Page 107 of 418 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111117157207 ... LastLast
Results 1,273 to 1,284 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    For some reason this to me tells me lloyd is gone.

I truly hope not. We seem to be leaking a lot of top end talent the last few years
    There was a time when it was hard to find an ex-Swans player doing well at another club. There were some decent players (like Scott Stevens) but no stars. Now we look at Hawthorn and see Mitchell, and St Kilda and see Membrey, and the Tigers and see Nankervis. All left the Swans, at least in part, for greater opportunity. Even Mitchell, who was a regular senior but not getting as much on-ball time as he is now at Hawthorn. Then there are lesser lights who have had some success (Biggs) or still making their way (Murray - apart from his current problem).

I think this reflects an improvement in our talent selection and development as much as anything. You can't hang onto good players and play them in the NEAFL side for very long. Other clubs will come a-knocking, just as we did when we lured Mumford from Geelong and Kennedy from Hawthorn.

Who else needs to sign contracts?
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I still lament the loss of Tom Derickx.
    Yeah we know. It's going to take awhile to come to terms with that, but take some comfort from the fact that
    the thoughts & best wishes of the RWO community are with you through this difficult time.

I still lament the loss of Tom Derickx.
    We lost him to modelling, a bitter pill to swallow

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Word out of Adelaide is Cam Ellis-Yolman linked to Sydney. Silly season indeed
    I think CEY would be a good pick-up for the club, especially if we do lose Hannebery. He probably wouldn't cost much, either at the trade table or in salary cap terms and he's a big bodied and experienced midfielder with more pace than JPK and Parker and who tackles well. His skills aren't top notch but they've always looked OK to me whenever I've seen him play for the Crows. He's capable of doing a lot of the heavy lifting in the midfield, allowing the likes of Florent, Hayward, Heeney, Papley to use their pace and/or skills more on the inside.

He seems to be behind Greenwood in the pecking order at the Crows, and they are similar kinds of player. I can see why he might look elsewhere for more opportunities. I read a few weeks ago that Brisbane had their eye on him and thought at the time it would be good if he preferred a slightly more southern climate. I think he's exactly the kind of cheapish player we should be looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think CEY would be a good pick-up for the club, especially if we do lose Hannebery. He probably wouldn't cost much, either at the trade table or in salary cap terms and he's a big bodied and experienced midfielder with more pace than JPK and Parker and who tackles well. His skills aren't top notch but they've always looked OK to me whenever I've seen him play for the Crows. He's capable of doing a lot of the heavy lifting in the midfield, allowing the likes of Florent, Hayward, Heeney, Papley to use their pace and/or skills more on the inside.

He seems to be behind Greenwood in the pecking order at the Crows, and they are similar kinds of player. I can see why he might look elsewhere for more opportunities. I read a few weeks ago that Brisbane had their eye on him and thought at the time it would be good if he preferred a slightly more southern climate. I think he's exactly the kind of cheapish player we should be looking at.
    I agree with all of this. He's looked good at times, but has been injured often. He'll have a lot in common with the rest of the Swans' ACL club. The Swans will need a fundraiser to expand the rehab facilities.

I don't know much about him, but he seems like the sort of player we need to help out in the midfield.

- - - Updated - - -

Although apparently Lachie Neale is open to be traded out of Freo. He'd be a pretty handy in too.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post

Although apparently Lachie Neale is open to be traded out of Freo. He'd be a pretty handy in too.
    I think Neale is open to being traded out of Freo because Brisbane have come knocking on the door with a big money offer and have indicated they'll give up their first round pick to get him. If true, it's a smart move by the Lions. They don't need any more talented kids, and someone like Neale is exactly the kind of player who will bring ball winning nous and experience to their side. Freo might go for it too, especially if Neale is keen. He becomes a free agent next year, so getting a top 5 (or probably top 6) pick for him now may be more appealing than waiting a year. If he does go next year as a FA, he possibly isn't guaranteed to get them tier one compensation pick (though might). And this year there are two Kings on offer, one of which will probably be available at the Lions' pick. That's exactly the kind of player they need.

I think Neale is open to being traded out of Freo because Brisbane have come knocking on the door with a big money offer and have indicated they'll give up their first round pick to get him. If true, it's a smart move by the Lions. They don't need any more talented kids, and someone like Neale is exactly the kind of player who will bring ball winning nous and experience to their side. Freo might go for it too, especially if Neale is keen. He becomes a free agent next year, so getting a top 5 (or probably top 6) pick for him now may be more appealing than waiting a year. If he does go next year as a FA, he possibly isn't guaranteed to get them tier one compensation pick (though might). And this year there are two Kings on offer, one of which will probably be available at the Lions' pick. That's exactly the kind of player they need.
    If we could get pick 4 from Saints for Hanners then on trade it to Freo for Neale? He's only 25

If Freo are considering trading Neale, they must be worried about losing him to free agency next year. They will have pick 6 anyway, which should get them one of the King brothers. Maybe they're willing to throw in an Ace for a pair of Kings.

Neale would be an awfully good player for Freo to lose, especially with Mundy near the end of his career. As you say, it would be a very nice get for Brisbane.

On another matter, I see St. Kilda have delisted 3 highly rated injury prone players in Freeman, Goddard and Wright. How different their situation might have been had they all clicked. We can probably add Paddy McCartin to that list as well. The 3 have all played some football this year, so you have to think that they've just had enough of carrying players that just can't get through even a fair fraction of a season.

It makes the 3 year deal for Naismith even more surprising. We are building a nice portfolio of injury prone players.

Veterans List
    ........It makes the 3 year deal for Naismith even more surprising. We are building a nice portfolio of injury prone players.
    and more to be added - pun intended :-)

Jake Lloyd was interviewed by Andy Maher on SEN today.

“It’s been my priority all along to stay in Sydney”: Lloyd

I frankly found the whole interview rather distasteful. The first half of the interview was spent talking about Buddy Franklin. Then Maher was goading Jake by saying that maybe it was time for him to leave the club for more money. And finally, the reason we signed McVeigh for another year was in anticipation of Lloyd leaving, even though Jake said he was planning to stay at the Swans and negotiations were going well.

I don't think there's any doubt that Lloyd with sign on. It may well be that the possible Hannebery trade could be holding up a final deal, pending the amount of cap space freed up if Hanners leaves, some of which might be going to Lloyd. He could probably sign right now for less money than he wants, but prefers wait to see if the salary situation improves after post-season dealings.*

* I just noticed that there were a few similar thoughts along this line posted on the McVeigh thread.