Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 2018 Best 22

  1. #1

    2018 Best 22

    I thought it might be time to start this discussion here rather than continuing in other threads.

    I reckon we will see the following as our best 22:

    B: Nick Smith, Heath Grundy, Dane Rampe
    HB: Jake Lloyd, Lewis Melican, Zak Jones
    C: Dan Hannebery, Josh Kennedy, Callum Mills
    HF: Isaac Heeney, Sam Reid, Oliver Florent
    F: Will Hayward, Lance Franklin, Tom Papley
    R: Kurt Tippett, Luke Parker, George Hewett

    I: Nic Newman, Aliir Aliir, Jordan Dawson, Matt Ling

    I think McVeigh and Jack will be semi-regular members of the team but I do think that we will try to get more speed and run in via Florent and one of our new draftees in Ling. I have been a fan of Towers but he becomes depth player. Toss a coin between Tippett, Sinclair, and Naismith.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I thought it might be time to start this discussion here rather than continuing in other threads.

    I reckon we will see the following as our best 22:

    B: Nick Smith, Heath Grundy, Dane Rampe
    HB: Jake Lloyd, Lewis Melican, Zak Jones
    C: Dan Hannebery, Josh Kennedy, Callum Mills
    HF: Isaac Heeney, Sam Reid, Oliver Florent
    F: Will Hayward, Lance Franklin, Tom Papley
    R: Kurt Tippett, Luke Parker, George Hewett

    I: Nic Newman, Aliir Aliir, Jordan Dawson, Matt Ling

    I think McVeigh and Jack will be semi-regular members of the team but I do think that we will try to get more speed and run in via Florent and one of our new draftees in Ling. I have been a fan of Towers but he becomes depth player. Toss a coin between Tippett, Sinclair, and Naismith.
    Towers may be depth, but if he doesn’t play who pinch hits in the ruck?

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Towers may be depth, but if he doesn’t play who pinch hits in the ruck?
    Ludwig has convinced me that Aliir can do this job.

  4. #4
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Crowland :-(
    Posts
    2,817
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    Ludwig has convinced me that Aliir can do this job.
    Tell him he's dreaming!

  5. #5
    Warming the Bench
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    362
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I thought it might be time to start this discussion here rather than continuing in other threads.

    I reckon we will see the following as our best 22:

    B: Nick Smith, Heath Grundy, Dane Rampe
    HB: Jake Lloyd, Lewis Melican, Zak Jones
    C: Dan Hannebery, Josh Kennedy, Callum Mills
    HF: Isaac Heeney, Sam Reid, Oliver Florent
    F: Will Hayward, Lance Franklin, Tom Papley
    R: Kurt Tippett, Luke Parker, George Hewett

    I: Nic Newman, Aliir Aliir, Jordan Dawson, Matt Ling

    I think McVeigh and Jack will be semi-regular members of the team but I do think that we will try to get more speed and run in via Florent and one of our new draftees in Ling. I have been a fan of Towers but he becomes depth player. Toss a coin between Tippett, Sinclair, and Naismith.
    I think McVeigh will be in and out this year but as long as Jack is fit he'll be best 22 for sure. From our NEAFL team last year the players I'm looking to step up are Aliir, Dawson and O'Riordan. Would be great if Cameron is fit and fights his way above our other Ruckmen or plays as a tall forward. I don't mind playing 2 Ruckmen as long as they can actually present up forward

  6. #6
    I think that's a pretty good best 22. However I think towers finally stood out and made a real impact as a pinch hitter in the ruck. I'd have him on the bench instead of Ling.

    Not sold on Florent being a member of the seniors yet but a good preseason could prove me wrong

  7. #7
    Veterans List Ludwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chiang Rai
    Posts
    5,180
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Tell him he's dreaming!


    Aliir, Reid, Parker and Dawson can all take a few ruck contests a game. For real!

    If Rohan is fit, he's in the side. Not predicting, but certainly hoping he gets through the preseason and has a breakout year.

    I doubt Ling will be a regular in the senior side, but it's not out of the question that he starts round 1. I don't have Fox in my side, but he also has to be in the frame. I think Horse will be pushing his selection given it's a now or never year for him and he managed to get a few games early last year.

    Here's is a repost of my best 22 from the trading thread:

    Seniors

    FB Melican Grundy Smith
    HB Lloyd Aliir Rampe
    C Jones Mills Hanners
    F Cameron Kennedy Parker
    HF Reid Franklin Heeney
    FF Papley Rohan K Jack
    INT Hewett Newman Dawson Hayward


    Reserves


    FB Johnson Maibaum Marsh
    HB O'Riordan Pink Stoddart
    C Harrry-C Robbo Ling
    F Naismith Towers Ronke
    HF Florent Amartey Fox
    FF McCartin Sinclair Rose
    INT Styles Foote Bell Brown


    Injury List: Tippett, McVeigh

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    If Rohan is fit, he's in the side. Not predicting, but certainly hoping he gets through the preseason and has a breakout year. ]
    Hmmmm. Somehow I totally overlooked Rohan. I agree he is in the side for Ling. I do expect Ling and/or Stoddart to be given a debut for their pace.

    What this process highlights is that we have a really good squad. Expectations should be for top four finish as a minimum.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Towers may be depth, but if he doesn’t play who pinch hits in the ruck?
    If they don't change the rule, no-one. If they do, anyone.

  10. #10
    The article on AFL.com.au has the following team as our best 22:

    B: Nick Smith, Heath Grundy, Aliir Aliir
    HB: Jarrad McVeigh, Dane Rampe, Jake Lloyd
    C: Dan Hannebery, Josh Kennedy, Zak Jones
    HF: Kieren Jack, Sam Reid, George Hewett
    F: Will Hayward, Lance Franklin, Tom Papley
    Foll: Kurt Tippett, Luke Parker, Isaac Heeney
    I/C: Callum Mills, Nic Newman, Oliver Florent, Dean Towers

    Notable omissions include Rohan, Melican, and Sinclair.

    BTW, the Essendon best 22 looks seriously good to me.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO