Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2018 fixture

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I'm not sure that the Eagles really count as a top 6 team, even though they technically were last year. They fell into the final eight by the skin of their teeth and then survived a nail biter in the EF. Without Mitchell and Priddis, there's every chance they'll fall back a little in 2018.

Being pitched twice against Hawthorn, of all the teams in that region of the ladder we could have drawn twice, is more irritating - stinks of a little spite from the fixture makers.
    GWS will also play the Eagles twice.

Now look at the Eagles fixture. They play GWS, Sydney and Port twice as well as the Western Bulldogs and Fremantle. It's actually not an easy fixture, especially with Port in that mix and the monstering that Port just gave the draft.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

I have a 2 1/2 trip home from the SCG and with the start time it makes a long night

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Again. The WCE opener aside, our start looks very similar to this year's start.
    Just following this up, now I have a little time:

1. Port (h)
    2. Bulldogs (a)
    3. Collingwood (h)
    4. WCE (a)
    5. Giants (h)
    6. Carlton (a)

1. WCE (a)
    2. Port (h)
    3. Giants (h)
    4. Bulldogs (a)
    5. Crows (h)
    6. Geelong (a)

So, 4 of first 6 games exactly the same. The two games which are different - Crows and Geelong instead of Collingwood and Carlton - are much harder. Reckon pass mark is 3 from 6. Anything more is a bonus.

Veteran Site Admin
    Nah, who needs to bother winning any of the first six games...

Veterans List
    The Richmond game at Etihad is strange plus it is on a Thursday night. We like playing there and I'm sure Richmond would prefer it to be at the MCG.

Disappointing that we only play 2 games at the MCG.

I noticed that the name of Kardinia Park is now GMHBA Stadium. Geelong change the name of their ground every couple of years!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post

1. Port (h)
    2. Bulldogs (a)
    3. Collingwood (h)
    4. WCE (a)
    5. Giants (h)
    6. Carlton (a)

1. WCE (a)
    2. Port (h)
    3. Giants (h)
    4. Bulldogs (a)
    5. Crows (h)
    6. Geelong (a)

So, 4 of first 6 games exactly the same. The two games which are different - Crows and Geelong instead of Collingwood and Carlton - are much harder. Reckon pass mark is 3 from 6. Anything more is a bonus.
    So you think we're not as good as three of those teams? If we are as good as we think we're going to be, we should be pencilling in a 6-0 start......where's the faith?

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    The weirdest part of the fixture is in Round 3. Gold Coast play a home game against Fremantle in Perth due to the Commonwealth games. That's a neutral venue?
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    The weirdest part of the fixture is in Round 3. Gold Coast play a home game against Fremantle in Perth due to the Commonwealth games. That's a neutral venue?
    That was publicised last week. I do find it odd that they would send Gold Coast to an away venue that far away rather than just play the game at the Gabba. Presumably Freo have paid handsomely for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    I dislike the night games too. I can't take my kids even though they have memberships, and the Thursday night games are impossible for me to get to from work - I literally have not been to one Thursday night home game, and that won't change this year. Not everybody lives and works near the CBD. I find the night games are really hard to travel to and from. Public transport at that time of night can be unreliable and rather frightening and I wouldn't get home until after midnight. Not going to happen.
    Agree, I was hoping for a few more afternoon games at the SCG, when I can take my young daughters.

Obviously it gives the AFL a fighting chance, against the NRL, in the TV ratings battle....Once again the Swans doing the heavy lifting for the AFL.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Veterans List
    PLAY TWICE: West Coast, Greater Western Sydney, Geelong, North Melbourne, Hawthorn.

BYE: Round 14

FIRST FOUR WEEKS: West Coast (a), Port Adelaide (h), GWS (h), Western Bulldogs (a).

LAST FOUR WEEKS: Collingwood (h), Melbourne (a), GWS (a), Hawthorn (h).

SIX-DAY BREAKS: Eight

SWANS v HAWKS: Two chances to see the best modern-day rivalry in footy � round eight at the MCG and round 23 at the SCG
    ...... all this from afl.com.au Your club's fixture: The final verdict - AFL.com.au.... On that last one, here's an early (and maybe cocky) prediction. In the last H & A round we will cement a top two spot by smashing the Hawks at home and march into the finals as favourites for the flag .........gee I must say my 'medicine' is working well at the moment!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    That was publicised last week. I do find it odd that they would send Gold Coast to an away venue that far away rather than just play the game at the Gabba. Presumably Freo have paid handsomely for the game.
    GC have got the two Perth sides seven days apart, they probably asked for that so they'll stay in Perth for the 9 days rather than travel to Perth twice in 7 days.

We have been blessed with interstate games only having to go to Perth for R1 and the Gabba for R10, none in Adelaide. 12 games in Sydney, 7 in Melbourne plus Geelong. Richmond at Etihad must be a typo, on what basis do Richmond have to play a game there, will be a lock out.
    Last edited by 707; 31st October 2017 at 04:53 PM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    So you think we're not as good as three of those teams? If we are as good as we think we're going to be, we should be pencilling in a 6-0 start......where's the faith?
    I have faith, but some of our toughest games of the year are in that lot. The WCE and Geelong away games are, with Richmond at Docklands (helpfully), our toughest road trips of the year. We'll be doing well to beat both GWS and Adelaide. We should beat Port and the Bulldogs, but they're not straightforward, noting we lost to both last year.

GWS at the Showground and I guess Hawthorn at the MCG are the only other games as tough as those.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast