Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: 2018 fixture

Champion data ranks our draw the 14th hardest (I.e. 5th easiest)

Category: | Herald Sun

- - - Updated - - -

Fairfax gives us about the 8th hardest and predicts us coming second

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-fixture-2018-time-to-smile-for-doggies-fans-and-sunnier-days-for-gold-coast-20171031-gzc0b5.html

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    Can understand games against Saints, North, Dogs and Drug Cheats at Etihad, but why couldn't our game against Richmond be at the MCG. And again we travel to provincial Geelong. When did we have a season without a game in Geelong? I cant remember and cant be bothered looking it up.
    Yes quite strange playing Richmond at Etihad. The same thing happened to Hawthorn this year. They had to play Richmond at Etihad and strangely two Etihad teams played at the G. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    As an out of towner, this factor is disappointing - given there were relatively few day games in 2017 as well (and the ones that . While I understand the want of the club to be in the 'primetime' as much as possible, so lots of home night games is a big plus - but as someone that has a 3 hour journey each way to get to games, it makes for some long nights!

Also not necessarily overly helpful in terms of the next generation of fans - you only have to see how many families with younger children turn up to an afternoon game compared to a night game (based on my limited evidence base of the Red Zone) to see the difference it makes that way.

Pretty tough start to the season to say the least, but the draw overall looks pretty decent.
    I loathe night games, especially the 7.50 games. I know people with kids hate them too. I prefer Sunday day games or Saturday day or twilight games. This draw is crap and I definitely won't be renewing my 11 game membership. I was thinking of seeing much more local footy anyway or living OS. This has just made it all much more inviting.
    Last edited by wolftone57; 4th November 2017 at 05:01 PM.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    I notice that we start pre season training on the same timeframe as most other top 4 clubs, by my calculations the 1-4 year players have had 9 weeks off and the senior players 11 weeks. This, combined with almost no injuries, means we are well set for a good pre season and fresh start to 2018, unlike this year where we had a terrible pre season and arrived for R1 already banged up.
    I just read an article about this and I was surprised that we are starting our pre season training the same time as last year. Hopefully this still gives us enough training sessions before the season starts. I remember reading a comment by John Longmire during the year that they were only able to plan 22 pre season training sessions however the ideal is 28. And because of our injuries there were only 2 players that participated in all 22 sessions and one of them was Lloyd. Without directly spelling it out, he was concerned about the start of the year.

So seeing as Tippett and Buddy look like to be the only ones starting later, hopefully the rest get their fitness up so we don't have to come from behind again this year. Especially considering how tough the first few weeks are.

I'm looking forward to 2018. But it feels sooooo far away!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I think the tough part about the draw is that we play 4 difficult games on 6 day breaks with clubs coming off 7 day breaks: GWS and Adelaide early in the year, then our final 2 games against GWS and Hawthorn. I'm worried about these because of our performance under similar circumstances in the Geelong final loss. There is a difference in that all 4 games are in Sydney, so no travel, although the round 22 GWS game is at Spotless.
    We had 7 six day breaks last year other than the final and lost 4 of them, 2 against Hawks.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    I think you answered your own question there. Although we do have three return games against top-6 sides, one of them is against West Coast, who we must all admit, aren't that scary. It could be an easier draw, but I'm not outraged. In the end, it is what it is, and if you want to win, you have to be good enough to beat the best.

In terms of game times, I agree that evening games are a bummer to get to, but I think the club would be pretty happy with. All that TV exposure is great for the club - attracts fans, attracts sponsors. Thursday and Friday nights are the worst, what with getting there from work and no public transport to get home, but I find if I ride my bike straight from work, that's about 20-30 minutes, and about 30 minutes to ride home after the game, with no wait for traffic, so its not too bad.

Not sure that Friday night football is a great way to attract fans in Sydney. for a start Friday night footy has always been the purvey of the NRL in Sydney and is a huge tradition here. I don't know where you are based but certainly from a person with a Melbourne perspective Friday night footy would be a really huge event. But in Sydney going up against the NRL head to head on a Friday night is like being on a hiding to none. The NRL Friday Night footy is still the most popular telly in Sydney and as most Sydneysiders go to watch their teams they do watch the matches on 9 on a Friday night. So winning new fans in Sydney from Friday night footy might not be that easy. Other live broadcasts do better than the Friday games due to no NRL telecast.

So in all I think the impact of Friday night AFL footy in getting new fans and winning the hearts and souls of the uninitiated in Sydney is negligible.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I loathe night games, especially the 7.50 games. I know people with kids hate them too. I prefer Sunday day games or Saturday day or twilight games. This draw is crap and I definitely won't be renewing my 11 game membership. I was thinking of seeing much more local footy anyway or living OS. This has just made it all much more inviting.
    Your wish (or ability) to attend games should have little to do with whether you buy a membership or not. Buying a membership is the best practical way to support your club as all the money goes to the club. If membership only equates to ground admittance, then it would seem your only motive in being a member is to get into games on the cheap.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Goes up to 11
    So you're not renewing your membership because of the draw?
    The draw means very little to more than a very few. If that's your reason for going, then good riddance.

I also think the lack of day games is really disappointing. I started coming to footy as a young kid when we had a lot of Sunday afternoon games, and there's absolutely no chance that would have happened if they were all at night.

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    I am getting close to 70 and Friday night games are a little late starting for me as I live in the 'west' and don't get home until 12-12:30am (depending on how long I have to wait at central for the train, sometimes up to 30 mins), so I sometimes don't go to Friday night games and never go to Thursday night games, but will still re-new this year.
    Don't worry about living in the 'west'. I live in the lower eastern suburbs and one year I didn't get home until about 2am. Very, very inadequate public transport in my direction from the SCG, and at least 2 buses required. The second had finished by the time I managed to catch the first, and I ended up walking half the way home.Never again.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    The light rail will improve things when it�s finished.

The night games don�t bother me personally but I won�t get a chance to bring my family along as much as I�d like this year (they�d do max 3-4 games anyhow)

Sunday afternoon at the scg is the best time to watch a game imo but understand that�s probably not the clubs ideal time slot for tv and sponsors.

Veterans List
    Wish I was lucky enough to just live in the same city as my team let alone care about when the games are on.

FWIW there's no Swans game in Adelaide this year but I've already renewed my membership as a show of support for the team despite no game to attend. Don't worry about what time the games are Wolfie, I have to travel interstate to see my team!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast