Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Coaching panel

Warming the Bench
    Not the greatest source, but Tony Sheahan has suggested that Josh Francou is departing too.

Regular in the Side
    herald sun has said today that S J has moved to swans as an assistant coach. nowhere else incl swans web mentioning this whats the truth

Isn't Ryan O'Keefe an assistant coach with Adelaide (or another SA side)?

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    Isn't Ryan O'Keefe an assistant coach with Adelaide (or another SA side)?
    Crows

Veteran Site Admin
    Changes now formally announced by the club. SJ has been confirmed as a new recruit, alongside Thadhg Kennelly. Shaw moves into the senior assistant coaching ranks and Davis becomes more involved in the academy.

Sydney bolsters coaching stocks - sydneyswans.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Changes now formally announced by the club. SJ has been confirmed as a new recruit, alongside Thadhg Kennelly. Shaw moves into the senior assistant coaching ranks and Davis becomes more involved in the academy.

Sydney bolsters coaching stocks - sydneyswans.com.au
    Yes, I was just about to add Tadhg to the list of a possible Roos dynasty, as he has been coaching the U18 Allies.
    I think that it's great that he's now been added to our coaching staff, as I've always been a fan. He genuinely seems like he's fun to be around and he is renowned for his work ethic.
    Not entirely convinced by Stevie J, but I'm sure that Harley has some good reasons for the appointment.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I forgot, that Nick Davis is also a possible member of a Roos coaching dynasty.

Veteran Site Admin
    There is a bit more about SJ's coaching credentials in this article on the main AFL site. It seems like it's a bit of a coup for the Swans to secure his services.

While I've always found his onfield persona (but not talent) a bit off-putting, his footy nous has been spoken of very highly for years. And if he's had anything to do with the transformation of Toby Greene from a high-accumulating but wasteful using small midfielder to probably the smartest and most skilful small half-forward in the league, I'd love to see how he can work with Papley, Hayward. Dawson et al.

From Giant to Swan: Stevie J to coach at Sydney - AFL.com.au

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    There is a bit more about SJ's coaching credentials in this article on the main AFL site. It seems like it's a bit of a coup for the Swans to secure his services.

While I've always found his onfield persona (but not talent) a bit off-putting, his footy nous has been spoken of very highly for years. And if he's had anything to do with the transformation of Toby Greene from a high-accumulating but wasteful using small midfielder to probably the smartest and most skilful small half-forward in the league, I'd love to see how he can work with Papley, Hayward. Dawson et al.

From Giant to Swan: Stevie J to coach at Sydney - AFL.com.au
    I share your reservations about his onfield persona, but as with Buddy I look forward to the Swans working their magic.

Where's the emoticon for "drool"?
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I never liked Stevie's on field antics, but always found him a very amiable person once he got off the ground. I remember Damian Hardwick being a nasty (and even a dirty) player during his playing days, but seems very likable as a coach. So it can be hard to tell what kind of coach someone will be judging what they did as a player. Lots of successful coaches were very hard tough and often nasty players on the field.

I wonder if Tadgh will take over as the reserves coach now that he's joined the Swans and Shaw has been given a promotion.

The GC head coaching announcement should be coming soon, so we'll know the fate of Dew. With 3 new coaching appointments at the Swans, I wonder if he's the one who will get the job.

Veterans List
    Elite footy IQ, I think that can overcome the fact that Johnson has been a bit of a hot headed type on the field. SJ will be a boon for our small forwards in particular.

Welcome home Tadgh.

Rhyce Shaw came to us with a poor reputation but has turned into an outstanding person and looks to be a great footy brain, a welcome addition to the "front bench".

This really is a fair shake up of the coaching panel whilst keeping all the key players in place.

Ummmmmmmmmm.
    Stevie J teaching Buddy to kick goals???
    Oh my days.
    So he turned Toby Greene from a high-accumulating but wasteful small mid, into a dirty little tool (or perhaps, just enhanced his dirtiness)?
    Hope SJ leaves his dirtiness behind at GW$.
    We don't need that crap.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Great news. I haven't been satisfied with the standard of our match-day coaching for some time now. We frequently get out-coached by the good coaches and our forward structure doesn't seem to be working. Although I would have thought that the bulk of that responsibility would fall on Horses shoulders, injecting some new blood can only improve this. The logical coaching positions will be; SJ - Forward coach, Kirky - midfield coach and Tadgh/Josh/Rhyce? - back coach.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    So he turned Toby Greene from a high-accumulating but wasteful small mid, into a dirty little tool (or perhaps, just enhanced his dirtiness)?
    Hope SJ leaves his dirtiness behind at GW$.
    We don't need that crap.
    I think we do need that crap. Our players, supporters and club play too nice. It's time we got a little &%^ into us.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast