Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-season 2018

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I wouldn't have Cunningham anywhere near Rohan. I think Cunningham has the tools to be a decent AFL player but he's stagnated a bit over the last couple of seasons. He has taken a few impressive grabs in his time but with nowhere like the frequency of Rohan - to be expected, given he's a fair bit shorter.

I think he's a good player to be in that 23rd-28th group on the list. You wouldn't particularly worry if he were in the team for a given game. But, unless something suddenly clicks with him, if he is in our best 22 this season, I don't think the team will have progressed as much as we hope it might. Marsh and Robinson are another couple in this category - competent and good depth but not able to really impose themselves on games, or even periods of games.

Okay, so I dropped by training this morning and had the great pleasure of watching a full-ground, more or less full contact game of 2 20 minute periods.

My key observation is that McVeigh is a walk-up start in the 22. He looked lively, sharp and fit. Controlled half-back, broke lines with slinky moves, including a nice two-bounce run down a wing (although he overcooked the kick at the end of it). Certain starter, and I'm sorry I even thought about omitting him, although now I don't know who to omit from my best 22. Mills was also playing across half-back.

Sinclair looked in good nick. He was rucking against Towers, who also looked good (Naismith was running laps with Lloyd). Perhaps this is a clue to team balance questions and the matter of how many ruckmen we'll play.

Foote was busy; Parker smooth and commanding. Reid also moved well.

The big surprise for me was McCartin, who looked really at home. Rampe was playing on him, but McCartin looked composed and confident, running to space and demanding the ball. May challenge for a spot. Stoddard looked like he was still finding his place, but was getting plenty of encouragement and was looking for opportunities to get involved.

Taking up some of the posts above, I noted that Cunningham was busy and very vocal off HB. Jack was playing all the way up the ground.

In game plan terms, I thought that they looked like they were looking for fast movement by hand and foot into the corridor: lots of 45 kicks in from the wings from defensive side of half way with runners streaming through for handballs from the receiver.

No noticeable absentees from the session, although several big names did not participate in the game (Hannebery, Jones, Rohan, Aliir, Franklin did not play). Heeney looked to be moving freely and everyone seemed in excellent spirits.

Oh and Joel Amarty is a big unit. Looking forward to seeing what he has got, especially after watching his ruck work on that highlights real.

A terrific way to spend a bit of time this morning (between dropping wife at work and getting my hair cut). Bring on the season.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    Okay, so I dropped by training this morning and had the great pleasure of watching a full-ground, more or less full contact game of 2 20 minute periods.

My key observation is that McVeigh is a walk-up start in the 22. He looked lively, sharp and fit. Controlled half-back, broke lines with slinky moves, including a nice two-bounce run down a wing (although he overcooked the kick at the end of it). Certain starter, and I'm sorry I even thought about omitting him, although now I don't know who to omit from my best 22. Mills was also playing across half-back.

Sinclair looked in good nick. He was rucking against Towers, who also looked good (Naismith was running laps with Lloyd). Perhaps this is a clue to team balance questions and the matter of how many ruckmen we'll play.

The big surprise for me was McCartin, who looked really at home. Rampe was playing on him, but McCartin looked composed and confident, running to space and demanding the ball. May challenge for a spot. Stoddard looked like he was still finding his place, but was getting plenty of encouragement and was looking for opportunities to get involved.

Taking up some of the posts above, I noted that Cunningham was busy and very vocal off HB. Jack was playing all the way up the ground.

In game plan terms, I thought that they looked like they were looking for fast movement by hand and foot into the corridor: lots of 45 kicks in from the wings from defensive side of half way with runners streaming through for handballs from the receiver.

No noticeable absentees from the session, although several big names did not participate in the game (Hannebery, Jones, Rohan, Aliir, Franklin did not play). Heeney looked to be moving freely and everyone seemed in excellent spirits.

Oh and Joel Amarty is a big unit. Looking forward to seeing what he has got, especially after watching his ruck work on that highlights real.

A terrific way to spend a bit of time this morning (between dropping wife at work and getting my hair cut). Bring on the season.
    Fabulous post, ORB! Especially interesting: observation re Towers rucking and its significance and comments on game plan.

Very, very excited to hear how well McCartin is doing already! Big kudos to our recruiters. However, I will be astounded if he plays AFL this year. I haven't seen him in action - I am basing this belief only on his youth and lack of experience and because he will be completing Year 12 this year.

Also good to hear that after his recent minor surgery Heeney is moving well.

Veterans List
    Thanks ORB, excellent report for us footy starved posters. We really appreciate reports from those that can make it to training in summer.

So looks like Mills is staying at HB, great news on Heeney, McVeigh benefitting from a good preseason as will KJ no doubt.

McCartin, stupidly early days but could we have got a recruiting coup and will he be the better brother? Does anyone know whether he's moved up to complete Year 12 or is he staying in Geelong this year?

Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post

Thankyou for the update.

By any chance did Hayward, Ling, Johnson or Florent take part?

Senior Player
    I really like this little video with Hewett. Well made, and he does seem a nice guy. Particularly enjoyed the comments about Kirky and the bit of footage to go with it.

Sydney Swans on Twitter: "With competitive football just around the corner, midfielder George Hewett fills us in on how his pre-season is tracking! #ProudlySydney� https://t.co/sfIZQftBlc".

Senior Player
    It seems that the Swans website is updating the player stats at the moment. There are some interesting changes that either indicate a very different group to last year in terms of physical strength, or that some players had a very merry holiday.

Melican +5kg
    Florent +6kg
    Hayward +5kg
    Ronke +4kg
    Maibaum +2kg
    Dawson +4kg
    Robinson +3kg
    Naismith +4kg
    Even KJ +4kg

It looks like Lewis M is now in the category of being able to handle gorillas and seems the obvious successor to Reg.

Also, the additional bulk on Dawson, Ronke, Hayward, Florent and Pink is very significant in terms of their ability to compete in the physical stuff.

Naismith is an interesting one, the extra weight could really help if it wasn't just a good holiday.

Robinson and KJ though?
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

I am always wondering who will be the successor to Nick Smith (or, God forbid - the injury cover).

The 'small forward' set up has been increasingly seen across the AFL in recent years, and in Nick we have had the top 'lock down' player. Our recent recruitment seems to have been directed towards speed and skill in rebounding and our list now has a range of players who are used in the back line or with potential

Nick is listed as 183 cm and 80 kg. Florent now listed as 183 and 80 and Jack as 178 and 81.

Thoughts?

I think harry mash could do it for closing speed and also has the counter attack

He is definitely faster then smith when I have watched them at training and has a very good long kick and high mark

But smithy is the master of his trade and it would be a step by step to see who could fill his boots

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    I think harry mash could do it for closing speed and also has the counter attack

He is definitely faster then smith when I have watched them at training and has a very good long kick and high mark

But smithy is the master of his trade and it would be a step by step to see who could fill his boots
    I�ve always thought Marsh could be Smiths successor if he sticks around long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    I wonder if our defence will have more run and carry this year with Rhyce Shaw at the helm?

I think we will with Shaw there. He encouraged the likes of Sam Murray, Aliir Aliir and Colin O'Riordan to break the lines and set up play with run and carry. This allowed the forwards space to run into either back or forward because it was so quick.

There seems to be another case of scale-tampering at the SCG. I doubt that Sinclair has lost 6 kilos and is now 3 kilos less than Sam Reid. The Tippett retirement was probably orchestrated to distract the AFL ethics committee from focusing on this scandal.

Hopefully we are still a few years away before having to find a replacement for Smith. Rory Laird and Neville Jetta seem the best prototypes for that role IMO. I would like to see Florent given some time in that role as he has similar attributes to these 2. Jake Lloyd may well find himself 'inheriting' that role as his defensive skills continue to improve. It could well be the most natural and seamless move in a few years time.

I love Lloyd playing his role now

Maybe inheriting a little of Macca�s role ie general and receding short kicks in etc but Lloyd is a weapon in his role

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast