Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Season Review: #4 Hanners

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp

Season Review: #4 Hanners

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2...-dan-hannebery

Hanners didn't seem to stand out this year as much as previous seasons, whether that be a different role or something else??
    His form did, like a lot of the team, seemed to improve as the team started winning, or should that be the other way round.
    As I have l mentioned elsewhere, I would like to see him outside the contest next season and using his "gut" running to his advantage.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    I don't think he was fully fit this year.

He kept going but didn't seem to have the impact.

With the introduction of Papley, Heeney, Hewitt and others into the middle, his role changed a bit which probably affected his output as well.
    sprite

Dan Hannebery is slow, slow, slow. Not saying he isn't a good player over all, but when the top clubs all focus on foot speed (GWS-Tigers-Crows and last year W-bulldogs) many clubs are falling behind once the heat is on in the finals.

Hanners teased us in the early years by looking like he could be a dangerfeld/Martin/Kelly elite player, but never seems to have got there.

8/10

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Hanners teased us in the early years by looking like he could be a dangerfeld/Martin/Kelly elite player, but never seems to have got there.

8/10
    He's never had the explosiveness of a Dangerfield or Martin, or the classy footskills of a Kelly (I assume you're taking about Josh Kelly here, not PK. If you're talking about PK, his explosive pace was one of his best assets).

Martin's just had one of the best seasons on record but it's taken him some time reaching his potential. At the start of this year he'd only made the AA team once (and that was in 2016 when he got lots of the ball but was far less damaging than in 2017) compared to Hannebery's thrice. Even Dangerfield's now tally of five AAs hardly blows Hanners out of the water, especially given he's a year older.

I'm not suggesting that Hanners is capable of lifting his game to the level that Danger has (2016-17) or Martin (2017) given the previously noted lack of explosiveness (and he's a fair bit smaller than either of them too) but he's carved out a consistent and fairly well decorated career in his own right and I think most AFL players would be proud to achieve his level of performance.

It's also worth pointing out that Martin was a pick 3 back in his day (and many would have taken him at pick 1) and Dangerfield was also a top 10 pick. I suggest their size and pace, both of which have contributed to them achieving the standards they now have, were significant reasons why they were drafted so high and Hanners was drafted at pick 30.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    He's never had the explosiveness of a Dangerfield or Martin, or the classy footskills of a Kelly (I assume you're taking about Josh Kelly here, not PK. If you're talking about PK, his explosive pace was one of his best assets).

Martin's just had one of the best seasons on record but it's taken him some time reaching his potential. At the start of this year he'd only made the AA team once (and that was in 2016 when he got lots of the ball but was far less damaging than in 2017) compared to Hannebery's thrice. Even Dangerfield's now tally of five AAs hardly blows Hanners out of the water, especially given he's a year older.

I'm not suggesting that Hanners is capable of lifting his game to the level that Danger has (2016-17) or Martin (2017) given the previously noted lack of explosiveness (and he's a fair bit smaller than either of them too) but he's carved out a consistent and fairly well decorated career in his own right and I think most AFL players would be proud to achieve his level of performance.

It's also worth pointing out that Martin was a pick 3 back in his day (and many would have taken him at pick 1) and Dangerfield was also a top 10 pick. I suggest their size and pace, both of which have contributed to them achieving the standards they now have, were significant reasons why they were drafted so high and Hanners was drafted at pick 30.
    Had a great career with us. Outstanding player who does not have the power or size of Martin or Dangerfield. Courageous to a fault, especially for his weight. Premiership player who could easily have a Norm Smith medal to his name.

Senior Player
    Our best in the abject denouement and spoke with typical honesty after the game. Big game player, strong mind. Hope he's fully fit next year.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Our best in the abject denouement and spoke with typical honesty after the game. Big game player, strong mind. Hope he's fully fit next year.
    I think he was playing injured for most of the yr - he had little acceleration and his left foot kicking lacked any great penetration

Quote Originally Posted by ASSASSIN View Post
    Dan Hannebery is slow, slow, slow. Not saying he isn't a good player over all, but when the top clubs all focus on foot speed (GWS-Tigers-Crows and last year W-bulldogs) many clubs are falling behind once the heat is on in the finals.
    He may not be fast (although he is by hand and foot) but his foot speed is consistent over a whole game. He seems to be able to just run and run.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    I think he was playing injured for most of the yr - he had little acceleration and his left foot kicking lacked any great penetration
    I thought the same. Hope that means an even better year in 2018.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Had a great career with us. Outstanding player who does not have the power or size of Martin or Dangerfield. Courageous to a fault, especially for his weight. Premiership player who could easily have a Norm Smith medal to his name.
    He was BOG on GF day 2012 (IMHO). Robbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    He was BOG on GF day 2012 (IMHO). Robbed.
    And if he didn't get it AJ should have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast