Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans Academy Talent

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Very good SSB, and he can line up alongside Big Bird if we draft Joel Garner this year. I soooo much want to be able to yell "Go Big Bird" at the SCG
    Joel's brother Todd is eligible for Hawthorn 2019

Hawks primed to land multicultural forward - M.afl.com.au

Joel was eligible but didn't want to be part of an academy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pmcc2911 View Post
    Blakley has been injured a lot of this year with a dodgy back. He does seem a little fragile.
    With regards to Rayner he has the goods and he is a well grounded young man as well. His Dad is 6'6" plus so Josh has plenty of growing to do.
    Mills missed virtually a whole year in his draft year due to injury. So it's more management for Nic I'd say.

Josh could very easily slide n not even get drafted but on the other hand could bolt n go top 5. There's a long way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    Joel's brother Todd is eligible for Hawthorn 2019

Hawks primed to land multicultural forward - M.afl.com.au

Joel was eligible but didn't want to be part of an academy.
    There is every chance that in a couple of years, we'll be the team that is being disadvantaged by the academy systems. It will be interesting to see the outrage for the Melbourne clubs and supporters if this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    There is every chance that in a couple of years, we'll be the team that is being disadvantaged by the academy systems. It will be interesting to see the outrage for the Melbourne clubs and supporters if this happens.
    I doubt very much whether the other clubs will have more of an advantage in Victoria but I could very well see it with the WA clubs and their indigenous talent, but I actually think that is a good thing as homesickness is such an issue for those kids and them being able to stay near their families will hopefully make the transition easier for indigenous kids.

Overall I'm happy to have the NGAs have a few wins to secure the future of our academy, I think the ability to build a homegrown list is that important for us to sustain our success. As long as we can get that then the benefits for other clubs is academic for us.

Of course there is the bigger issue that the academies also address. Not saying the whining of the Victorian clubs doesn't grind my gears but if the NGAs help the development programmes and take the heat off us then I'll cop them.

Veteran Site Admin
    I think the concept of the NGAs is mostly fine but I do hope the AFL applies eligibility criteria regarding host clubs' involvement in the players' development in a consistent fashion to that applied to the northern states' academies. Last year, for example, Todd Marshall was ruled to be ineligible to be nominated by the Giants as an academy player because it was adjudged that the Giants hadn't been sufficiently involved in his development. At the same time, the AFL made it clear to the northern clubs that they had to be able to produce documentation showing the player's development programme and the applicable academy's involvement in his development.

The NGAs need to be genuinely enhancing the developmental prospects of the players they have access to, not just going through the motions and cherry-picking players as they reach draft age. It's for that reason I'm slightly dubious about the inclusion of indigenous players from the major metropolitan areas of SA, WA and Victoria. There aren't the same cultural barriers to these boys taking up football that may apply to multi-cultural players, and they already have access to the same development infrastructure that non-indigenous or multicultural players have.

Remote areas are a different matter, because they don't have access to the same level of developmental infrastructure. That's the primary justification for the northern academies, IMO. However, I think all kids in remote areas should be eligible to participate in schemes that genuinely add to the infrastructure, not just those of indigenous or multicultural heritages.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think the concept of the NGAs is mostly fine but I do hope the AFL applies eligibility criteria regarding host clubs' involvement in the players' development in a consistent fashion to that applied to the northern states' academies. Last year, for example, Todd Marshall was ruled to be ineligible to be nominated by the Giants as an academy player because it was adjudged that the Giants hadn't been sufficiently involved in his development. At the same time, the AFL made it clear to the northern clubs that they had to be able to produce documentation showing the player's development programme and the applicable academy's involvement in his development.

The NGAs need to be genuinely enhancing the developmental prospects of the players they have access to, not just going through the motions and cherry-picking players as they reach draft age. It's for that reason I'm slightly dubious about the inclusion of indigenous players from the major metropolitan areas of SA, WA and Victoria. There aren't the same cultural barriers to these boys taking up football that may apply to multi-cultural players, and they already have access to the same development infrastructure that non-indigenous or multicultural players have.

Remote areas are a different matter, because they don't have access to the same level of developmental infrastructure. That's the primary justification for the northern academies, IMO. However, I think all kids in remote areas should be eligible to participate in schemes that genuinely add to the infrastructure, not just those of indigenous or multicultural heritages.
    +1

The indigenous kids from metro areas will be a contentious one but I essentially support the NGAs.

Apart from the indigenous content the game is extremely mono-cultural. I'd love to see each team having a couple of African players not to mention the virtual complete lack of Asian representation.

I just hope that the AFL ensures that any kids that are recruited have had sufficient investment from the clubs in question.

On a practical level I think the NGAs will find that developing AFL level talent when you're up against the established TAC Cup/elite Private School pathways is bloody hard work, as we have found out here in Sydney

Senior Player

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Marco Rossman also rated a mention

Swans Academy v Giants Academy tomorrow at Woollongong. Will be live streamed on you tube I believe with link and details in the Swans Academy facebook page.

Will be a chance to see Gulden Campbell et al in action .

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    Swans Academy v Giants Academy tomorrow at Woollongong. Will be live streamed on you tube I believe with link and details in the Swans Academy facebook page.

Thanks for that. I've quite missed watching our youngsters run around, in the NAB League and the NEAFL.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post

I can't see the link in the Academy Facebook page - but then I don't "do Facebook" so maybe its because I can't log in. Any chance someone can post the link to the YouTube feed on here?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I can't see the link in the Academy Facebook page - but then I don't "do Facebook" so maybe its because I can't log in. Any chance someone can post the link to the YouTube feed on here?
    After several fruitless attempts, I've managed to find the link on YouTube. Starts at midday.

LIVESTREAM AFL Swans Academy v Giants Academy - YouTube

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast