Page 292 of 418 FirstFirst ... 192242282288289290291292293294295296302342392 ... LastLast
Results 3,493 to 3,504 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Hey Liz

I saw it earlier in the year when freeo were supposedly positioning for J McGovern, lobb 2019 and potentially coniglio back to WA

I think it was on the roar site and there was mention of gws maybe wanting ed Langdon as part of the swap with lobb and a couple posters said they heard the swans were keen for the Langdon brothers in particular the speed of ed Langdon

From that time I noticed ed Langdon playing for freeo and was impressed as the guy is electric and tenacious

But wouldnt cost the farm
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 13th October 2018 at 11:19 AM.

Veterans List
    Cannot believe what is happening at GWS, something has gone seriously wrong there, how can they be $2mill over cap as that what it looks like from players they are chucking out the door. Receiving clubs will play hard knowing they have cap issues.

We are bemoaning the loss of Hanners & Rohan cheaply, players who most here don't have in their best 22 going forward, but GWS! Lobb, Shiel, Scully (for junk pick), Setterfield, Finlayson, and talk of Patton now, that is serious talent walking out. FA hits them next year with their initial squad entering the window. I might be wrong but they are on the wheel of diminishing returns.

I think gws had the time re the salary cap

They decided to go for it 2018 win a gF

They held onto so much $$$ talent and could have got amazing trades last year but decided to go for the title with less return this year in trades due to needing to let go of $$$

Regular in the Side
    I think most of us have been looking at the Hannebury trade the wrong way. If we say the Hanners went for pick 39 which is still not good but OK if compared with Rohan who went for pick 61. The Swans were left with picks 26, 28, 33, 38, 39, 40, and 70 with points attached. Seven picks and you can only take as many picks into the draft as players you are prepared to take. At present we have five players off our senior list and two players on which equates to taking three players in the draft or via trading. We have too many picks as a result of trading our pick 13 for three picks. Obviously we were planning to use one or two picks to get Vandenburg which fell through and one or two in getting Langdon which also might not happen.

It was then very desirable to turn pick 28 in the middle of the second round into a 2019 second round pick which St Kilda helped us out with though of course we packaged this with Hanners for pick 39. It obviously would have been better if we could have prised St Kilda out of their pick 4 but they were not coming to the party on that and we had blown our chances by trading our pick 13 by this stage so pick 39 was the best St Kilda could offer.

Still a bad trade as we should have hung out for 2019 second round for Hanners and kept 28 but I guess we were just a bit too keen to move Hanners on. I will get over our poor trading eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    If we say the Hanners went for pick 39 which is still not good but OK if compared with Rohan who went for pick 61.
    If the Rohan trade looks bad, how about North trading Clarke for that same pick 61? In the end, we just swapped Rohan for Clarke, which seems a win for us.

Suspect that Brad Scott was on vacation and Chris was surreptitiously filling in at North. He just wanted to get Rohan to Geelong for a cheep price and sacrificed Ryan Clarke in the process. Well, why not? It's not his club anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Cool, so if you think he will get back to AA form, post it here so we can all recognise where you stand.

I don't think he is capable of getting to AA form at all. I'm not sure he would be in our best 22 next year.
    I think he will be injured early next year and miss a massive chunk and offloading him will be seen in hindsight as a masterstroke.
    Right now I think we got unders for him based on current facts and potential and ignoring my personal thoughts
    But I'm hoping that at the end of the trade period, the big picture indicates a win for the Swans overall.

Feel free to bookmark this and repost if Hanners stars at the Saints and say "I told you so"
    Cure, it's not a pissing contest between posters of 'i told you so'.

If the club trades away a brownlow medalist and a player who goes on to be AA again, then that is incompetent list management. Pure and simple. No buts or maybe's.
    Last edited by liz; 13th October 2018 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Please don't try to evade the swear filter. Just type the word and let the filter make its decision

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    I meant (sarcastically) that they would all be very sad about the forum posters being unhappy
    Got ya! .....and I agree!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    If hanners gets back to his AA form, it will be worse than the Mitchell trade.
    Massive 'if' Barry but one thing IS certain......we can always rely on you to come up with a massive negative.

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    I think most of us have been looking at the Hannebury trade the wrong way. If we say the Hanners went for pick 39 which is still not good but OK if compared with Rohan who went for pick 61. The Swans were left with picks 26, 28, 33, 38, 39, 40, and 70 with points attached. Seven picks and you can only take as many picks into the draft as players you are prepared to take. At present we have five players off our senior list and two players on which equates to taking three players in the draft or via trading. We have too many picks as a result of trading our pick 13 for three picks. Obviously we were planning to use one or two picks to get Vandenburg which fell through and one or two in getting Langdon which also might not happen.

It was then very desirable to turn pick 28 in the middle of the second round into a 2019 second round pick which St Kilda helped us out with though of course we packaged this with Hanners for pick 39. It obviously would have been better if we could have prised St Kilda out of their pick 4 but they were not coming to the party on that and we had blown our chances by trading our pick 13 by this stage so pick 39 was the best St Kilda could offer.

Still a bad trade as we should have hung out for 2019 second round for Hanners and kept 28 but I guess we were just a bit too keen to move Hanners on. I will get over our poor trading eventually.
    That’s a very astute observation

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    If the Rohan trade looks bad, how about North trading Clarke for that same pick 61? In the end, we just swapped Rohan for Clarke, which seems a win for us.

Suspect that Brad Scott was on vacation and Chris was surreptitiously filling in at North. He just wanted to get Rohan to Geelong for a cheep price and sacrificed Ryan Clarke in the process. Well, why not? It's not his club anyway.
    So, are you saying that Brad is actually the evil twin?
    Personally, I could make a case for either one.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    So, are you saying that Brad is actually the evil twin?
    Personally, I could make a case for either one.
    I think they're a tag team. I think Chris told Brad he would make it up to him later if he just gave us Clarke for nothing so he could get the Rohan deal done. The both have other deals to work on and just wanted to get this one out of the way. I'll be watching closely after the player trade period closes and the pick swap phase kicks in, just to see if Geelong send some draft pick value to North.

Ryan clarke is solid but he is a bit behind the players below at his club but r Clarke had difficult roles generally running with the dangerous HFF or wingers so excellent training and initiation into the AFL

Plus Clarke was at HBF or Wing or sometimes middle so tough start

North’s midfield and HBF line was pretty good last two years and we’re strong in possession and Cunnington, Higgins, Anderson were more the go to guys with the others in support in the middle

Zeibel
    Cunnington
    Higgins
    Anderson
    Dumont
    Atley

Then the exciting emerging midfielders
    Ahern
    Simpkin

Plus the newbies
    Polec
    Pittard
    Hall?
    ?

I think clarke looks very keen though and macca will no doubt be a great help

I wonder if Ryan arke may initially get the in and underrunwith role that Hewett had

that may free Hewett a little more to play his Toby Greene HFF role he played a year or so ago

Ie posting up, taking that short lead mark outside 50 and then distributing on the HFF

I thought Hewett was very good at this role 2016/17 and would help our entries in to our forward line even better

Either way Hewett is a gem and played his runwith role brilliantly in the mids this season
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 13th October 2018 at 03:51 PM.