Page 106 of 418 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110116156206 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,272 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Sam McClure saying on SEN this morning that the Saints are after a priority pick at the end of round 1 of the draft which they will try to use to get Hannebery as they are not willing to let go of their pick 4. (they have got to be dreaming!!!!)
    He stays then, although I'd be happy with their 2019 first, will be a low number :-)

Veteran Site Admin
    Sam McClure saying on SEN this morning that the Saints are after a priority pick at the end of round 1 of the draft which they will try to use to get Hannebery as they are not willing to let go of their pick 4. (they have got to be dreaming!!!!)
    I can't see how the AFL can keep a straight face if it gives the Saints a priority draft pick after being so stingy with them to the Lions and Dees in the recent past. Carlton and Gold Coast, maybe (though I don't think they're the answer), but the Saints were only a game away from making the finals last year.

I also don't think that pick 22 or so would be close to adequate trade compensation if Hanners does request a trade to the Saints.

I see Sam Naismith has signed for another 3 years, but still no sign of Jake Lloyd doing the same.
    Hope this doesn't push Darcy Cameron away.
    Getting worried.

Sounds like they've been swayed but the outrage from their supporters. Maybe they can throw in a player too?

There’s no way Saints should get a priority pick. The fact that they are sacking everyone except the coach implies their problems are self-inflicted.

With Hanners, if we let him go then I conclude that the club believes he’s not going to get close to his AA form of the past.

In which case he’s not worth giving up pick 4 for (even if they get our 1st round pick in return).

We will need the cap $ to spend on another player more than the draft picks as I don’t think he’ll be replaceable in the short term with a draftee.

Having said that Swans may have their eye on a player in the draft before Blakey and want pick 4 for that.

• If STK get a priority pick, everyone will want one, especially Freo and Brisbane. It wasn't all that long ago that the Saints were the strongest team in the league. It's not like they've been going through a long rebuild when compared to some other clubs. I think the Saints and the AFL might be trying to manufacture a way to get Hanners to the Saints without losing that coveted pick #4. But it's that pick #4 which makes the Hanners trade palatable. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.
    • I was surprised we gave Naismith 3 years, given his history with injury. I don't know why 1 year would not have been enough and see how he goes next year. He must be recovering well and the medical staff are confident he will get back to full fitness.

Veterans List
    Getting concerned about dilution of our current picks values with FA compo and talk now about giving Carlton & GC first round picks before the finalists picks.

If say we get beat by GWS and finish 7th, we should have got pick 12 which would almost cover matching a pick for Blakey at 7/8. Now GC will get pick 3 for Lynch, Carlton & GC get picks after the non finalists, pushes out 12 to 15. Gaff goes pushes out later picks by a total of four places. We'd now burn most of our second round pick as well.

That's the problem with Compo and Priority picks, it hurts clubs who aren't doing anything wrong.

On the veteran's list
    McVeigh signs a one year contract extension. One less spot left for newbies, but a good signing.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

McVeigh signs a one year contract extension. One less spot left for newbies, but a good signing.
    I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm very happy.
    He has experience and leadership qualities you just can purchase off the shelf.
    He's definitely proved his worth.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

For some reason this to me tells me lloyd is gone.

I truly hope not. We seem to be leaking a lot of top end talent the last few years

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post

I truly hope not. We seem to be leaking a lot of top end talent the last few years
    Who, besides Mitchell?
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post

I still lament the loss of Tom Derickx.