Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Match Day 2nd ELIMINATION FINAL Sydney v Essendon

Did Brendon Goddard line Buddy up in that contest with a view to injure: did he have eyes on the ball or just on Buddy?

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    We've been getting reamed by the umpires for as long as I can remember. I've frequently checked the forms vs against over the last 20+ years and we are usually right down the bottom. The last few years have been no exception to this.

I'd love to get my hands on the historical stats to prove this. Anyone know where this is? I can't find it on the web.
    Some interesting analysis here:

You searched for Free kicks | The Arc

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    Wont happen - GWS will beat Richmond for an all Sydney GF. Then the umpires will have no chance of a Vic Bias.
    IF (and that's a big if) GW$ get into the granny against us, I can guarantee the free kick count will favour GW$.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Senior Player
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. GWS can't even win the free kick count very often at their home games. They won 4 &
    lost 7 this year. We won 6, lost 5 and there was one tied at the SCG this year. Both times we played GWS this year, we
    won the free kick count.
    Pls await my riveting statistical analysis of home team free kick count advantage in a future post. As an early taster of what
    is sure to become a landmark report, can I say Adelaide do fairly well at AO.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    IF (and that's a big if) GW$ get into the granny against us, I can guarantee the free kick count will favour GW$.
    Last edited by KTigers; 12th September 2017 at 11:09 AM.

I can guarantee that GF tickets will be easier to get than ever if GWS is playing and the GF eve parade will have the smallest crowd for a long time (both of which are fine by me).

I do, however, think GWS will struggle to beat WCE this week, let alone Richwagon the week after.

There season is looking a lot like the Swans of 2015. Can't catch a break on injuries.

Great thread! Lots of good posts - shout outs to neilfws, Ludwig, MP and, especially, Hotpotato - loved the story about the old guy and also your post on umpiring mother ducks.

Great game from a great team. Comprehensive. However, the relative weakness of the opposition may have covered over some cracks. I'm feeling very bullish about beating Geelong but it should be a bit of a step up. Crows in Adelaide is going to be a real test. Still if we go there with this kind of momentum, we can feel confident.

The disappointing thing about the match was the lack of a contest. I loved the fireworks in the second quarter, never mind that it was one-sided. But the fizz went out of the game in the second half and by the 4th quarter we were just running down the clock which was a pity for the record crowd that was reduced to relative silence at times.

Assuming there are no injuries in the picture, Melican for Cunningham this week. However, could Papley miss? Will Melican be better? (How the hell did Pelican get injured anyway after a two week layoff? Training?) I think we should be really conservative with not picking injured players to play and carry injuries. If Buddy isn't up for it, don't play him. (I understand he's almost certain to play but my point is let's not take any chances on this score regardless of who it is.)

The NEAFL GF afterwards was also disappointing, including, especially, the level of our play. There weren't many there that were demanding a senior spot. Fortunately I think our team is just going to get better over the off season. All the seniors remain and we will trim and prune the reserves to get more talent on the list, meanwhile Hayward, Florent, Dawson, Aliir et al get another pre-season and more development into them so they can press for selection next year and others start working towards that in future seasons (Murray, Pink, Cameron etc.)

With school holidays etc I'm not expecting to see another match live this year but glad I made it to this one for the record crowd and the beautiful afternoon and that second quarter.

Veterans List
    Annie you put the $ in GW$. But aren't we the millionaires club according to Eddie Millionaire? Go $wans.

Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    I can guarantee that GF tickets will be easier to get than ever if GWS is playing and the GF eve parade will have the smallest crowd for a long time (both of which are fine by me).
    They said the same thing when Brisbane first made the grand final, then again when Brisbane played port, then again when swans played west coast.
    It all turned out fine, and it's actually a good think if Joe public gets access to the grand final.

If Melbourne doesn't want to get behind a GWS v Swans grand final, then play it in Sydney.

Senior Player
    When you look at the seating charts for the GF at the MCG, it is interesting just how many bays are allotted for MCC & AFL members,
    and how few are available for sale to members of the competing clubs. Then you have the AFL scalping their own event on an industrial
    scale by offering so many "hospitality packages", I reckon you could play a GWS/Suns GF there and it would still sell out.

recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    When you look at the seating charts for the GF at the MCG, it is interesting just how many bays are allotted for MCC & AFL members,
    and how few are available for sale to members of the competing clubs. Then you have the AFL scalping their own event on an industrial
    scale by offering so many "hospitality packages", I reckon you could play a GWS/Suns GF there and it would still sell out.
    Don't forget that all AFL Grand Final tickets given to the players association - see below the new Collective Bargaining Agreement;
    Also why do players playing in a Grand Final need 8 tickets each???

36.2 Grand Final
    (a) AFL shall provide 1000 Grand Final tickets to AFLPA in each year for AFLPA to make
    such tickets available to AFL Players, AFLPA stakeholders including past Players,
    AFLPA Board and Committee members and staff.
    (b) AFLPA shall be responsible for:
    (i) Allocating Grand Final tickets to Players in such manner as it determines;
    (ii) Collecting payment for the Grand Final tickets from Players; and
    (iii) Making payment to AFL for the face value of the Grand Final tickets by 31
    October after the Grand Final provided that AFLPA shall not be required to
    pay AFL for any ticket which AFLPA returns to AFL prior to 15 September in
    the relevant year.
    (c) In addition to any ticket which a Player may be able to access in accordance with
    clause 36.2(a), each Club that competes in the Grand Final shall make not less than
    200 Grand Final tickets available to Players from that competing Club to Players
    selected to compete in the Grand Final (including emergencies), that being eight
    Grand Final tickets per Player
    . If any Player does not exhaust his allocation under this
    clause 36.2(c), those tickets shall be made available to other Players of the competing
    Club in a manner determined by the Club.
    doof-doof

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Annie you put the $ in GW$. But aren't we the millionaires club according to Eddie Millionaire? Go $wans.
    Only the bondi billionaires!!
    We're not under-funded by the AFL like GW$ are.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Wizard View Post
    Don't forget that all AFL Grand Final tickets given to the players association - see below the new Collective Bargaining Agreement;
    Also why do players playing in a Grand Final need 8 tickets each???

36.2 Grand Final
    (a) AFL shall provide 1000 Grand Final tickets to AFLPA in each year for AFLPA to make
    such tickets available to AFL Players, AFLPA stakeholders including past Players,
    AFLPA Board and Committee members and staff.
    (b) AFLPA shall be responsible for:
    (i) Allocating Grand Final tickets to Players in such manner as it determines;
    (ii) Collecting payment for the Grand Final tickets from Players; and
    (iii) Making payment to AFL for the face value of the Grand Final tickets by 31
    October after the Grand Final provided that AFLPA shall not be required to
    pay AFL for any ticket which AFLPA returns to AFL prior to 15 September in
    the relevant year.
    (c) In addition to any ticket which a Player may be able to access in accordance with
    clause 36.2(a), each Club that competes in the Grand Final shall make not less than
    200 Grand Final tickets available to Players from that competing Club to Players
    selected to compete in the Grand Final (including emergencies), that being eight
    Grand Final tickets per Player
    . If any Player does not exhaust his allocation under this
    clause 36.2(c), those tickets shall be made available to other Players of the competing
    Club in a manner determined by the Club.
    If you were playing in a granny, wouldn't you want your family there to see it?
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

A fond memory from the game: I was below O'Reilly and slightly towards Randwick. Just before the bounce Dane Rampe and Joe Daniher walked down to the Bombers' forward 50 together. They slapped hands together as a sign of good sportsmanship, which was nice to see. Then not 2 seconds later, it's game on and Rampe turns around and starts pushing, shoving, niggling, Daniher, still in the remaining moments before the bounce. Loved it!