Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 162

Thread: Coaching panel

  1. #1

    Coaching panel

    Looks like some changes in our coaching panel this year, and congrats to Rhys Shaw on his award at the coaches awards.

    Henry Playfair gone to St Kilda.
    Jeremy Laidler retired from footy, but to be a development coach. (Does that mean for the academy or the NEAFL?).
    Stewy Dew maybe going to the Suns.
    Stevie J maybe coming to us as an assistant coach.

    In this case is a change as good as a holiday? It worked for the Tigers this year as they changed their coaching panel but kept their senior coach?
    The Pies are going to do the same thing next year (copycats).

  2. #2
    Except Tigers had a review and completely overhauled including coaching style, captain style etc. and they brought in outside ideas with coaches including Blake Caracella, who let to a completely new way of playing.

    Not sure we need to go that far, but most of the appointments announced are from within except Stevie J, who's yet to be announced and never coached before.

  3. #3
    I wasn't being critical of our panel, just that we seemed to have been stable for such a long time with no changes (which was a good thing).

  4. #4
    Veteran Site Admin
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    12,728
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    I wasn't being critical of our panel, just that we seemed to have been stable for such a long time with no changes (which was a good thing).
    I don't think that's true. We've not had a major overhaul recently, a la Tiggies, but there's been gradual change of personnel and of roles within existing personnel. Some examples (not comprehensive)

    - Kirk's addition to the coaching panel for 2017 (or did he come the year before?)
    - Blakey's move from 2IC senior coach to heading up the development team
    - Shaw's addition to the team as a development coach in 2016
    - Crouch's movement from development coach of the AFL side to head of coaching for the academy
    - Francou's recruitment around three years ago
    - Dew's recruitment a year or two before that

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I don't think that's true. We've not had a major overhaul recently, a la Tiggies, but there's been gradual change of personnel and of roles within existing personnel. Some examples (not comprehensive)

    - Kirk's addition to the coaching panel for 2017 (or did he come the year before?)
    - Blakey's move from 2IC senior coach to heading up the development team
    - Shaw's addition to the team as a development coach in 2016
    - Crouch's movement from development coach of the AFL side to head of coaching for the academy
    - Francou's recruitment around three years ago
    - Dew's recruitment a year or two before that
    It would seem I have missed quite a few positional changes within the panel. I bow to you knowledge of our clubs coaching panel (and all things Swans by the way) Liz.

  6. #6
    Senior Player dejavoodoo44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    1,792
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I don't think that's true. We've not had a major overhaul recently, a la Tiggies, but there's been gradual change of personnel and of roles within existing personnel. Some examples (not comprehensive)

    - Kirk's addition to the coaching panel for 2017 (or did he come the year before?)
    - Blakey's move from 2IC senior coach to heading up the development team
    - Shaw's addition to the team as a development coach in 2016
    - Crouch's movement from development coach of the AFL side to head of coaching for the academy
    - Francou's recruitment around three years ago
    - Dew's recruitment a year or two before that
    Kirky was definitely on board in 2016. I know, because I remember seeing him putting players through some drills, prior to a game that I saw live, and there were no live games in Queensland this year.

  7. #7
    Warming the Bench
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    187
    Martin Mattner retired midway through the 2013 AFL season and became one of our development/Assistant coaches. However, he returned to SA at the end of 2015 season. Jeremy Laidler is following a similar path?
    Last edited by Aaron; 27th September 2017 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Add comments

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Martin Mattner retired midway through the 2013 AFL season and became one of our development/Assistant coaches. However, he returned to SA at the end of 2015 season. Jeremy Laidler is following a similar path?
    Great that Marty coaches a couple of premierships with Sturt over the last couple of years (first 2 years as coach there)

    And while talking ex-Swans in SA, sad to see that Campbell Heath just recently had another ACL recon. Speedy recovery Campbell

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Great that Marty coaches a couple of premierships with Sturt over the last couple of years (first 2 years as coach there)

    And while talking ex-Swans in SA, sad to see that Campbell Heath just recently had another ACL recon. Speedy recovery Campbell
    Will never forget Mattner's chase, tackle and forcing of a boundary throw in in the last stages of 2012 GF. Copybook defensive play that was a huge part of winning the flag.

  10. #10
    I am glad I started this thread. It is bringing back a lot of good memories. Marty for example.

  11. #11
    Senior Player dejavoodoo44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    1,792
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Great that Marty coaches a couple of premierships with Sturt over the last couple of years (first 2 years as coach there)

    And while talking ex-Swans in SA, sad to see that Campbell Heath just recently had another ACL recon. Speedy recovery Campbell
    Yes, good to see that Marty Mattner is going so well in the SANFL. Even though I would still class myself as a Norwood supporter.
    It will be interesting to see how many players, who were coached by Roosy, go on to become senior coaches. So far, I think that the only is Paul Williams, who just coached a few games as a stand in? But there's probably quite a few who might step up. Kirk, Nicks, Crouch, Playfair. Is Mickey O still coaching? Did Shaw play under Roos?
    Anyway, I think that there should be some sort of a dynasty.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, good to see that Marty Mattner is going so well in the SANFL. Even though I would still class myself as a Norwood supporter.
    It will be interesting to see how many players, who were coached by Roosy, go on to become senior coaches. So far, I think that the only is Paul Williams, who just coached a few games as a stand in? But there's probably quite a few who might step up. Kirk, Nicks, Crouch, Playfair. Is Mickey O still coaching? Did Shaw play under Roos?
    Anyway, I think that there should be some sort of a dynasty.

    Shaw played under Roos in 2009 and 2010

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO