Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Match Day SEMI FINAL Geelong v Sydney MCG 7.50pm Friday 15 September

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    After 18 weeks of mostly victories and a couple of narrow losses I'd nearly forgotten how so many can turn on their club with harsh impulsive criticism after a loss.

Over those 18 weeks Horse was hailed as a genius at times for restoring a lost season and dragging us from the depths of despair to be the only team in the history of the VFL/AFL to make the finals from a 0-6 start (a start hampered by yet another late pre-season and injuries to keep players who had to work themselves into form). Now I'm relieved to see sanity has prevailed and he should be sacked after yet another poor performance (the first really poor performance in 3 months or so).

Great to see the return of doom and gloom regarding our list that saw the debuts of Dawson, Florent, Hayward, Fox, Melican, Newman; the development of Mills, Heeney, Papley and even Towers; and the return of AJ.

Buddy had an off night. Should take the shine off the Coleman that he won this year.

I'm reassured that Towers regains his whipping boy mantle after a month of people erroneously suggesting he had found enough confidence that his potential might have started to be realised.

Although Gary Rohan should be the heir apparent (apparently). And luckily for the Tippett thread, his form was poor enough to breathe life into it (don't worry about the injuries that resulted in the form slump).

Oh and all those players who should now be traded? Sorry all our energy was wasted when we were so excited about resigning them during the season.

Yes, wonderful to see that a loss can bring out the worst of some on RWO.

Swans, I am disappointed with your bookend 0-6 start and semi-final capitulation. But thank you for a memorable year from round 7 to the Elimination Final. And no much how I hurt as a supporter tonight after that loss closed the chapter of 2017 for us, I know the players and coaches are hurting more. While my life as a Swans fan is forever and will have many highs and lows to come, I do understand your lives as Swans players is more fleeting and tonight's loss will hurt you more than we as supporters will understand.

I look forward to tonight's disappointment spurring you greater successes in seasons to come.
    We set a record unlikely to be broken by making finals after 0-6. We faced a Geelong team playing for its reputation. On the rebound, top four sides that lose the qualifying final have a massive record in the semi. We got hammered around the contest and when we did get the ball, turned it over time after time through fumbling and poor decisions. Last year we had a very poor game against GWS. We had no second chance this year. We are a very good team who looked tired, flat and a bit listless. It can happen in a one off game. To turn on players, coaches etc may be cathartic but is irrational. I am sure the club will analyse the year and make adjustments. Geelong's game plan worked last night and credit to them but we just didn't get our hand on the ball often enough and their pressure and energy was greater. Statistically, we were due for a bad one. Unfortunately, we had no second chance. Still rather be a Swan supporter- the team gave us a great ride considering everything.

With a door mat strapped to his leg, Buddy was totally unbalanced.
    Tippo was in better shape .

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    We set a record unlikely to be broken by making finals after 0-6. We faced a Geelong team playing for its reputation. On the rebound, top four sides that lose the qualifying final have a massive record in the semi. We got hammered around the contest and when we did get the ball, turned it over time after time through fumbling and poor decisions. Last year we had a very poor game against GWS. We had no second chance this year. We are a very good team who looked tired, flat and a bit listless. It can happen in a one off game. To turn on players, coaches etc may be cathartic but is irrational. I am sure the club will analyse the year and make adjustments. Geelong's game plan worked last night and credit to them but we just didn't get our hand on the ball often enough and their pressure and energy was greater. Statistically, we were due for a bad one. Unfortunately, we had no second chance. Still rather be a Swan supporter- the team gave us a great ride considering everything.
    +1.

Buddy probably shouldn't have been playing: he only seemed to get beyond a trot once or twice, and their backs were running off him too easily, which set up their kick to kick across half back�when our boys are on song they seem to be able to corrall opposition deep into pockets to force the kick down the line to a contest. That just didn't happen last night. And I wonder about what other players were carrying into the game. Heeney is clearly running on fumes after the glandular fever. Naismith seemed to be getting his hands on the ball in the rucks, but our clearances were bombed away wastefully (shades of the Ryan O'Keefe blasts of yesteryear). Just felt like a perfect storm: mids not hard enough and half a pace behind a motivated opposition, therefore no supply to outside runners; backs rattled early and umpired out of contests; no forward defensive pressure so Cats able to clear danger area and control the ball from half back. And credit to Geelong, who executed and sustained a game plan no-one thought that they had the skills, ticker or discipline to execute.
    Really disappointing, but what a ride 2017 has been: some of my favourite days at the footy since I became a member in 1999.
    I'm also very interested to hear from those with a better understanding of the game think that 'Plan B' should be against the Clarkson short lateral kick/keeping off game? everyone is complaining about not having a Plan B, so what should it be? Shuffling an extra behind the ball seems to be about it, but I wanted that extra to fill the space in front of Dangerfield, which didn't seem to happen.

and he wore Capper shorts, restricting him even more.
    Should have worn flappy Eddie Betts shorts .

This is my comment generally and not just about the game last night. My comment also applies to the twos.

I think there is a cultural problem at the club.

Whilst the goals are laudable; high bloods standards, toughness, ensuring accountability there is a recurring theme that is creeping in the seniors and the firsts. What ever we are doing seems to fail us in finals.

When I look at seconds and seniors I see young players unable to maintain the standards, especially being able to keep a cool head and dispose of the ball well. Last night our terrible disposal under pressure cost us.

What's missing? I believe that the senior players do not create an environment that nurtures and inspires confidence to the young players. Over the last couple of years I think guys like mills and Heeney have been pushed around by the senior guys not supported.

Guys like McVeigh just admonish the young players all in the name of high standards. Kennedy is a bit of a lone wolf. Hanners and Parker have not emerged as true leaders. Buddy is self focussed.

We have no hodge, MITCHELL or Selwood to give the kids confidence and to bring out their best.

The club needs senior players who are genuine leaders that the young guys feel have their back. And most importantly want the kids to succeed. So many swans senior players don't live that value. That was the bloods culture . Remember Kelly and kirky? You can't expect kids like Newman, Haywood etc just to know how to do it. Great sides have senior players who teach not direct. Until we can find them we will not win a flag.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    and he wore Capper shorts, restricting him even more.
    Should have worn flappy Eddie Betts shorts .
    Yes!! Bud is going to get big when football's over, isn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    This is my comment generally and not just about the game last night. My comment also applies to the twos.

Whilst the goals are laudable; high bloods standards, toughness, ensuring accountability there is a recurring theme that is creeping in the seniors and the firsts. What ever we are doing seems to fail us in finals.

When I look at seconds and seniors I see young players unable to maintain the standards, especially being able to keep a cool head and dispose of the ball well. Last night our terrible disposal under pressure cost us.

What's missing? I believe that the senior players do not create an environment that nurtures and inspires confidence to the young players. Over the last couple of years I think guys like mills and Heeney have been pushed around by the senior guys not supported.

Guys like McVeigh just admonish the young players all in the name of high standards. Kennedy is a bit of a lone wolf. Hanners and Parker have not emerged as true leaders. Buddy is self focussed.

We have no hodge, MITCHELL or Selwood to give the kids confidence and to bring out their best.

The club needs senior players who are genuine leaders that the young guys feel have their back. And most importantly want the kids to succeed. So many swans senior players don't live that value. That was the bloods culture . Remember Kelly and kirky? You can't expect kids like Newman, Haywood etc just to know how to do it. Great sides have senior players who teach not direct. Until we can find them we will not win a flag.
    There's so much rubbish posted on here since we lost but I think you may have a point here

Senior Player

Came back from 0-6. Never been done in history of the game. Had one poor finals game just like last year except no double chance. Some leadership and cultural problem!

Whenever one of the younger players gets interviewed, he speaks so highly of the team leaders. Youngsters like Hayward extend their contracts before the first year is gone. No one, except perhaps a player not getting a regular senior spot, is asking to be traded. Maybe the young players are lying when they praise the culture and the leaders. I think that's what you are surmising, but the evidence says otherwise.

A team that plays with exquisite skills one week and rubbish the next doesn't imply a poor culture. I would look somewhere else for answers.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Whenever one of the younger players gets interviewed, he speaks so highly of the team leaders. Youngsters like Hayward extend their contracts before the first year is gone. No one, except perhaps a player not getting a regular senior spot, is asking to be traded. Maybe the young players are lying when they praise the culture and the leaders. I think that's what you are surmising, but the evidence says otherwise.

A team that plays with exquisite skills one week and rubbish the next doesn't imply a poor culture. I would look somewhere else for answers.
    Logical and sane post

I have reservations about Kennedy as skipper, and thought that he looked a bit uncertain in those first six weeks (and to be fair he seemed to get around his teammates much more as the season progressed) but otherwise can't see much evidence for this. Lots of players re-signing, great spirit week after week when they sing the song, Buddy earlier in the season getting chipped for handing off rather than taking shots, sometimes generous to a fault. I do think that Parker and Hannebery need to step up, but they are harder elder statesmen yet. And as for McVeigh admonishing youngsters: it seems to me that Mills has not been shy about calling out his backline mates on occasions. I think that last night a tired team got taken on by a highly motivated, disciplined and skilled outfit and were half a metre off the pace all night. The diagnoses of finals chokers is not fair: they did not choke in the 2016 GF, but were beaten by a team on fire (and didn't get the run of the umpiring). Other than that, they played two cracking games against the Cats and Crows; in 2014 they were outstanding against North and the Dockers, before being comprehensively outplayed in the GF. There is no shame in that. I reckon that we do have a tendency to put players on the park who are a bit banged up�that may be the downside of the Bloods culture thing, but I also accept that by the time you get to mid September, most teams are carrying blokes with injuries.

The fact that 2014 GF and this game are so similar is the worry. Back in the 2005 to 2012 era we would never end a final series like that.