Page 11 of 418 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Great news to see Will signing up for another year.

Hoping Ling can have a bit of a run at it this year too

Yep it is awesome
    So clever to keep the momentum with Ollie and Hayward on the snr field as well as contracts

Great news on Will's extension. It's good to see both he and Ollie getting a run in the firsts. I like the way our midfield is building.

Now who to resign next? There's a few critical players coming off contract this year. Hope we get the following signed with a minimum of fuss:
    Aliir Aliir
    Heath Grundy
    Jake Lloyd
    Sam Naismith
    Nic Newman@
    Nick Smith
    Dean Towers

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    Now who to resign next? There's a few critical players coming off contract this year. Hope we get the following signed with a minimum of fuss:
    Aliir Aliir
    Heath Grundy
    Jake Lloyd
    Sam Naismith
    Nic Newman@
    Nick Smith
    Dean Towers
    I'm pretty sure we will sign everyone we want.

On Reg, we can wait and see how things pan out at the end of the year. Even if he's a depth player next year, he's probably worth another year. It may depend on how Maibaum and AJ go. If they get through the year looking like AFL material, then maybe Reg should hand up the boots.

If it looks as though Naismith is heading for a successful recovery I would offer him a rookie contract. He's unlikely to see senior footy next year. We can see him through next season and make a long term determination then. Not dissimilar the the AJ situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    Great news on Will's extension. It's good to see both he and Ollie getting a run in the firsts. I like the way our midfield is building.

Aliir Aliir
    Heath Grundy
    Jake Lloyd
    Sam Naismith
    Nic Newman@
    Nick Smith
    Dean Towers
    Pretty relaxed about our re-signs this year. We could conceivably cover any of those guys seeking a trade or retiring

I could see Newman possibly getting an offer down in Melbourne if we don't offer up a competitive salary. Smith I would think will re-sign for sure. Towers is also firming as a re-sign. Aliir will depend on form an opportunities, if Reg stays on and he sees little footy I wouldn't blame him for asking for a trade. Of the lot Lloyd would be the one I'd be actively trying to sign up to a longer term deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Papernick View Post

I could see Newman possibly getting an offer down in Melbourne if we don't offer up a competitive salary. Smith I would think will re-sign for sure. Towers is also firming as a re-sign. Aliir will depend on form an opportunities, if Reg stays on and he sees little footy I wouldn't blame him for asking for a trade. Of the lot Lloyd would be the one I'd be actively trying to sign up to a longer term deal.
    I agree that Newman is a real chance to be traded if he doesn't secure a regular spot this year. I would think a lot of clubs would be interested in him.

Reg will be 33 next year. I don't think he'll be playing for another club.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I agree that Newman is a real chance to be traded if he doesn't secure a regular spot this year. I would think a lot of clubs would be interested in him.

Reg will be 33 next year. I don't think he'll be playing for another club.
    I meant Aliir not Reg

I like Newman as a player but if a club comes knocking offering him a good deal that we can�t or won�t match them we may trade him and he�s have some currency

Quote Originally Posted by Papernick View Post
    I meant Aliir not Reg

I like Newman as a player but if a club comes knocking offering him a good deal that we can�t or won�t match them we may trade him and he�s have some currency
    One of the reasons we keep hearing Tom Harley mentioning his name when it comes to who is coming into the side soon is that we are well aware that he will be in very high demand regardless of his performance (which seems strange to say, but other clubs will back his potential). I don't know what we will offer him, but I have little doubt he would draw between 2 and 2.5 million over 4 years from other clubs, or perhaps more if he has a good season. I think he would be inclined to stay with any reasonable offer.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    ................... I have little doubt he would draw between 2 and 2.5 million over 4 years from other clubs, or perhaps more if he has a good season................
    My maths says you are saying Newman is worth 500 to 600+k per season over 4years?

I very much doubt anyone will be coming for him with anywhere near that kind of contract, including us. This is a player who was dropped from the seniors last week.

I do want him to stay however.

I am guessing it would be a Murray or Mitchell situation where he fills a need so another club values him way more than us.

Squad management and who gets games this season will be interesting. Fox, Jones, Newman and Aliir did not play last week. And there would be less established players like Maibaum, Ling, Dawson, Cameron, Amartey, Bell, Stoddart, Ronke and McCartin who would be hoping to get games this season.

Of those I think Dawson will get a few games otherwise it is three seasons of reserves football. Ling as an early draft pick may get a few games. Maibaum could get opportunities because we don't have a lot of key defender depth. Ronke and Stoddart seemed to have best preseason form. I don't think McCartin can directly replace Reid as a figurehead marking target but may get a chance mid season by being an available natural forward.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    My maths says you are saying Newman is worth 500 to 600+k per season over 4years?

I very much doubt anyone will be coming for him with anywhere near that kind of contract, including us. This is a player who was dropped from the seniors last week.

I do want him to stay however.
    I bolded Aliir in Papernick's quote to indicate my reference was to him, not Newman. Does the bold typeface work on your computer or phone? It would be good know for future posting.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    I am guessing it would be a Murray or Mitchell situation where he fills a need so another club values him way more than us.

Squad management and who gets games this season will be interesting. Fox, Jones, Newman and Aliir did not play last week. And there would be less established players like Maibaum, Ling, Dawson, Cameron, Amartey, Bell, Stoddart, Ronke and McCartin who would be hoping to get games this season.

Of those I think Dawson will get a few games otherwise it is three seasons of reserves football. Ling as an early draft pick may get a few games. Maibaum could get opportunities because we don't have a lot of key defender depth. Ronke and Stoddart seemed to have best preseason form. I don't think McCartin can directly replace Reid as a figurehead marking target but may get a chance mid season by being an available natural forward.
    I think it�s pretty simple, we give games to those that earn them.

Having said that I�d think Dawson is ready and form willing is the obvious option to get a game with a spot in the forward line available.

I wouldn�t be surprised if none of our draftees get a senior game this year. Mccartin is a young KPF, stoddart needs another preseason in the gym and Ling can�t seem to get started