Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Day SEMI FINAL Geelong v Sydney MCG 7.50pm Friday 15 September

Match Day SEMI FINAL Geelong v Sydney MCG 7.50pm Friday 15 September

Second to play fifth, yet Swans are favourites. What's going on?

It's about the form of Sydney, the extaordinary momentum they are taking into this game, the excellent headspace they occupy, the health and strength of the 22 (touch wood) and one chilled and outstanding ingredient: the captain Josh Kennedy . Selwood is an excellent captain as well.
    But is there a better pedigreed Captain than Josh? OTC Monday night he was terrific, calm, happy and strong. "I moved on from the Essendon game after about five minutes."

The Cats will turn up, losing the QF from 2 against the Tigers will ensure that. Hurting.

Looks like a slippery ball:

Forecast for the rest of Friday
    Summary: Max 17Showers increasing.Possible rainfall: 3 to 10 mmChance of any rain: 90%
    Melbourne area
    Cloudy. Very high (95%) chance of showers, particularly during this afternoon and evening. Winds west to northwesterly 20 to 30 km/h.

Forecasts for Melbourne can mean anything.

The media are talking a lot about how to beat Buddy (especially Lonergan).
    That's fine, Buddy can handle it, he's playing very well, it takes the pressure of the 21 others are aren't going too bad even ones who have been given a pretty hard time on here like Towers and Sinclair.

It's losable as the great Liz has said, but Sydney will win this one, by 25 points.

The celebration can last just another 5 mins, Josh Kennedy style.

Is it possible that the Cats lost last week to avoid the lack of games going into the Prelim? If I remember correctly they missed those games last year then lost to us in the Prelim. There seems to be a lot of complaining through the media that the advantage of finishing 1-4 has been lost with the bye round before the finals start. Maybe they thought losing the final Qualifying Final was better for them.

I expect them to come out firing.

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    Is it possible that the Cats lost last week to avoid the lack of games going into the Prelim? If I remember correctly they missed those games last year then lost to us in the Prelim. There seems to be a lot of complaining through the media that the advantage of finishing 1-4 has been lost with the bye round before the finals start. Maybe they thought losing the final Qualifying Final was better for them.

I can't imagine any team deliberately tanking to meet Sydney based on our recent form.

Pretty excited about tonight. Not over confident but we should win pretty easily if we play to form.

Remember same finals stage in 2005? We were expected to win that easily too but needed ND's magic to get over the line.

I haven't bought a ticket yet because the Mrs had a family function thrust upon us. Close to deciding to put my foot down and go to the footy anyway (although she said I could go to Adelaide next week if Swans win and I miss this game).

Swans by 26.

Senior Player
    Not confident for tonight especially in the rain

It's strange that the giants had a poorer loss than Geelong, yet start hot favourites against eagles, yet Geelong are rank outsiders in a game of 2nd v 6th at home.

It's going to be tougher than the media are making out.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    It's strange that the giants had a poorer loss than Geelong, yet start hot favourites against eagles, yet Geelong are rank outsiders in a game of 2nd v 6th at home.

It's going to be tougher than the media are making out.
    It's not that strange. The Giants are playing a side that scraped into the eight - literally - and are notoriously bad travellers.

We're a side that most think is a top four side on talent and form, we travel pretty well, and have a good recent record against the Cats.

However, I agree it's going to be tougher than the odds suggest. Not sure tougher than the media - most have spent the week making a case for why the Cats can win.

(I also think that West Coast aren't without a chance against the Giants.)

On the surface I'm very confident about this one, given last week's form of the two sides. But nagging away, is the memory of just how confident I was, after we flogged North in the 2014 prelim.

Not bloody likely (in best fake cockney voice)

OMFG.
    The nerves.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    OMFG.
    The nerves.
    Yes, 7.50 can't come quickly enough. If you believe the media, we'll know the outcome by quarter time, so roll on 8.20

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    OMFG.
    The nerves.
    +1. Don't usually take notice of who the favourites are in a match (especially this year), but let's hope they are correct.
    No matter the outcome we have broken a lot of records this year and I couldn't be prouder of our boys.

No matter the outcome we have broken a lot of records this year and I couldn't be prouder of our boys.
    +1

Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast