Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

2018 NEAFL Draw

Record number of regional matches headlines 2018 NEAFL Fixture � NEAFL

Swans games
    R1 - Giants SCG (AFL Swans v Giants)
    R2 - Lions Burpengary
    R3 - Bye
    R4 - Suns Lismore
    R5 - Aspley SCG (AFL Swans v North Melbourne)
    R6 - Giants Spotless (AFL GWS v West Coast)
    R7 - Southport SCG (AFL Swans v Fremantle)
    R8 - Lions Gabba (AFL Lions v Swans)
    R9 - Sydney Uni SCG (AFL Swans v Carlton)
    R10 - Redland Coorparoo
    R11 - Suns Metricon (AFL Suns v St Kilda)
    R12 - Bye
    R13 - Lions BISP
    R14 - Giants Wollongong
    R15 - NT Thunder TIO
    R16 - Suns SCG (AFL Swans v Suns)
    R17 - Bye
    R18 - Lions SCG (AFL Swans v Collingwood)
    R19 - Canberra Phillip Oval
    R20 - Giants Spotless (AFL GWS v Swans)
    R21 - Suns SCG (AFL Swans v Hawthorn)

2018 games breakdown

• Giants 4
    • Lions 4
    • Suns 4
    • Aspley 1
    • Canberra 1
    • NT Thunder 1
    • Redland 1
    • Southport 1
    • Sydney Uni 1

2017 games breakdown

• Giants 3
    • Lions 3
    • Suns 3
    • Canberra 2
    • NT Thunder 2
    • Sydney Uni 2
    • Aspley 1
    • Redland 1
    • Southport 1

So they've taken away 1 game each against Canberra, NT and Uni to play the other 3 AFL clubs to create a really lopsided draw. However given the thrashings some of the non-AFL sides received at the hands of the AFL sides last year, I think both groups should be happy with that.

Scheduling NEAFL Round 1 with AFL Round 3 means that the last week of the regular seasons of both competitions will be on the same week.

The amazing news is that only one game is scheduled for Blacktown, but of course the weather might have something to say about that when the games come around next year. Newcastle game now in Wollongong and we also play the Suns away in Lismore.
    Last edited by ugg; 1st December 2017 at 02:34 PM.

I'm selfishly happy with the Wollongong game. Closer to home for us!

Senior Player
    Seven curtain raisers sounds good.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

The Lismore game will probably have more Suns supporters than ours. When I lived there most of the people were excited by the introduction of the Suns. Even died in the wool NRL supporters were going for the Suns.

The problem I have with the lopsided draw, in both AFL & other comps, is that playing nearly all the weak sides does not make for a good finals series if the weaker sides make it. The trouble is they get slaughtered at the business end of the season. It creates a false impression of the comp. The AFL do this evening up crap in every comp. It's bull@@@@. They should just leave it to fate and then let the clubs come to the correct conclusion of 'We need to get better by recruiting and developing'. Not all good players in NSW are going to come through the Academy system and even if most do they are not going to be able to all play for an AFL Reserves team. The other thing is go out and get sponsorship to buy marquee players.
    Last edited by liz; 1st December 2017 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Please don't quote long posts in their entirety. It makes threads hard to read for those on phones or tablets

This is probably the most appropriate place to post that Craig Bird and Brandon Jack will be joining Sydney Uni next season.

Veterans List
    Happy that we're playing the other three AFL sides more. It's not about results, it's about strong competition. Uni should become a very strong side, the more strong sides the better.

Now to work out the dates to see if I can catch the ressies as I wander around the country grey nomad style next year.

I'm sorry there are no Drummoyne or Henson park matches. Why not? Those grounds are lovely. On the other hand, great that there are so many curtain raisers.

I'm happy to see that Birdy is going to return to NSW and play on with the Students. They should make finals easy with a softer draw. The Thunder and Aspley a fair chance of making finals also I would think. Students may even finish on top. GWS have lost some depth but if they have a better run with injuries they could still be stronger opposition. Lions should be stronger this year as their depth is growing. Don't know about the Suns.

I have heard, second hand so take it for what it's worth, that the Swans don't like playing at Henson Park because they don't think the surface is up to scratch.

Now that you mention it, I think I have heard something similar (possibly in a previous post of yours) but I just wish they would play there anyway. I wonder how much difference it makes in preparing them for seniors.

A game out at Phillip Oval down here in Canberra will be interesting - I'm sure we played there in the old days of being in the Canberra comp, but its a long while ago now.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Which Canberra team had Philip Oval as its home ground?

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    I have heard, second hand so take it for what it's worth, that the Swans don't like playing at Henson Park because they don't think the surface is up to scratch.
    This seems a bit precious to me. Surely the AFL's influence is great enough to get the surface up to scratch, they've invested in that place over the years. Someone's dropped the ball here. The Swans and the Students ought to be playing in the inner city as much as possible to make NEAFL more relevant in Sydney!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast