Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Best 22

Rookie Draft #14: Angus Styles - sydneyswans.com.au

Interesting watching styles again and then seeing his improvement thru out 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    No, it isn't. Melican and O'Riordan have both been promoted to the seniors. While Fisher has been delisted, and as far as I know, he hasn't been re-rookied.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    No, it isn't. Melican and O'Riordan have both been promoted to the seniors. While Fisher has been delisted, and as far as I know, he hasn't been re-rookied.
    That's correct, Melican & O'Riordan now on senior list.

Okay, with KT gone, and four weeks until the intraclub, time to get the magnets out again.

The team I want to run out in Round 1

B Rampe, Grundy, Smith
    Melican Aliir LLoyd

Centre Hannebery Kennedy Heeney
    Followers Sinclair Parker Jones

F Papley Reid Franklin
    Jack Rohan Hayward

I Newman Towers Hewitt Mills

E Fox Florent Dawson

No room for McVeigh; this means that Lloyd has to step up to the back half organiser role.

Towers will have to show heaps to retain the spot, but it's his to lose, particularly if we go in with a one ruckman set-up.

I really want to see Fox, Florent and Dawson in the team, but they will have to wait for injuries or signs of age in, say, Jack.

I do think that Jack showed enough last year to suggest that if he gets through an injury-free preseason he will have the legs to go on, and to be an important rotation through the midfield.

Is anyone else planning on getting to the intraclub? Perhaps a meet up?
    Last edited by O'Reilly Boy; 23rd January 2018 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    Okay, with KT gone, and four weeks until the intraclub, time to get the magnets out again.

The team I want to run out in Round 1

B Rampe, Grundy, Smith
    Melican Aliir LLoyd

C Hannebery Kennedy Heeney
    F Sinclair Parker Jones

F Papley Reid Franklin
    Jack Rohan Hayward

I Newman Towers Hewitt Mills

E Fox Florent Dawson

No room for McVeigh; this means that Lloyd has to step up to the back half organiser role.

Towers will have to show heaps to retain the spot, but it's his to lose, particularly if we go in with a one ruckman set-up.

I really want to see Fox, Florent and Dawson in the team, but they will have to wait for injuries or signs of age in, say, Jack.

I do think that Jack showed enough last year to suggest that if he gets through an injury-free preseason he will have the legs to go on, and to be an important rotation through the midfield.

Is anyone else planning on getting to the intraclub? Perhaps a meet up?

I'm expecting to hear from barry on this one (particularly the Rohan selection).

So barry, how about we compromise? I've given up McVeigh, so can I keep Rohan? We'll set him some kpis if it helps:

Let's say an average per game over the first six rounds of
    �3 marks
    �1.6 goals
    �1.5 goal assists
    �4 tackles
    �1.1 life-threatening speccies charging into a contest
    �0.2 hamstring twinges

Can't see Macca playing ressies.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Can't see Macca playing ressies.
    Goodesy did. Rhino did.

Goodesy did. Rhino did.
    and maybe Macca will keep his place�the reports of his strong preseason suggest that he may be well up and going.

I was a bit spooked by the loss to Geelong, where we were found out in the back six, playing Cunningham rather than another tall to help Grundy.

Mellican is important to the set-up. Aliir is something of an unknown quantity, so it is all very interesting. What is the right behind the ball set-up? With Macca the trade off is smarts v speed. Does Lloyd bring both? Does playing Aliir give us another attacking option, while also potentially freeing Rampe from having to play on a tall forward?

I'm a big McVeigh fan, and thought that what he brought to the team last year once he got fit was the difference between the chaos and panic of the first six weeks and what ensued. So composed, so clear, such a leader. I am interested to see, however, how both he and the team handle his transition out of that role, and whether the others�in particular Lloyd�have been apprenticed into that organiser/steady rock role.

A great position for the team to be in. I love summer, but am counting the days until footy starts again (not least because my 10 year old daughter is going to rip it up in her second season with the Willoughby Wildcats).

and maybe Macca will keep his place�the reports of his strong preseason suggest that he may be well up and going.

I was a bit spooked by the loss to Geelong, where we were found out in the back six, playing Cunningham rather than another tall to help Grundy.

Mellican is important to the set-up. Aliir is something of an unknown quantity, so it is all very interesting. What is the right behind the ball set-up? With Macca the trade off is smarts v speed. Does Lloyd bring both? Does playing Aliir give us another attacking option, while also potentially freeing Rampe from having to play on a tall forward?

I'm a big McVeigh fan, and thought that what he brought to the team last year once he got fit was the difference between the chaos and panic of the first six weeks and what ensued. So composed, so clear, such a leader. I am interested to see, however, how both he and the team handle his transition out of that role, and whether the others�in particular Lloyd�have been apprenticed into that organiser/steady rock role.

A great position for the team to be in. I love summer, but am counting the days until footy starts again (not least because my 10 year old daughter is going to rip it up in her second season with the Willoughby Wildcats).
    Hopefully by the time she's old enough we'll have an AFWL team.

Veteran Site Admin
    I dropped in and watched a bit of training yesterday. Didn't stay long because it was very hot, even relatively early in the day. But one thing I did notice was that Macca was fully participating in all the drills and he looked very sharp. A large number of our established senior players were watching from the sidelines, so it was especially noticeable that McVeigh (and Jack) were a couple who were fully involved.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I dropped in and watched a bit of training yesterday. Didn't stay long because it was very hot, even relatively early in the day. But one thing I did notice was that Macca was fully participating in all the drills and he looked very sharp. A large number of our established senior players were watching from the sidelines, so it was especially noticeable that McVeigh (and Jack) were a couple who were fully involved.
    The big knock on Macca is his running ability. If having a full preseason for the first time in 4 years fixes that then he�ll absolutely retain his spot, surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    The big knock on Macca is his running ability. If having a full preseason for the first time in 4 years fixes that then he�ll absolutely retain his spot, surely?
    Macca has always had a good tank. I don't have access to last year's tracker info but he was often in our top few players for distance covered. The problem is that he now covers that distance more and more slowly.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast