Page 293 of 418 FirstFirst ... 193243283289290291292293294295296297303343393 ... LastLast
Results 3,505 to 3,516 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Cure, it's not a pissing contest between posters of 'i told you so'.

If the club trades away a brownlow medalist and a player who goes on to be AA again, then that is incompetent list management. Pure and simple. No buts or maybe's.
    It's not a pissing contest and you obviously didn't see the smilie face at the end of that line.
    Maybe I should have use the tongue smilie. Semantics.

Anyway, your statement above only holds water if your contention right now is that you personally expect Hanners to get back to AA form.
    You'd be the only one here, and kudos to you if that is actually what you think and it happens.

In the other hand, if that is just a random statement based on some remote possibility that he can get AA form back, then it's irrelevant as you could say that about Rohan, and any other player we traded.

I could say right now "if Rohan develops AA form or wins the Saints B&F then it was incompetent list management.

Or "if Towers is drafted by some team and plays 15+ games next season and is an instant mark down for their best 22 week in week out than that was incompetent list management by the Swans.

So your statement is true, and so are my statements.
    But mine are irrelevant because it's just me purely speculating.
    So what I'm getting at, is whether you are happy to lose Hanners and what you think would have been a fairer deal (single pick trade)
    Last edited by liz; 13th October 2018 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Please don't try to evade the swear filter. Just type the word and let the filter make its decision
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    It's not a pissing contest and you obviously didn't see the smilie face at the end of that line.
    Maybe I should have use the tongue smilie. Semantics.

Anyway, your statement above only holds water if your contention right now is that you personally expect Hanners to get back to AA form.
    You'd be the only one here, and kudos to you if that is actually what you think and it happens.

In the other hand, if that is just a random statement based on some remote possibility that he can get AA form back, then it's irrelevant as you could say that about Rohan, and any other player we traded.

I could say right now "if Rohan develops AA form or wins the Saints B&F then it was incompetent list management.
    If Rohan does that, I’d be astounded!!

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Or "if Towers is drafted by some team and plays 15+ games next season and is an instant mark down for their best 22 week in week out than that was incompetent list management by the Swans.

So your statement is true, and so are my statements.
    But mine are irrelevant because it's just me purely speculating.
    So what I'm getting at, is whether you are happy to lose Hanners and what you think would have been a fairer deal (single pick trade)
    If Towers is drafted by the Blues or Suns, fair chance he will play all 23 games, win their B&F & top their goal kicking!!

But overall I do agree with you
    Last edited by goswannies; 13th October 2018 at 04:29 PM.

It's a shame none of the talented Giants looking to move on, or be moved on, don't want to stay in Sydney...

Scully for a 3rd rounder would do for starters.

Where are the love interests, when we need them?

Or are the Giants still refusing to deal with us?...That would seem a little petulant if it's so.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    It's a shame none of the talented Giants looking to move on, or be moved on, don't want to stay in Sydney...

Scully for a 3rd rounder would do for starters.

Where are the love interests, when we need them?

Or are the Giants still refusing to deal with us?...That would seem a little petulant if it's so.
    I'd say, possibly to a lesser extent, that we have a similar cap problem.

@@@@ing hawthorn. If GWS trade Scully there for a third round pick their members ( all 8 of them - and Barry) should burn their memberships. That’s a disgraceful decision. He’s worth a late first round pick or early second round pick. Easily. Just because he wants to go there doesn’t mean you pull your pants down in the trade. Parallels with us and hanners but 5 times worse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read with Scully, GWS are prepared to trade him to the Hawks for peanuts (pick 50 odd) because the Hawks would take on his entire salary.

This seems to be the basis of the Hanners deal. Saints have effectively taken on the rest of his $800k a year deal and got a triple AA for a future pick in the 30s.

They will probably be paying $800k a year for a dud. But allegedly they can afford to do this.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I read with Scully, GWS are prepared to trade him to the Hawks for peanuts (pick 50 odd) because the Hawks would take on his entire salary.

This seems to be the basis of the Hanners deal. Saints have effectively taken on the rest of his $800k a year deal and got a triple AA for a future pick in the 30s.

They will probably be paying $800k a year for a dud. But allegedly they can afford to do this.
    Whereas Hawthorn, who we hate, get a continuing gun in Scully for peanuts......

I must say, their cap seems limitless.

Scully is “only” on about $500k a year

It's the AFL which is forcing the giants to trade out player as they reduced the cap extension too early. I feel the flood gates have opened and losing Lobb, shiel, skilly, setter field, and God know who else will put them out of premiership contention so those players hanging in there for a flag will go to.

AFL is creating another basket case club. Didn't give them enough time to establish themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

Skilly=scully

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    It's the AFL which is forcing the giants to trade out player as they reduced the cap extension too early. I feel the flood gates have opened and losing Lobb, shiel, skilly, setter field, and God know who else will put them out of premiership contention so those players hanging in there for a flag will go to.

AFL is creating another basket case club. Didn't give them enough time to establish themselves.
    It’s a fair bit of talent to lose in one trade period, almost unprecedented.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Scully is “only” on about $500k a year
    That’s the puzzling part. Surely there would be other clubs prepared to offer to take that salary on ( if not more ) and offer proper compensation

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    That’s the puzzling part. Surely there would be other clubs prepared to offer to take that salary on ( if not more ) and offer proper compensation

There are. Saints for one.