Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Match Day 2nd ELIMINATION FINAL Sydney v Essendon

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    +1
    It's the hometown umpiring that's the biggest issue & the reporting/non reporting by the media. St Kilda get reamed in a H & A game in Perth n it's time to call for a royal commission into the umpiring department but a non Vic club gets shafted badly in the most important game of the whole year n it's "nothing to see here". It was like the Iraqi general saying everything is fine while bombs were going off behind him. And after it all we were all expected to bask in bob n the bravedogs glory. I'll never forget it as long as I walk this earth.
    Couldn't agree more. Sadly, most of the footy community were aware of the biased umpiring in last years GF, but they didn't care because the Bulldogs won. Everyone other than Sydney supporters were barracking for the Bulldogs.

I fear the same will happen if we play Richmond in this years GF. Cross that bridge when we come to it, I suppose. Still, if we get shafted by the umpires in consecutive GFs, I'm out. Whats the point? Its meant to be a competition, not a children's fairytale book.

Senior Player
    I'm not as concerned about the free kick thing quite as much as some here are, but isn't it the nature of forums such as this that people
    do discuss the issues and aspects of the game that are of interest and importance to them. Sure, some of the topics may not interest
    you. But you have the choice of just not reading those posts or threads, and you don't have to respond to them. It's not mandatory.
    You don't have to tell people to "get over it" or "let it go". These subjects are obviously important to them.

Yep, and if you just accept it, it will never change.

It's really easy to fix: professional full time umpires from (based) in all states.

But first the AFL would need to recognise the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    I'm certainly not happy with the 2016 GF free kick disparity (especially watching the video someone cleverly put together of the crappy calls).

But I'm a bit tired of the repetitive whinge about the free kick disparity against Sydney. It's a common theme most weeks. If it made an impact on how umpires adjudicate, go for it, but it doesn't and it's a bit tiresome & to me it makes us seem like whingers. The players just get on with it, it'd be nice if Swans supporters did too IMO.
    +1
    This is another thread that has been hijacked and turned into a discussion about umpires. I'm more than happy for discussion to happen, but why doesn't it have it's own thread?

I think the 'whining' is fans getting a little ahead of ourselves and mentally preparing for another potential GF against a vic fairytale team. I think it's right to be wary of umpire bias.

Great to see Parker jumping and stretching for those big marks again!

Wont happen - GWS will beat Richmond for an all Sydney GF. Then the umpires will have no chance of a Vic Bias.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    I'm not as concerned about the free kick thing quite as much as some here are, but isn't it the nature of forums such as this that people
    do discuss the issues and aspects of the game that are of interest and importance to them. Sure, some of the topics may not interest
    you. But you have the choice of just not reading those posts or threads, and you don't have to respond to them. It's not mandatory.
    You don't have to tell people to "get over it" or "let it go". These subjects are obviously important to them.
    Yes, I suspect that umpiring will continue to be a topic of discussion on AFL fan forums. Attempting to change that, might be like trying to rid your local park of ants.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    Wont happen - GWS will beat Richmond for an all Sydney GF. Then the umpires will have no chance of a Vic Bias.
    I'd like an all-Sydney final one day but on current form, doubt GWS will be around much longer. Mumford and Cameron gone for the year too.

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    I'd like an all-Sydney final one day but on current form, doubt GWS will be around much longer. Mumford and Cameron gone for the year too.
    I have a feeling mummy might have pulled the same stunt he pulled with us in 2012.. hid an injury to play.

I think the giants will be better off without him.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    I think it played its part. The team lost a lot of morale during that two hours (you could see their heads drop though they battled till near the end). Many of the supporters were gutted by the bias, too (I won't go to another GF and cancelled my Premiership Club membership). It must have been hard for the players to start the next year after that.

And, would you like to guess the frees by half time if the Swans (or Crows) play the "fairytale" Tigers in this year's Grand Final?
    ????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Posters View Post
    Some of you seem to miss the fact that there is a statistically significant disparity in free kicks for and against us compared to other teams that goes back years. Someone put a link to the analysis here once. Nothing to do with the fact that we currently have a couple of enthusiastic small defenders.

I'm not sure if it is Victorian bias but it seems to happen when we are playing at the scg too so probably not due to crowd noise?
    We've been getting reamed by the umpires for as long as I can remember. I've frequently checked the forms vs against over the last 20+ years and we are usually right down the bottom. The last few years have been no exception to this.

I'd love to get my hands on the historical stats to prove this. Anyone know where this is? I can't find it on the web.