Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Day 2nd ELIMINATION FINAL Sydney v Essendon

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Not faultless. I think you have forgotten that dreadful pass to Newman that was picked off.
    That was Heeney.....not Mills. Post edit: Sorry wolftone, I now see this has already been well corrected!
    Last edited by stevoswan; 10th September 2017 at 06:17 PM.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

With Cunningham having a pretty good game as well and Reid able to cover in defence if needed, I wonder if Melican can make his way back in the side. Geelong are likely to bring back Wylie Buzza this week. I think we could exploit a matchup with Reid on Buzza and see if Buzza can go with Reid on the rebound. It seems harsh for Melican to leave him out of the side at this stage, but also harsh to drop Harry.
    I think Harry will go out, most of his stats came in the second half when it was all over. To half time he had 3 possessions and 13 fantasy points.......you'd think Melican has to come back in if he's ok.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Can you believe that after total domination of essendon we still lost the free kick count 26 to 20. Usually the team first to the ball wins the game and the free kick count.

Similar lop sided finals:
    Crows 24. GWS 19.
    Richmond 17, cats 15.

Wow, the wining side got more frees!

This is beyond a joke.
    My biggest fear at this point is making the GF and facing the new fairytale, the 'Fairycubs'......and getting shafted again.......that would be mortifying.

The key for sinclair was field position control

We needed it in our forward half and locked

With Sinclair's bud Reid etc we had so many targets it allowed us to deliver quickly into the forward line with less risk of it coming out fast

I thought the Melbourne media, both radio and television, was fairly positive towards the Swans today, however the rest of it was just Tiger delerium. If they make the granny, whoever faces them, especially a non Victorian team, will be the Lannisters of Aussie rules.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    My biggest fear at this point is making the GF and facing the new fairytale, the 'Fairycubs'......and getting shafted again.......that would be mortifying.
    I fear every final.

I can't see why we can't get umpires from outside the competing states to officiate the games. Eg. Why were Victorian umpires, umpiring a victorian side. Cricket did this year's ago.
    Why are their no NSW based umpires. We have 2 teams from here.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I fear every final.

I can't see why we can't get umpires from outside the competing states to officiate the games. Eg. Why were Victorian umpires, umpiring a victorian side. Cricket did this year's ago.
    Why are their no NSW based umpires. We have 2 teams from here.
    Neutral umpires makes sense as a fan on an emotional level but I can see why the umpires would resist it massively.

For starters it is a huge slight on their integrity, possibly justified, and also from a Vic Umpires perspective it would mean that very rarely would the biggest nursery of umpires (and probably the best) get to officiate the big one. Since 1990 there has only three Grand Finals without a Victorian team (2004-6) so you're effectively disenfranchising the entire Victorian Umpires Association.

As for why there are no NSW umpires I cannot speak for the country leagues but the Sydney umps cannot even manage the local league and would destroy and AFL Grand Final with their incompetence.

On the whole I think the blaming of Umps on results is poor form and largely exaggerated in terms of their impact. The modern game with its speed must be incredibly difficult to officiate and we should recognise that.

I would like to see more accountability though, those guys last year really shouldn't officiate a game at the highest level for a long time

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I think Harry will go out, most of his stats came in the second half when it was all over. To half time he had 3 possessions and 13 fantasy points.......you'd think Melican has to come back in if he's ok.
    I agree. I thought we looked undersized in defence and it was just as well we dominated in the midfield. We conceded a shot on goal in 56% of their entries, which I suspect is well above our season average.

To be fair the AFL umpires competency test must be pretty tough. No one has passed yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Burra View Post
    I thought the Melbourne media, both radio and television, was fairly positive towards the Swans today, however the rest of it was just Tiger delerium. If they make the granny, whoever faces them, especially a non Victorian team, will be the Lannisters of Aussie rules.
    Looking for their "story", the comeback from
    0-6 is the back up for the Richmond fairytale.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Longmire has put a lot of faith in Sinclair and Towers. He's backed those guys in despite some ordinary performances during the year. I hope they return the faith with big performances today. They both need to give 100% both mentally and physically.
    Hopefully you have no complaints about the performances of these two player. I think they both showed the work rate and determination that Longmire would have been expecting from them. Cheer cheer the red and the White! So proud of the whole team effort shown.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    Yes that's what I was seeing from Bay 3: he was on his haunches in the pocket looking gone. And then suddenly he was 80 metres away chasing someone.
    If that was early in the third term, he was down in his haunches holding his head, because he tackled Hartley and Hartley hit him with a swinging elbow to the face. Whether it was accidental, or delivered with enough malice to attract the Tribunal's interested, it's hard to tell?