Page 14 of 418 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veterans List
    Interesting development in the 'mid season draft' discussions:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-1...o-nonvic-clubs

Makes sense to me that it is unfair to non Vic clubs.......in which case the A(V)FL will probably do it.

Veterans List
    On foxsports.com.au AFL news - this is the headline "Three-club fight looms for special father-son talent". Who do you think they're referring to?

The article does however talk about a host of other likely top picks.

I HATE the idea of a mid-season draft. Seems to me it would be very damaging to club cohesion. Am I over reacting?

Omg mid season draft could be the definition of ecstasy for our old mate �Ludwig�

A symphony of hypothesis might appear on this forum

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I HATE the idea of a mid-season draft. Seems to me it would be very damaging to club cohesion. Am I over reacting?
    No!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Omg mid season draft could be the definition of ecstasy for our old mate �Ludwig�

I actually don't like the idea. I think lists are big enough to cover most contingencies and list management is part of building a successful club.

But I do like like live trading during the draft and would support that change if it came to pass.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

But I do like like live trading during the draft and would support that change if it came to pass.
    Can you explain why? That's a genuine question of curiosity rather than an argumentative question. I genuinely don't understand how people think it would work, or what benefits it would deliver to clubs. Can you provide a scenario (maybe using a recent draft), where two clubs might have landed up trading draft picks part way through a draft. Do you think it would have been a selling club putting out feelers for bids for their pick, or a buying club approaching another to obtain their pick.

And do you think the clubs have sufficiently developed negotiation skills to make this work, given at least half the clubs have an egoistical need to "win" every trade (or at least convince themselves and their supporters that they won the trade). Many clubs struggle to complete trades in the two weeks in October they are allocated to trade. Will they be able to pull anything off in the 10 or so minutes that they might have available during live trading?

Veterans List
    Interesting rumour going around that the draft will be conducted over two days, I assume something like first and second rounds live on TV at night then the remaining rounds and rookie draft the following day.

Also rumoured that the trade period will be cut to Monday to the following Monday, probably because most of the trades are done on the final day anyway.

The trading of live picks during the draft bemuses me, like others on here, I can't see why or how it would get done given the long drawn out process to trade a few bits and pieces during trade week/decimal week/fortnight or whatever it goes on for. So Carlton dashes in during the draft to see us offering pick 20 for our picks 28 & 32? How on earth would we decide whether that's a suitable deal given we've already got targets for our two picks and picks are being used on potential players as we try and come to a decision?

Too much looking at American sports by those in the AFL Ivory Tower just to create a TV spectacle, sheesh, give me a break!

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Interesting rumour going around that the draft will be conducted over two days, I assume something like first and second rounds live on TV at night then the remaining rounds and rookie draft the following day.

Too much looking at American sports by those in the AFL Ivory Tower just to create a TV spectacle, sheesh, give me a break!
    Nail. Hammer. Direct hit. Probably the only reason the AFL would support it would be to create TV drama (therefore ratings and bidding interest from multiple broadcasters). Why does it all have to be about "industry growth"?

However, if you think about the points system around academies/FS, priorities and tactics for the Swans (for example) could change very quickly depending on where Blakey goes in the draft.

As far as mid season draft is concerned, I am not going to dismiss the concept outright. A team can potentially be hobbled by a series of injuries early in a season and having an outlet to plug gaps might be workable. Or it could also be a loan system like soccer has where rookies are shared temporarily.

I don't have strong opinions one way or the other or working solutions but is it not worth a conversation at least?

Regular in the Side
    Why the dislike for a mid season draft. We picked up Dale Lewis mid season and he was a very good get.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Can you explain why? That's a genuine question of curiosity rather than an argumentative question. I genuinely don't understand how people think it would work, or what benefits it would deliver to clubs. Can you provide a scenario (maybe using a recent draft), where two clubs might have landed up trading draft picks part way through a draft. Do you think it would have been a selling club putting out feelers for bids for their pick, or a buying club approaching another to obtain their pick.

And do you think the clubs have sufficiently developed negotiation skills to make this work, given at least half the clubs have an egoistical need to "win" every trade (or at least convince themselves and their supporters that they won the trade). Many clubs struggle to complete trades in the two weeks in October they are allocated to trade. Will they be able to pull anything off in the 10 or so minutes that they might have available during live trading?
    I don't know how trading on draft day will go in the AFL. It might have to be quite limited because of the way player contracts are structured.

I don't know all the details of the NBA draft, but it seems that players have less to say about where they get traded, so the clubs have a lot more flexibility. One thing I have noticed about the NBA is that a minority of players are with the club that drafted them after 2 years, many not even lasting till the first season.

Suppose we were really keen on Tom McCartin, but he was taken a pick or 2 before our second pick. Perhaps we might trade our current 2nd round pick plus a future pick, which might be enough to pull off the trade.

Suppose we get to our 1st round pick in this draft and no one has bid on Blakey. We might sell our first round pick for later or future draft picks, knowing we could draft him with 2nd round picks.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 19th April 2018 at 03:48 PM.

Just to be clear, I'm pretty sure 'live trading' only includes picks - not players.