Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Match Day 2nd ELIMINATION FINAL Sydney v Essendon

Senior Player
    Sinclair gets a shoutout in this "heroes and villains" article. As does Hurley in the "villains" category, "he's the All Australian centre half-back and he got towelled up by Sydney's third forward"

AFL finals week one: The heroes and villains from the first four decisive games - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger1300 View Post
    People on here are getting too paranoid re umpiring and Vic bias
    Swans just need to keep playing at this level
    The rest will fall into place
    Supporters need to remain level headed
    It does get a bit much constantly looking to blame the umpires. At one stage there was a school of thought that our 0-6 start was a consequence of bad umpiring in the Grand Final.

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Sinclair gets a shoutout in this "heroes and villains" article. As does Hurley in the "villains" category, "he's the All Australian centre half-back and he got towelled up by Sydney's third forward"

AFL finals week one: The heroes and villains from the first four decisive games - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
    Yes and Parker gets a deserved nod, as well. It will be interesting to see how him and Kennedy go over the next couple of weeks, assuming that they will often be matched up on Dangerfield and Selwood against Geelong, and Sloane and a Crouch brother against Adelaide. My tip is that they will come out on top both times.
    Actually, from reading that, you can probably tell that I'm feeling confident about the Geelong game.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Billericay View Post
    It does get a bit much constantly looking to blame the umpires. At one stage there was a school of thought that our 0-6 start was a consequence of bad umpiring in the Grand Final.
    I think it played its part. The team lost a lot of morale during that two hours (you could see their heads drop though they battled till near the end). Many of the supporters were gutted by the bias, too (I won't go to another GF and cancelled my Premiership Club membership). It must have been hard for the players to start the next year after that.

And, would you like to guess the frees by half time if the Swans (or Crows) play the "fairytale" Tigers in this year's Grand Final?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Plugger1300 View Post
    People on here are getting too paranoid re umpiring and Vic bias
    Swans just need to keep playing at this level
    The rest will fall into place
    Supporters need to remain level headed
    +3
    C'mon Chels!

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    I think it played its part. The team lost a lot of morale during that two hours (you could see their heads drop though they battled till near the end). Many of the supporters were gutted by the bias, too (I won't go to another GF and cancelled my Premiership Club membership). It must have been hard for the players to start the next year after that.

And, would you like to guess the frees by half time if the Swans (or Crows) play the "fairytale" Tigers in this year's Grand Final?
    +1
    It's the hometown umpiring that's the biggest issue & the reporting/non reporting by the media. St Kilda get reamed in a H & A game in Perth n it's time to call for a royal commission into the umpiring department but a non Vic club gets shafted badly in the most important game of the whole year n it's "nothing to see here". It was like the Iraqi general saying everything is fine while bombs were going off behind him. And after it all we were all expected to bask in bob n the bravedogs glory. I'll never forget it as long as I walk this earth.

Some of you seem to miss the fact that there is a statistically significant disparity in free kicks for and against us compared to other teams that goes back years. Someone put a link to the analysis here once. Nothing to do with the fact that we currently have a couple of enthusiastic small defenders.

I'm not sure if it is Victorian bias but it seems to happen when we are playing at the scg too so probably not due to crowd noise?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post

I'm still gutted by that GF free kick sabotage.
    At least 2014 we lost beacuse we got out played.

I think a loss with a free kick count of 20 to 10 against will remove a few rose colored glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I think a loss with a free kick count of 20 to 10 against will remove a few rose colored glasses.
    What might it take to remove the red and white "whine" coloured glasses?

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    What might it take to remove the red and white "whine" coloured glasses?
    How can you not be outraged by last years GF umpiring? It was so blatant that even the AFL came forward and admitted the umpiring was not up to scratch. To say that the umpiring had no impact on the game is ignorance. Who knows if we would of won or not but the fact is that the umpiring was poor and clearly favoured the Dogs from start to finish. On the games biggest day this is not good enough and as a hardcore swans fan it really hurts

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    How can you not be outraged by last years GF umpiring? It was so blatant that even the AFL came forward and admitted the umpiring was not up to scratch. To say that the umpiring had no impact on the game is ignorance. Who knows if we would of won or not but the fact is that the umpiring was poor and clearly favoured the Dogs from start to finish. On the games biggest day this is not good enough and as a hardcore swans fan it really hurts
    I'm certainly not happy with the 2016 GF free kick disparity (especially watching the video someone cleverly put together of the crappy calls).

But I'm a bit tired of the repetitive whinge about the free kick disparity against Sydney. It's a common theme most weeks. If it made an impact on how umpires adjudicate, go for it, but it doesn't and it's a bit tiresome & to me it makes us seem like whingers. The players just get on with it, it'd be nice if Swans supporters did too IMO.