game, given the pressure of a final and his previous inability to perform in similar situations. His ruck work was superb.

If Towers and Sinclair can consistently play with that level of confidence my evaluation of our of team strength jumps to another level.

A special mention to Lloyd, Jones and Hewett, who all had excellent games. If you took any of them with a top 10 draft pick you'd be thinking you got your money's worth.
    Well, I wouldn't quite say that his ruck work was superb, but he's now making more of a contest and even winning a few taps. And other aspects of having him as a ruckman are good. If the opposition get the ball, he's very quick to apply pressure. Also, if he gets the ball in congestion, his decision making is actually better than when he's in space. I assume it's because he's just reacting, without any intrusive thoughts getting in the way of his performance.
    In regards to him and Sinclair, one of the commentators was talking about how our bottom six is definitely stronger than last year. Which is a good point: to the extent that I'm not even sure that we have a bottom six. If I was asked to name our bottom six before yesterday's game, I would have said Cunningham, Towers and Sinclair, and then I would have struggled to include another three. And two of those ended up as some of the best players on the ground and the other one was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Did anyone else see that handball by Papley to Buddy's advantage in the second quarter? Maybe it was the camera angle but it looked like it bent around the Essendon player.
    Yes, having just seen it on replay, it's an excellent example of creative split second decision making. When he was about to dish out the handball, the Essendon player was facing him and Buddy was behind and to the right of the Essendon player. The two most obvious options were; to try take the player on and probably get caught, or to handball to the right of the Essendon player and directly to Buddy. In which case, Buddy would have got caught. Instead, he took the non-obvious option and went to the player's left and into space. Which meant that Buddy was able to run on to it and goal, leaving the opposition clutching at thin air.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    On ABC radio they said Papley limped off with about 5 minutes left. Said it was the same knee he injured previously. lets hope he comes up. Thought both he and Hanners were short of a run in the first half, but they both stepped up in the last quarter, when Parker and Kennedy moved forward.
    Papley looked done in the latter stages of the third quarter in front of me (Bay 5). Stayed down clutching his already heavily strapped knee. I was begging him to get off and get iced up at that point, but I don't think he heard me
    C'mon Chels!

If we are now back to playing one ruckman (plus Towers) does that mean Sinclair could be dropped this week?

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Not faultless. I think you have forgotten that dreadful pass to Newman that was picked off.
    That was Heeney.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Why would you drop Sinclair after that sort of performance?

Quote Originally Posted by penga View Post
    Papley looked done in the latter stages of the third quarter in front of me (Bay 5). Stayed down clutching his already heavily strapped knee. I was begging him to get off and get iced up at that point, but I don't think he heard me
    Yes that's what I was seeing from Bay 3: he was on his haunches in the pocket looking gone. And then suddenly he was 80 metres away chasing someone.

Senior Player
    I'm a Towers hater, and Towers did extremely well in his role yesterday #humblepie
    C'mon Chels!

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    If we are now back to playing one ruckman (plus Towers) does that mean Sinclair could be dropped this week?
    The 2 games that he's played as a full time forward (the other being the 5 goal performance against the Saints) have been his best for the year and certainly would qualify him for a spot in any side in the comp. It's a tremendous benefit if he can continue with this vein of form as it allows Reid to wander through the midfield and help out in defence. I though Reid also had a very good game and plays that tall roaming role very well.

With Cunningham having a pretty good game as well and Reid able to cover in defence if needed, I wonder if Melican can make his way back in the side. Geelong are likely to bring back Wylie Buzza this week. I think we could exploit a matchup with Reid on Buzza and see if Buzza can go with Reid on the rebound. It seems harsh for Melican to leave him out of the side at this stage, but also harsh to drop Harry.

Can you believe that after total domination of essendon we still lost the free kick count 26 to 20. Usually the team first to the ball wins the game and the free kick count.

Similar lop sided finals:
    Crows 24. GWS 19.
    Richmond 17, cats 15.

Wow, the wining side got more frees!

This is beyond a joke.

I think that when you have Rampe playing on someone a foot taller than him , then you accept he will have to play a little on the edge of the rules and it's going to cost a few frees. I have to admit that I have not looked at who gave up the frees

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by undy View Post
    I think that when you have Rampe playing on someone a foot taller than him , then you accept he will have to play a little on the edge of the rules and it's going to cost a few frees. I have to admit that I have not looked at who gave up the frees
    Dane gave away 5 frees for the game. Going into it he'd averaged a bit less than 1 FA per game (14 from 15 games). I tend to agree you'd expect that (and from memory there were a couple of classic smaller defender on taller forward style ones, like getting called for a push on a lead).
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time