Page 287 of 418 FirstFirst ... 187237277283284285286287288289290291297337387 ... LastLast
Results 3,433 to 3,444 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Trade period not over yet but seems like we cleared cap space to bring in some players and not many want to come. That sucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the Rookie List
    Probably a fair trade based on the Hannebery performances of 2018. If the Saints get him back to 2016 form it is a bargain and good luck to them. I suspect (hope) that this is part of a broader strategic move that involves getting someone decent in, say Langdon, and a massive salary dump that frees up room for something big next year.
    Something that I just thought about, Ryan Clarke apparently has great running power (like Hanners), can win his own ball (like Hanners), is cheap (unlike Hanners) and is fit and healthy (also unlike Hanners). Perhaps this is more a Clarke for Hanners trade than a Clarke for Rohan trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    I must have missed the gun performances of Hanners in 2018 - can you remind me which ones they were?

And how many players would you have moved on to match the Hawks' offer on Mitchell? Lloyd, Allir?
    Don't be a Harley apologist now.

Hanners ? Jack? Towers?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    we get screwed again. Happens all the time the swans must be almost the worst group when dealing with trades, maybe we should have gone for dogoro (I know its spelt wrong but the
    Essendon guy) or perhaps the Hawks guy or get Pelchen in to teach our traders. To trade hanners for vitually nought is scandalous Blakely would want to be a champion. I am tempted to give up my membership (currently over 50 years) I am disgusted with this. I guess we want get Langdon which makes it worse. The Swans need to be advised of the outrage from most supporters. Piock 30 was bad enough but to give up Hanners and pick 28 is outrageous.
    Take a BEX and have some faith.....

Quote Originally Posted by Cainit View Post
    Forgot about Florent
    You welcome to.....the club and most of the fans will not. He is a gun.....

Now that Hogan is staying at the Demons, they won't be chasing Stephen May (so they said anyway).

Which means the Wobbles are a top chance to secure May if he decides to move...You'd think

Which in turn means Langdon will be more expendable to the Wobbles...You'd think.

Which in turn enhances our chance of securing Langdon....You'd think.

I'm searching for some positives out of today, and this is the best I can come up with.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    I'm sure most of the senior Swans are reading this thread with tears in their eyes.
    Actually, I think they'd be having a bit of a giggle at some of the 'experts' on here and the amount of 'outrage' on display .....or did you actually mean 'tears' of laughter?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    Mate you've been spruiking our depth and up and coming midfield for a while. Why the sudden change in heart.
    Yeah, that post and pic had me asking the same question.....

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    From reading the comments and thinking about the Hanners' trade, I believe that football people will focus on it heavily over the coming few years. Essentially it's a salary dump trade given the Swans got so little in return, so history will see it one of 3 ways depending on what transpires from now.

One, if he returns to his form of 2016 and before then it will be seen as a huge win for the Saints. Perhaps one of the most one-sided trades in recent history. Second, if he continues to struggle, then a brilliant trade by the Swans to ruthlessly recognize his decline and unload a player being paid elite salary to deliver mediocre performance. Third, he performs to average levels (no star but a reasonable contributor). Then considered a mutually beneficial trade maybe slightly in the Saints favour. Whatever the outcome it will be watched closely by the AFL community!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    ......and do we as Swans give a flying **** what the AFL 'footy world' thinks? I know I don't.....
    Last edited by stevoswan; 12th October 2018 at 05:03 PM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimitron5000 View Post
    Something that I just thought about, Ryan Clarke apparently has great running power (like Hanners), can win his own ball (like Hanners), is cheap (unlike Hanners) and is fit and healthy (also unlike Hanners). Perhaps this is more a Clarke for Hanners trade than a Clarke for Rohan trade.
    I think this is clearly the case, and we won't misuse him as a halfback like North did.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    Now that Hogan is staying at the Demons, they won't be chasing Stephen May (so they said anyway).

Which means the Wobbles are a top chance to secure May if he decides to move...You'd think

Which in turn means Langdon will be more expendable to the Wobbles...You'd think.

I'm searching for some positives out of today, and this is the best I can come up with.
    Well, it beats the negative bleating that dominates this thread at the moment......

I think we are now in the position we can only just scrape together the picks/points for Blakey and Langdon.
    Touch and go. Unless the Pis are willing to take Saints 2019 2nd rounder for Langdon - probably pick 20-25.
    In that case we can get Langdon, Blakey and another good kid in the 2nd round.

- - - Updated - - -

Would 18 + 26 get May? Equivalent of a pick 6-7. Seems fair to me.
    Let GC decide if they would prefer 26 now or Saints 2019 2nd rounder.

Hoping we somehow manage to get Langdon with our pick 40 to help ease the loss of our pick 28 with Hannebery, but doubt it. Still don't know if Langdon wants to leave Pies anyhow.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I find the HPN analysis interesting and there certainly is a lot of merit in their system. It does produce some strange anomolies however, like Jake Lloyd being valued higher than Jeremy McGovern and Callum Sinclair being rated the league's 3rd best ruckman after Grundy and Gawn.

Stats are useful and something to hang your hat on, but it doesn't tell the whole story.

There was always a question about how Hanners should be valued, as well as how he was actually valued by the 2 clubs in the trade. Now we know that he wasn't valued very highly. The Saints took the part of an Insurance company by assuming the risk on Hannebery and we paid (very roughly speaking) around 1000 value points betting that Hanners wouldn't return to form by taking what appears about the net value lost from an in-form Hanners. The Saints assumed huge cost in signing Hanners for 5 years at roughly his current salary.
    Wouldn't shock me if Dan got back to his old fitness levels. The aspect that had totally dropped off for me was his disposal - never an elite ball user, it got to the point where you'd look away when he had the ball, often when he was under little pressure. It's tough to see how that is going to change.

Nevertheless, the Saints have got someone who has bled for his team every time he's pulled a jumper on - he'll always be a beloved Swans warrior in my mind.