Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Coaching panel

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by MadCanuck View Post
    ..................................... So what's Blakey's role?
    To stay very calm and unflustered in the box regardless of Horse's histrionics :-)

Oh, and to make sure Nick Blakey nominates us first for the 2018 ND!

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Oh, and to make sure Nick Blakey nominates us first for the 2018 ND!
    His most important role!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Levii3 View Post
    Love Tadhg's addition now its time to develop a proper HB line like we had the previous decade like Shaw Tadhg Matner Malceski even Leo Barry.

Not sure about the SJ addition if he can fix our forward setup and positioning something even Kirk hasn't been able to do. Having SJ will be great for the small forwards particularly Hayward (potential 400 goal player) and James Rose.
    His ability to read the play is his greatest strength. If he can impart his knowledge to our forwards on when to "go" then it will go a long way to fixing one of our big problems. Namely an open forward line with no players in it.

Veterans List
    Hopefully Stevie J will be able to teach our players how to kick the around the corner goal. Especially Reid because he always misses when he tries it!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    Tadhg
    Some ingenious person on this site way back noted "Tadhg, ends same as beginning of H G Nelson". I've had it right ever since!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

There's a popular dish with foreigners around here. It's an Irish stew with hot chili sauce called a Thai Kennelly.

Stevie J is a genius, who will teach our forwards more than they could possibly imagine. His competitiveness gets confused with selfishness at times. He knows he can execute better than anyone, so always wanted the footy in his hands.
    Movement around the ground, leading patterns, body work, skill execution. All things our forwards struggle with. They provide great pressure to create repeat opportunities and turnovers. But they're not overly functional with their structures.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    Stevie J is a genius, who will teach our forwards more than they could possibly imagine. His competitiveness gets confused with selfishness at times. He knows he can execute better than anyone, so always wanted the footy in his hands.
    Movement around the ground, leading patterns, body work, skill execution. All things our forwards struggle with. They provide great pressure to create repeat opportunities and turnovers. But they're not overly functional with their structures.
    I agree with this, in the main.

Towards the end of the season, especially against the weak and mediocre sides, our midfield was dominating to such an extent that it was almost impossible not to score, though I do acknowledge that goal conversion efficiency was pretty good, which added to the scoring potential. In the week between the Essendon triumph and the Geelong capitulation, David King described the Swans as an offensive machine.

But earlier in the season, when the midfield was just getting into its strides, I thought there were many games where we didn't get bang for our buck on the scoreline. Some was poor conversion of good scoring opportunities but the structure of the forward line wasn't always effective.

Back in 2003-6, when we had a pretty modest, if hardworking midfield, the main reason we were able to match it on the scoreboard with the dynamic midfields of teams like Brisbane, Port, West Coast etc was because our forward line was remarkably good at turning forward 50 entries into scores. MickyO, BBB, ROK, Dicky Navis, the Schneiderman and Monty worked very effectively together. They were a pretty talented group individually but together they became even more than the sum of their parts. If we could get anything close to that synergy going with Buddy, Reid, Hayward, Papley et al sitting in front of a far more dominant midfield (on its day - let's ignore the off-days when it all falls apart), going to the footy could become even more fun.

As an aside, our forward line coach during that early to mid naughties period was John Longmire, so you think he'd understand the value of a forward line coach who actually spent his playing days as a forward.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I agree with this, in the main.

Towards the end of the season, especially against the weak and mediocre sides, our midfield was dominating to such an extent that it was almost impossible not to score, though I do acknowledge that goal conversion efficiency was pretty good, which added to the scoring potential. In the week between the Essendon triumph and the Geelong capitulation, David King described the Swans as an offensive machine.

But earlier in the season, when the midfield was just getting into its strides, I thought there were many games where we didn't get bang for our buck on the scoreline. Some was poor conversion of good scoring opportunities but the structure of the forward line wasn't always effective.

Back in 2003-6, when we had a pretty modest, if hardworking midfield, the main reason we were able to match it on the scoreboard with the dynamic midfields of teams like Brisbane, Port, West Coast etc was because our forward line was remarkably good at turning forward 50 entries into scores. MickyO, BBB, ROK, Dicky Navis, the Schneiderman and Monty worked very effectively together. They were a pretty talented group individually but together they became even more than the sum of their parts. If we could get anything close to that synergy going with Buddy, Reid, Hayward, Papley et al sitting in front of a far more dominant midfield (on its day - let's ignore the off-days when it all falls apart), going to the footy could become even more fun.

As an aside, our forward line coach during that early to mid naughties period was John Longmire, so you think he'd understand the value of a forward line coach who actually spent his playing days as a forward.
    It was a little odd that Kirk was the forwards coach. A great footy brain, but you can't really compete with someone of Stevie's quality, and understanding the modern game so well.
    Footy has changed so much in the last 6-8 years, it's almost unrecognisable strategically.

The good coaches, particularly Clarkson, are propped up by a strong modern coaching panel.

Stevie will add plenty to this panel. Both as a fresh set of eyes, but also from his knowledge of how to play footy in 2018.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    It was a little odd that Kirk was the forwards coach. A great footy brain, but you can't really compete with someone of Stevie's quality, and understanding the modern game so well.
    Footy has changed so much in the last 6-8 years, it's almost unrecognisable strategically.

The good coaches, particularly Clarkson, are propped up by a strong modern coaching panel.

Stevie will add plenty to this panel. Both as a fresh set of eyes, but also from his knowledge of how to play footy in 2018.
    Hope you're right. Kirk was forwards coach last year when we made GF so Stevie has a high bar to get over.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Great news. I haven't been satisfied with the standard of our match-day coaching for some time now. We frequently get out-coached by the good coaches and our forward structure doesn't seem to be working. Although I would have thought that the bulk of that responsibility would fall on Horses shoulders, injecting some new blood can only improve this. The logical coaching positions will be; SJ - Forward coach, Kirky - midfield coach and Tadgh/Josh/Rhyce? - back coach.

- - - Updated - - -

I think we do need that crap. Our players, supporters and club play too nice. It's time we got a little &%^ into us.
    Who out coached us game day? Did we outcoach anyone when we won 15/17?

As of ten minutes ago I am no longer a Swans supporter. I will not support a club that hired Stevie J, no matter how brilliant a footy brain he has, no matter how personable he is off the field. He set a bad example on the field by his habitual dirty tactics and if that is what is perceived as necessary to win, then I want no part of it. Goodbye.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast