Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: He ain't heavy, he's my brother

Just wild about Harry
    Barry, did someone in Melbourne hurt you at some stage? What is this anti-Melbourne at all costs crusade you are on? Just let me know if you would like to talk about it at some stage.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I think that the same was said of the swans means the bonds are stronger.
    Can you please show so evidence of these "bonds"? I see nothing but a rivalry (and from where I'm sitting it's not of the Crows/Port / Eagles/Freo intensity, more an elephant batting away at an annoying mosquito at this stage.

Giants remind me a lot of that Greg Williams era swans. Maybe not the edilson theatre, but the perception by the rest of the comp.
    I can't see it's even remotely similar.

Dr Edelsten (your loose spelling & insistence that others should think certain ways reminds me of Matt80) bought the licence (& I'm simplifying this as the financials were not that clear cut, but for all intensive purposes the licence was bought from the VFL). GW$ was fabricated by the AFL.

Once Edelsten purchased the licence, the Club had to find its own funds to recruit the players and develop facilities to try to earn success. GW$ were gifted priority picks, funding to lure NRL experiments, extended lists and cap space to give a good chance of success.

I'm sorry barry, but I simply find the existence of that other Sydney franchise offensive.

While I can see that it does have benefits for the Sydney football market, I would liken it to Telstra having competition from other telcos - as a consumer it's good, as a shareholder not so. I this instance I'd say the majority of Swans supporters are more like the shareholders and primarily want success for their own club. Obviously not everybody thinks that way, but I'd propose that the majority do.

With respect, I'm not suggesting you change your views (as if that could be achieved), I'm just suggesting that the "bond" between the Swans and the Giants that you referred to is more fabricated that GW$ itself is.

GW$ is no ones sibling IMO.

Mod notice: Due to the overwhelming number of threads on the main page and our proven record of 99.99% up time, we are forced to move this thread to the thriving general footy page to relieve load on RWO chat. We apologize for any inconvenience.

It is not, I repeat not, that we want to:
    - kill any general footy chat.
    - pretend we are a large board with high volume.
    - give us something to do.

Happy posting.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Can you please show so evidence of these "bonds"? I see nothing but a rivalry (and from where I'm sitting it's not of the Crows/Port / Eagles/Freo intensity, more an elephant batting away at an annoying mosquito at this stage.

Dr Edelsten (your loose spelling & insistence that others should think certain ways reminds me of Matt80) bought the licence (& I'm simplifying this as the financials were not that clear cut, but for all intents and purposes the licence was bought from the VFL). GW$ was fabricated by the AFL.

Once Edelsten purchased the licence, the Club had to find its own funds to recruit the players and develop facilities to try to earn success. GW$ were gifted priority picks, funding to lure NRL experiments, extended lists and cap space to give a good chance of success.

I'm sorry barry, but I simply find the existence of that other Sydney franchise offensive.

While I can see that it does have benefits for the Sydney football market, I would liken it to Telstra having competition from other telcos - as a consumer it's good, as a shareholder not so. I this instance I'd say the majority of Swans supporters are more like the shareholders and primarily want success for their own club. Obviously not everybody thinks that way, but I'd propose that the majority do.

With respect, I'm not suggesting you change your views (as if that could be achieved), I'm just suggesting that the "bond" between the Swans and the Giants that you referred to is more fabricated that GW$ itself is.

GW$ is no one's sibling IMO.
    I'm happy to have another club in Sydney but I'm not happy about the way it's been done. The name Greater Western Sydney implies a location somewhere west of Parramatta; Blacktown would have been a good location but was dumped, I suspect because they saw it as in the too hard basket. So instead they have taken the softer option of Flemington, and I have the impression that most of the players live in the eastern suburbs - happy to be corrected if I'm mistaken. The result is a thoroughly artificial creation that has no real connection with the outer suburbs of Sydney.

I would much have preferred them to take the hard road of Blacktown (for example) and locate the players in the Hills District or the Lower Blue Mountains if they wanted something more salubrious than Blacktown or Pendle Hill where I lived for eight years. The process of building the club would have taken much longer and would have required substantial support, but if the ultimate aim is to grow the game that would have been a much more farsighted option with a stronger base for the club. What we have instead is a truncated vision and sadly lost opportunity.

(09183305, I hope you don't mind the bit in bold.)
    Last edited by dimelb; 22nd September 2017 at 09:32 AM.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

You can't tell players where to live. How many Collingwood players do you think live in Collingwood.

It also shows your lack of knowledge of Sydney infrastructure to suggest blacktown is a good base location.
    Olympic park is a very good strategic location, and swans can't complain as we were very public in our distaste for the West.

Senior Player
    Tempted to agree here. A considerable number of Swans members spent almost fifteen years complaining about having to go out to ANZ
    for a few games a year. When they were accused of getting lost anywhere west of Leichhardt, suddenly everyone became "turf experts"
    and playing surface excuse was trotted out. Sure, I prefer the SCG too, but a few games somewhere else shouldn't have turned into such
    a big deal. And it did kinda say to the west of Sydney that the Swans and their members aren't interested in you. Now we have this situation
    where no more than 46,000 people can ever see an AFL game in Sydney without heaven and earth (literally) being trucked up
    from Victoria.
    Last edited by KTigers; 22nd September 2017 at 11:08 AM.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    You can't tell players where to live. How many Collingwood players do you think live in Collingwood.
    Of course you can. If the player doesn't already own his house he lives in one belonging to the club, where I assume most of the players live.

It also shows your lack of knowledge of Sydney infrastructure to suggest blacktown is a good base location.
    Olympic park is a very good strategic location, and swans can't complain as we were very public in our distaste for the West.
    In my teens Blacktown was Hicksville. I visited there a couple of years ago and it has grown enormously. Between train, bus and car I suspect the club could have done as well as they have in their present location. But the AFL (I think, possibly with club input) decided otherwise and put the mayor of Blacktown, who saw opportunities for both club and public, offside forever. I'm well aware that my plan for GWS isn't going to happen, but I can regret what might have been with a bit more courage and a willingness to take the time required.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    No young bloke earning a nice six figure salary moving here from interstate decides to live in Blacktown !
    Likewise, I'll be very surprised if there any Bombers players living out at Essendon (Melbourne's geographical
    equivalent of Homebush) y'know, trying to keep it real.

Blog Entries
    I'm still a Toby fan.
    Yellow and Black for me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    No young bloke earning a nice six figure salary moving here from interstate decides to live in Blacktown !
    Likewise, I'll be very surprised if there any Bombers players living out at Essendon (Melbourne's geographical
    equivalent of Homebush) y'know, trying to keep it real.
    Olympic park is the geographic centre of Sydney, and in greater western Sydney, albeit the eastern edge.

But the SCG is also on the eastern edge of the swans former catchment of "Sydney".

Any geographical arguments against either side are silly.

Also essendon is on the outskirts of Melbourne, nothing like homebush.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyway back to the game. Poor giants coped a tough finals draw. Would have been nicer for them if their first MCG final was against a Vic minow rather than a whale.

The shiel concussion really hurt them. Cochin should go, but you never know how corrupt the AFL is.

Blog Entries
    The shiel concussion really hurt them. Cochin should go, but you never know how corrupt the AFL is.
    2 guys going hard at the ball.
    Nothing in it. He will play.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    2 guys going hard at the ball.
    Nothing in it. He will play.
    I totally agree with your assessment.
    it's how it should be.

But it isn't.
    Going of precedents this year, he should get a fine (= 1 week)
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast