Page 101 of 418 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,212 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Good NEAFL form is some indication, but Cameron has been the dominant player in the NEAFL. He's beaten all comers, including ruckmen with AFL experience. He led the NEAFL in ranking points by a huge margin. He takes marks all around the ground and is a proven goal kicker, both in the NEAFL and WAFL. And he's done it week in and week out without a fall off in form. He's 204 cm. He's been praised by his coach, Kennelly, every week.

I'm baffled why he's only played a half a game of AFL. I call it a big mistake by Longmire.

I can't see any club wanting Naismith until he can get through a season without injury. I'm a fan of Naismith, but his injury record is a very big concern.
    The ruck position must be the biggest challenge from a list management point of view especially now that the trend is to play only one. Three just doesn't go into one.

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    I agree, Cameron needs to have a decent chance at AFL level. The game against Canberra Demons, where he has 72 hit outs and over 30 disposals is crazy, against a quality ruckman. The last person that had those types of numbers was Tom Mitchell. Yes the guy that is $1.45 favourite to win the Brownlow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Shows how cheap NEAFL stats are, if Mitchell can have 70-odd hit outs - no wonder Horse wouldn’t pick him!

Kidding

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Good NEAFL form is some indication, but Cameron has been the dominant player in the NEAFL. He's beaten all comers, including ruckmen with AFL experience. He led the NEAFL in ranking points by a huge margin. He takes marks all around the ground and is a proven goal kicker, both in the NEAFL and WAFL. And he's done it week in and week out without a fall off in form. He's 204 cm. He's been praised by his coach, Kennelly, every week.

I'm baffled why he's only played a half a game of AFL. I call it a big mistake by Longmire.

I can't see any club wanting Naismith until he can get through a season without injury. I'm a fan of Naismith, but his injury record is a very big concern.
    So many times in the past there have been examples of ruckmen blossoming when they are given the number one ruck job. Sinclair is a good example. While Sinkers is in good form Darcy is not going to get the no.1 role. In a pre season game Darcy was THE ruckman and showed us what he can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    So many times in the past there have been examples of ruckmen blossoming when they are given the number one ruck job. Sinclair is a good example. While Sinkers is in good form Darcy is not going to get the no.1 role. In a pre season game Darcy was THE ruckman and showed us what he can do.
    Jolly, Mummy, Ball, Pyke (to a lesser extent) ... we’ve made an artform of it

Nankervis ... it cuts both ways though

Veteran Site Admin
    Ruckmen do often take until they are 23 or 24 before they really start having an impact. Grundy and Nankervis are a couple of exceptions to this rule.

I recall Michael Gardiner doing his knee sometime in the early naughties and the media wondering how West Coast would cope, given how important he was for their game. But they rolled out an unco-ordinated, unheralded guy who was around 23 at the time and had been on their list for a couple of years after being picked up as a rookie. Enter Dean Cox.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Genuine question - while some AFL players have had good careers after return from ACL knee ops, are there good examples of success with ruckmen?

I am wondering if the particular stress on knees from ruck contests makes them more vulnerable both before and after ACL problems.

I note that Nic Naitanui did his left knee in a ruck contest (and has since had a left knee reconstruction) after returning from a right knee reconstruction.

I am a bit nervous re relying on a successful Naismith return.
    I think it is true of players of any size. Some make seamless returns and are never bothered again, while some have second, third (or even more) subsequent ruptures. Patton, Clay Smith, Dan Menzel, Naitanui, Malceski and, of course, AJ, are examples of players of various sizes who have had recurrent knee issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Sinclair has been fantastic this year and such a revelation. Our midfield has managed to adjust to us losing heavily in the hitouts. We play the stoppages defensively, which is something anticipated after we lost Naismith.

The problem with Sinclair is that he's not a good tap ruckman and gets dominated by the better ones in the game. We lost the hitouts 63-31 against McEvoy, which has been typical this year and even worse when we go up against Gawn and Grundy. Cameron can put up a much better fight in the ruck contests and hopefully can grow to give a real good contest to even the best ruckmen. It's because of this that I feel Cameron will eventually win the #1 ruck spot. Sinclair makes a very solid backup for both the ruck position and key forward; he could yet see a fair amount of game time given injuries to KPPs.

Tom Morris said during his trade talk update on OTC tonight that "St Kilda are almost certain they will land Hannebery, which is a blow to the Swans who will have to work out a trade deal with St Kilda". Tom seems to have forgotten Hannebery has 3 years to run on his contract & the Swans can hold onto him if they wish to do so ( both Harley & Longmire have indicated he's a required player). Tom was talking like Hannebery is coming out of contract or is a Free Agent!

Tom also mentioned Geelong have offered Luke Dahlhaus 4yr X $500k contract which the Bulldog can't or willing to match.
    Jarryd Polec to North Melb is just about over the line.
    North are also 50/50 chance landing Andrew Gaff.
    St Kilda offering Daniel Menzel 2 year deal (Geelong just one year).
    Increasing noise surrounding Dylan Shiel to Essendon.
    Mitch McGovern to Carlton is on the cards.
    Last edited by KSAS; 27th August 2018 at 11:18 PM.

Veteran Site Admin
    There is a suggestion on SEN that Gaff's only non-WA offer is coming from North (and that the dollars involved aren't that high - Lycett is more highly sought after).

It makes zero sense to me that clubs like Carlton and St Kilda wouldn't be making big dollar offers to Gaff. He's a quality player and they have oodles of cap space to spare, plus he won't cost them anything trade wise if he comes as a free agent. Why would the Saints want the older Hannebery over Gaff as a free agent? (Possibly they could try for both.)

Ludwig, I would be very happy to be proved wrong about Cameron. Really hope he gets given the chance to prove you right.

Re: Gaff, I wondered if he might be on the Swans radar?

Something about the Hanners / Lloyd business doesn’t feel right to me. That the clubs rumoured to be involved would have picks 3 or 4 in the draft made me wonder if the Swans do have their eye on a player before Blakey and are prepared to offload a player of that caliber to draft them? Either that or a major free agent coup like Gaff.

I read somewhere today: SEN that Shiel may be off to our nemesis the Hawks.

Most of these trade rumour always seem to be one way. From nonvic to Vic clubs.
    Is it just the natural Melbourne media bias or are non Vic teams having a hard time keeping players.?

Reporters on both On the Couch and FootyClassified tonight saying that Hanners is heading to the Saints. I’m still at a loss how this can happen without the Swans agreeing given he is under contract for several more seasons? Am I missing something? Are they desperate to offload him? I can only see that scenario if they are made a good offer for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk