Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Best 22

All comes down matchups vs opposition and how flexible we want to be in our exit transitions

The area we got punished against the Hawks was our exits and same again in the second final

We need more run and carry obviously hence 3 players we went for in the draft styles, Ling and soddart yet the trade off is loosing a player like macca who receives the short pass and then posts up brilliantly for the next play

I�m looking forward to watching Ollie develop and potentially get a spot where jones, lloyd, Ollie and mills rotate thru the HBF

Ollie is so composed and has shown minimal in Snrs in comparison to what he looks like at training

He had a runwithrole in 2017

Let�s see what happens in 2018

Noteable ommiasion also is a player the coaches seem to like to include in our 22 for balance / matchups

Harry Cunningham

What�s everyone�s thoughts re Cunningham?

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Noteable ommiasion also is a player the coaches seem to like to include in our 22 for balance / matchups

Harry Cunningham

Still young, Can be very quick and last year learnt your to take. As much as I love Rohan being in our team I would put Harry in ahead of him, I think he is better fwd than back.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Still young, Can be very quick and last year learnt your to take. As much as I love Rohan being in our team I would put Harry in ahead of him, I think he is better fwd than back.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    I wouldn't have Cunningham anywhere near Rohan. I think Cunningham has the tools to be a decent AFL player but he's stagnated a bit over the last couple of seasons. He has taken a few impressive grabs in his time but with nowhere like the frequency of Rohan - to be expected, given he's a fair bit shorter.

I think he's a good player to be in that 23rd-28th group on the list. You wouldn't particularly worry if he were in the team for a given game. But, unless something suddenly clicks with him, if he is in our best 22 this season, I don't think the team will have progressed as much as we hope it might. Marsh and Robinson are another couple in this category - competent and good depth but not able to really impose themselves on games, or even periods of games.

Veterans List
    Agree Liz, Cunningham isn't best 22, neither is Robbo and definitely not Foote who I thought incorrectly got games ahead of Dawson who was a class above in the NEAFL at that time.

Last years team remember had a fair proportion who didn't complete anywhere near a full preseason and was therefore always behind other teams. That we did so well is a testament to the players. I remember Horse pointing this out and he indicated only two players out of the entire squad did sufficient preseason "units" and significantly one of these was Lloyd who really stepped it up in 2017.

This year, touch wood, most of squad is fully participating in training and has had the longest post season break we've had for some years so fitness levels will be very high heading into the season. But to ensure we are there again at the pointy end we need to have a handful of newer players as best 22.

Champion Data rates our best 22 and list as the best in the league with 17 players rated Elite (top 10% of their position) or Above Average (top 35% of their position). That's a mighty good start, all on deck only five players not Above Average or better! What we need is for younger players with higher skill levels to push out the fringe players. So who are these players?

Hayward had a remarkable season for someone only 18 and slightly built, I think he will cement a place.

Aliir was rated on the cusp of Elite after his 2016 season, if you've got any of his games from that season go and watch how good he actually was, easy to forget.

Dawson, should have been promoted given his constant BOG NEAFL games from mid season. Can find the footy, take a mark and gives it a roost.

Florent was thrown in the deep end due to injuries but looks to have pace, skills and smarts to push claims further.

Nothing drastic needed, just need these players to displace current incumbents for us to rise again.

With tippet retiring, towers is an auto selection.

Harry Cunningham

Seemed to be out of favour last year. Currently is a depth player. Probably getting do or die for his career in the next year or two. Needs to step up.

Actually he was injured most of last season HC

When he got over injury he slotted back in

I think he is still a contender given his versatility as an outside player forward middle or back

Senior Player
    Actually he was injured most of last season HC

When he got over injury he slotted back in

I think he is still a contender given his versatility as an outside player forward middle or back
    Played brilliantly in a couple of games at Etihad before injured. His speed and role playing still warrants a place on list.

sen.com.au have published a 2018 best 22 for the Swans: 2018 AFL Preview | Sydney�s Best 22. It's a pretty uninspired, conservative selection. I think they are clearly mistaken in selecting a side with neither Melican nor Aliir - at least one of these two players will be part of our best 22. Those they have missing out include: Melican, Aliir, Sinclair, Dawson, COR. The interchange is Newman, Towers, Florent, Hayward. One of these will have to miss to make room for Melican/Aliir - judging by last year, most likely to be Florent. But if he excels at pre-season then could be someone else. Really do feel confident about our list this year. Good depth.

Veteran Site Admin
    I think Nick Smith might be quite upset at being left out of the group of designated "stingy defenders", though Mr Sicari does credit him (and others) with being able to switch into that role, if needed.

Veterans List

Harry Cunningham

Not good enough. Not hard enough. Only gets a touch against the bottom teams. Doesn't get his shorts dirty. If we have few injuries then I will be a monkey's uncle if he gets a game.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast