Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2018 fixture

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    Can understand games against Saints, North, Dogs and Drug Cheats at Etihad, but why couldn't our game against Richmond be at the MCG. And again we travel to provincial Geelong. When did we have a season without a game in Geelong? I cant remember and cant be bothered looking it up.
    2014 and 2005 were the last two seasons.

Since 2000:

Play Geelong twice: 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2018. (10/18) - mathematical average is 6.6
    Play Geelong once at home: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2014 (all at SCG). (5/18)
    Play Geelong once away: 2007, 2016, 2017 (all at Kardinia Park). (3/18)
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by MadCanuck View Post
    Only two afternoon home games.
    As an out of towner, this factor is disappointing - given there were relatively few day games in 2017 as well (and the ones that . While I understand the want of the club to be in the 'primetime' as much as possible, so lots of home night games is a big plus - but as someone that has a 3 hour journey each way to get to games, it makes for some long nights!

Also not necessarily overly helpful in terms of the next generation of fans - you only have to see how many families with younger children turn up to an afternoon game compared to a night game (based on my limited evidence base of the Red Zone) to see the difference it makes that way.

Pretty tough start to the season to say the least, but the draw overall looks pretty decent.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    The AFL website has remarked that Sydney has a tough fixture:

* Sydney (and GWS) play three top-6 sides twice. No side plays more.
    * Sydney has eight 6-day breaks. No side has more.
    I'm not sure that the Eagles really count as a top 6 team, even though they technically were last year. They fell into the final eight by the skin of their teeth and then survived a nail biter in the EF. Without Mitchell and Priddis, there's every chance they'll fall back a little in 2018.

Being pitched twice against Hawthorn, of all the teams in that region of the ladder we could have drawn twice, is more irritating - stinks of a little spite from the fixture makers.

Happy and I know it
    Three Friday night home games and one Thursday night home game. Not happy. Do they want us all to stay home and watch it on TV?
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Swans set for blockbuster 2018 - sydneyswans.com.au
    2017 Season Fixture - sydneyswans.com.au

Disappointing we won't have a trip to Adelaide as I was planning a trip to the Adelaide Oval.

First six weeks (hmm) are quite tough before easing up leading to the bye.
    Again. The WCE opener aside, our start looks very similar to this year's start.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by erica View Post
    Three Friday night home games and one Thursday night home game. Not happy. Do they want us all to stay home and watch it on TV?
    I dislike the night games too. I can't take my kids even though they have memberships, and the Thursday night games are impossible for me to get to from work - I literally have not been to one Thursday night home game, and that won't change this year. Not everybody lives and works near the CBD. I find the night games are really hard to travel to and from. Public transport at that time of night can be unreliable and rather frightening and I wouldn't get home until after midnight. Not going to happen.
    Life's not a spectator sport

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Again. The WCE opener aside, our start looks very similar to this year's start.
    Maybe the AFL wants to see the Swans start with six straight losses again.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Blog Entries
    Why are we playing Richmond at Etihad? Weird.
    That is what I thought.
    Premiers v Finalists. Etihad will be too small.
    Unless Tiges are back to their old ways by then

Seven games in Melbourne (plus Kardinia Park) is a bonus for the large number of Victorian fans. Vic membership prices to go up again, for sure.

Are there less games in Sydney? Or, just the no trip to Adelaide replacement?

Don't want to be a bleater because that is a pretty good result but Friday nights in Melbourne rule out a family outing because my kids play hockey. I like Friday nights at the SCG because I can record and watch on delay but I usually only get to the 2nd half in Melbourne and by myself.

Of course, it is very hard to tell which teams will rise and fall next year but at first glance we appear to have very well in the draw.

I think the tough part about the draw is that we play 4 difficult games on 6 day breaks with clubs coming off 7 day breaks: GWS and Adelaide early in the year, then our final 2 games against GWS and Hawthorn. I'm worried about these because of our performance under similar circumstances in the Geelong final loss. There is a difference in that all 4 games are in Sydney, so no travel, although the round 22 GWS game is at Spotless.

Why are we playing Richmond at Etihad? Weird.
    Good for us
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast